Another One With Sounder Problems (h'bird 737)

Holmesie

Hi Guys/gals.

I recently upgraded my old 100-series Humminbird sounder to a 737 model and am having problems with the transducer.

It's mounted in roughly the same place as the old transducer (which worked perfectly), but this one seems very touchy and won't hold the bottom at all when the boat is planing.

When sitting still in the water, if someone walks to the back of the boat it can cause it to lose the bottom, I've tried raising it. lowering it, various angles of the transducer, but I can't get it set where it works reliably :mad3:

Could I have a dud transducer? Is the mounting location a problem? Have attached some pics in the hope that someone can suggest something

Cheers

Holmesie

IMGP1382Small.jpg

IMGP1383Small.jpg

Homsie

This should be quiet simple...see how in your pictures the rear end of the transducer is pointing upwards in relation to the hull....it needs to point slightly downwards. Losen the screws and tilt it down a bit. The hull looks to be nose down in the pic....get it roughly level or how you think it would sit on the plane and adjust the angle from there.

Try that and see how you go.

Chris

Edited by chrisg

G'day mate, thanks for the reply. I initially had it setup the way you suggested, but with the boat at rest it wouldn't pick up the bottom at all, and only occasionally worked when on the plane.

Do you know if it's possible the fact that is stands about 1-inch off the transom is causing an issue with turbulence/cavitation? Also is it better to be below the level of the hull or above (I thought on an alum boat it had to be below)?

I can't make adjustments with it on the water as it's impossible to reach, so have to make an adjustment with the boat on the trailer and then wait till it's next in the water :wacko:

ahh the joys - thanks for the help

Holmesie

G'day mate, thanks for the reply. I initially had it setup the way you suggested, but with the boat at rest it wouldn't pick up the bottom at all, and only occasionally worked when on the plane.

Do you know if it's possible the fact that is stands about 1-inch off the transom is causing an issue with turbulence/cavitation? Also is it better to be below the level of the hull or above (I thought on an alum boat it had to be below)?

I can't make adjustments with it on the water as it's impossible to reach, so have to make an adjustment with the boat on the trailer and then wait till it's next in the water :wacko:

ahh the joys - thanks for the help

Holmesie

A good starting point is to have the line of the hull running thru the middle of the transducer when you look from behind. That said I had HB with that transducer and I found it was better running deeper rather than shallower.

Cheers

Chris

G'day Holmsie

Mte, first up ya gotta get it in the water, its never gonna work sitting an the trailer like that :074:

Sorry, just kiddin'

I don't know much about transducers, but when I fitted my HB to my glass boat I was told the only restriction to how low you mount it is the risk of hitting it on something at the ramp etc. IE the lower the better. Everything looks pretty close in the pics, just my need a little adjustment to fine tune it. The bum down thing is definatley the go, it makes the transducer "Plane like your boat, causing less cavitation. If you raise it higher I would think you'd get more cavitation.

The "At rest & losing bottom thing sounds weird. Just a thought, the cable isn't damaged anywhere is it? perhaps a thorough check along its length may reveal a slight nick in it somewhere.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth (Not that its worth much really)

Hope someone with a bit of nouse can help you better troubleshoot it.

Good luck.

Mte, first up ya gotta get it in the water, its never gonna work sitting an the trailer like that :074:

haha g'day mate, long time no see!!

I've just come back from 10 days at Narooma, sadly washed the salt off her today the time always goes too quick when you're having fun :wacko:

yeah checked out the cable along it's length - I'm going to muck around with the angle and height some more - might mean a few "test" runs on Wyangala every weekend until it's right :biggrin2:

Cheers

Got 737 myself - with 2 transducers at the back (quad + widescan). No problems at all, the only time it loses the bottome is that when I get a weed around it. Transdurcers are at different angles, comparig to your picture; if you like I can post pictures of mine later today.

Alloy. Looks exactly like yours, less the livewell bilge (might get one installed soon) :D

I will post pictures later today. As I've said, I have 2 ducers + a speed tube between them. I was loosing bottom when on the plane speed a year ago (sometimes, but never at rest or slow) until the H/bird guy inspected the setup and suggested that all 3 items were too close to each other, so I got thjem wider apart; no prblems since. But this is not your case as you have only one ducer. Will have pictures here soon.

Pics might be very helpful thanks kruzenvax, thanks for the kind offer :thumbup:

is your boat alloy or glass?

Cheers

Holmesie

thanks mate, yours are about as far off the transom as mine looks to be, so I've just got to get the angle and height (relative to the bottom line of the hull) set right and hopefully all will be OK :)

your pics are much appreciated

Cheers

Edited by Holmesie

No worries, could you please post the picture of your kingfosh rig instead? :D :D

thanks mate, yours are about as far off the transom as mine looks to be, so I've just got to get the angle and height (relative to the bottom line of the hull) set right and hopefully all will be OK :)

your pics are much appreciated

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

An update, I raised the whole transducer by about 12mm, and levelled it out relative to the hull and have gotten much better results. Still some fine-tuning required as at high-speed the reading becomes garbled, so there could still be some turbulence/cavitation happening.

Thanks for the suggestions all, I hope to have it sorted on the next outing :)

Cheers

Holmesie