Bradleys Head Lizard

TobyW

Nursing a cracking hangover I headed down to Clifton Gardens to get some fresh sea air into my bloodstream.. Not much going on and wind was coming on from the East so decided to move around to bradley’s Head. Pulled out the plastics and opened a pack of Pumpkinseed Gulp that Ive been hearing so much about.

Second cast delivered this little 63cm lady.. She shook her head all the way to the beach..I was casting with a 20knt wind behind me so had 70m to bring her in.. Great fun on 6lb Fireline.. Put her back in hope of a smaller model for dinner but ended up going through the rest of my pumpseed plastics for no more fish… Lots of hits though, just no hookups..

post-5303-1200622205_thumb.jpg

post-5303-1200622248_thumb.jpg

I seem to be going through heaps of plastics without as many fish.. Are there any ways of improving the hookup rate by placing the hook further down the plastic? Seems the tail is always first to go and then the buggers will eat around the hook….

The plastic that hooked this lizard was almost bunched up around the jig and the hook exited plastic just before the tale bit after the thin section .. ( know what I mean!!?).. th main issue is this limits the tail movement alot

I’d be interested to hear how others are rigging their plastics?

Cheers

Nursing a cracking hangover I headed down to Clifton Gardens to get some fresh sea air into my bloodstream.. Not much going on and wind was coming on from the East so decided to move around to bradley’s Head. Pulled out the plastics and opened a pack of Pumpkinseed Gulp that Ive been hearing so much about.

Second cast delivered this little 63cm lady.. She shook her head all the way to the beach..I was casting with a 20knt wind behind me so had 70m to bring her in.. Great fun on 6lb Fireline.. Put her back in hope of a smaller model for dinner but ended up going through the rest of my pumpseed plastics for no more fish… Lots of hits though, just no hookups..

I seem to be going through heaps of plastics without as many fish.. Are there any ways of improving the hookup rate by placing the hook further down the plastic? Seems the tail is always first to go and then the buggers will eat around the hook….

The plastic that hooked this lizard was almost bunched up around the jig and the hook exited plastic just before the tale bit after the thin section .. ( know what I mean!!?).. th main issue is this limits the tail movement alot

Cheers

looks like you might have found some leather jackets down there mate, not much you can do maybe bring down jig and lure size to try get them to swallow it, similar thing was happening to me and a mate then my mate jagged a big fan belly in the side thats whats making me think leather jacket.

nice flattie too mate good luck getting a new pb your other ones a monster :1prop:

Cheers

nice flattie mate!could be your plastics getting hit by small chopper tailor or similar,any resonable size flatty would swallow that no worries.[still maybe you could go down a size or two and see what happens]

Great fish mate,

I use the same plastic and have the same problem in that area (Clifton & Bradleys) its those damm tailor usually and believe it or not i caught a puffer the same size as the lure the other week..

I also had some good luck with that lure with whiting but its a hit with the flathead for sure...

Great flatty mate!!!!!

Those Ian Miller Rack Raider rods are unreal. ( unless you snap the tip in your car air conditioning vent ) :mad3:

Yeh mate, My little girl gave it to me for Xmas and Its been used everyday (except fr yesterday) since!!!

I was out on a boat a week ago pulling in my line and the Tip just fell off about 3 inches back frm the end.. (you reckon the guy at the tackle shop believed me! ) Anyway he said we can send it back and see what they say which could take months, or he could just put a new guide on.. I chose the new guide funnily enough. I reckon its better now as A. it doesnt get caught in the door when I leave.. B. Doesnt get caught in the car Aircon.. and still got all that flex and whip that makes em great for plastics.. What real are you using? Im using a Sedona 2500.. Just smooth as and casts forever..

Where were you hitting the whiting?

Cracker lizard Toby and those "punkin seeds sure do the trick for me too.

Those little pickers really annoy you...I got exaclty the same little chomps out of mine in the lake last week and they were bloody little toads. :1badmood:

The chopers sure make a mess of 'em too...tails always first to go, but I still managed to nail fish without

the tail..mosty smallish bream, and one decent flattie.

Glad the hangover didn't hamper your fishing too... :beersmile:

Cheers,

Pete.

I reckon its better now as A. it doesnt get caught in the door when I leave.. B. Doesnt get caught in the car Aircon.. and still got all that flex and whip that makes em great for plastics.. What real are you using? Im using a Sedona 2500.. J

I have the same combo but mine has been cut short 3 too many times

6' 8 is now about 6'

anyway nice lizard mate

That's why I stopped using those Pumpkinseed plastics, I swtched to Berkley 5" Jerk Shads and caught flatties, sometimes up to 6 , 7 , 8, on the one plastic, try it and you will see what I mean....