Squid Jig Colours

slinkymalinky

Anyone got opinions (or should that be is there anyone who DOESN'T have an opinion) on the best colours for squid jigs.

Most squid in Sydney undoubtedly get caught on pink or orange jigs... my own opinion is that this is because nearly everyone is fishing with pink or orange jigs... and surprise surprise, they catch all the fish.

I've noticed a distinct slowdown of squid action once the sun gets up a bit and as squid are primarily (I believe) a visual predator, I've bought a few natural coloured jigs to try when this happens. I'm working on the same theory as with lures for fish.... low light=bright lures, more light=more natural colours. I seem to get nearly all my squid in clear water so that's not a factor.

Anyone out there find the same thing and how have you gone with natural coloured jigs compared to the loud colours??

I've got one of BrettP's 2.0 pink Yo Zuri's in my car so your answers may decide whether he ever gets it back or not.... :biggrin2:

each to there own on this subject,

and lots of people have MANY different views on this subject,

u just gotta try a few diff colours in different conditions and find what suits your style and the areas u squid

im a big fan of the brighter colours and they seem to out fish the rest and believe me i have quite a large selection of jigs and im for ever chopping and changing and trying each and every new jig that hits the market.

i still firmly stand by my pinks and oranges ect ect but dont get me wrong sometimes for some unknown

reason it takes a simple change to a natural colour and u might nail a squid...

the bright jigs have caught squid on dark cloudy days, bright sunshine, night time u name it ...

some people fish with larger jigs in shallow water say 3.0's and up while others fish with 1.8g jigs up to 2.5

success is varied somewhat..

i firmly believe there are no rights or wrongs, start of with QUALITY jigs work on the technique be persistant

and 9 times out of 10 the rest SHOULD flow...

every person has different techniques, one guy might work a heavier jig better in shallow water then a light 1.8 jig viser versa..

best advice would be to get a few different colours/sizes get out there be persistant and just se what works for u then stick to it.

general rule most people follow is BRIGHT DAY = BRIGHT JIGS, cloudy day = natuaral jigs..

as for the pink YO-ZURI

KEEP IT I SAY HAHAHAH :tease:

cheers steve

general rule most people follow is BRIGHT DAY = BRIGHT JIGS, cloudy day = natuaral jigs..

as for the pink YO-ZURI

KEEP IT I SAY HAHAHAH :tease:

cheers steve

That's what I've been told too. Bright day = flashy lures, Cloudy = dark.

I have a mate (Pretty respected fisho up here) who actually spray paints some lures completly black for the overcast / low light days & swears by it. Judging from his hauls I don't doubt him.

As far as squid jigs are concerned I am yet to catch one so I wouldn't know :1badmood:

natural colours are the only ones i use anymore.

I used to be a pink and orange man but since converting to better quality, natural browns, yellows, greens and blacks my squid catches have climbed dramatically.

I totally agree.. I try to imitate yakkas and slimeys.. I do still wheel out the old pink faithful when nothing else is working though!! :biggrin2:

Thanks all.... as expected the number of opinions is only limited by the number of people. Some interesting food for thought though.... more positive feedback on natural colours than I expected.

Next couple of times I go out I think I'll just adopt the old "you use pink, I'll use natural" kind of approach and do my own research (if only the results weren't bound to vary day to day!!)

Cheers, Slinky

That's what I've been told too. Bright day = flashy lures, Cloudy = dark.

I have a mate (Pretty respected fisho up here) who actually spray paints some lures completly black for the overcast / low light days & swears by it. Judging from his hauls I don't doubt him.

As far as squid jigs are concerned I am yet to catch one so I wouldn't know :1badmood:

:1prop:

No squid in Lake Burrendong.

All colours work!

Its more the style of jig, the sink rate and the action imparted that makes all the difference.

Cheers

Red

This is the best advice you can get, i have been told the other day that squid are colour blind if that helps?

Kamil

go for the multi coloured ones,you cant go wrong. hehe.

at times i like fishing with the heavier jigs in the shallower waters,i always nail a bigger squid on a bigger jig.3.0 were my favourite but after fishing with the boys,found to realize that the 2.0 is a good jig also to usefor many spots in the harbour