Fishing Addiction?

slinkymalinky

I'm worried that fishing for me is not so much a hobby or even an obsession as much as a disease... is it just me or are there others with these symptoms?

Symptoms:

- I own over 50 outfits

- I have a rod rack in my bedroom

- I have NEVER entered a tackle shop and then left without spending money

- I am at my most creative when rationalizing to myself why I need a new item of tackle (I don't have a 9wt, 3 piece fly rod and you never know when I might have a last minute meeting in Cape York that I'll need to get to by light plane with a luggage restriction which prevents me taking my 2 piece 9wt....)

- I 'high-grade' my tackle all the time... if someone comes out with a better circle hook, I'll buy them and leave all my perfectly good, chemically sharpened older hooks in the 'redundant' pile. (BrettP is inheriting a reel load of Fireline from one of my reels so I can upgrade to some new Platypus Jigging Braid I got my hands on!)

- I When I'm not fishing, I often find excuses to reorganize all my gear (move things from one tackle box to another, set up new tackle boxes... eg. the 'for keeping in the car' tackle box, the 'for if I ever go ice-fishing tackle box' etc.

- I know most of the tackle shop staff in Sydney by their first name

- I own more packets of Gulp, squid jigs, spools of leader material, boxes of hooks, lures, etc than I could conceivably use in 2 lifetimes

- Mrs Slinky constantly tells me I could open a tackle shop (although Little Slinky, bless her, always says I don't have enough fishing gear)

- I've been known after long periods without fishing to spend an hour staking around the back yard casting at buckets, trees, bits of bark, etc... while telling myself it's to improve my casting.

- I own tackle for forms of fishing that in all likelihood I'll never do (I've got a Marlin lure big enough for 1000lb Blues.... an interesting prospect in a 4.8m tinnie)

- The only time my car gets washed is when it's been in for a service.... my boat gets washed thoroughly every time it's been out

Is it just me??? Heeeelp!

Slinky

Hmmmm, nothing wrong with you at all mate! :074:

As for the family, well, let me see.......

Mrs Slinky- pretty cool Woman if she allows this behaviour to go on. Mind you, they start smartening up to your habits and often require a credit card, everytime you go for a "sesh" on the water. A new down-rigger for the boat may cost you a dishwasher, or outdoor spa! It gets worse so buy up big now before she realizes her full potential at destroying your savings account. (No Slinky, you thinking it wont happen because your great in bed is just a load of crap!) :wife:

Your Daughter is also coming along just fine. Try to refrain from letting vanity set in and convince her that pillow hair and a terrible dress sense is cool for fisho's. Once they hit my daughters age, you find that they have hung your beautiful Witchdoctor Marlin Lure up in the cabin so they can use it as a mirror before you take those "fishing shots" Its ok when your out with the family, but a little spooky if you take a mate out and he sees a flamin "Disco Mirror" hanging up in the cab where you both have to sleep. :thumbdown:

As for you Slinky, your just as stupid as most other Raiders on this site. As I said before, nothing wrong with you........clean bill of health! (I have a feeling that GoFishPete would like to marry you though!) :1prop:

Cheers,

Your local lifestyle for fisho's guru and family consultant!

Stumpy :wacko:

Edited by stumpy

Slinky you are fine mate BUT

Ask yourself these deep questions

Have you started taking showers with your rods yet?

Is your dog named after a tackle company?

Is there more bait in the freezer than food?

Does your (more expensive than the boat) car stand in the road and your boat in the garage?

Can your three year old tie a bimini?

Does your wife complain about strange implements in the dishwasher?

Do you have any friends that are not fishing buddies?

I am sure there are more

cheers

inhlanzi

Diognosis - OCF (Obsessive Compulsive Fishing). There is no known cure as people are too busy fishing to find one (although such is the nature of the disease that no-one wants to be cured anyway). It will eventually dictate every facet of your life and take precedence over family, friends, health, work and everything else. You will die with a rod in your hands, reminiscing not your wedding day, your first kiss or the day you finally lost your virginity, but of all your greatest captures. You will request for your remains to be minced up and used as burley. There is no hope for us..

This disease seems to be highly contageous and is out of control :yahoo: I think it has something to do with the genes from my mother and father who are afflicted with this ailment as well :1yikes:

This disease seems to be highly contageous and is out of control :yahoo: I think it has something to do with the genes from my mother and father who are afflicted with this ailment as well :1yikes:

I have the dual strain of this disease.

The primary symptoms are persistant desires to go fishing and a collection of related paraphernalia etc.

I am developing secondary symptoms. Being boatless and whilst not being able to fish more often than not, I satisfy my lust by remaining logged in to this site and frequently, whilst attending to other menial tasks around the house, hit the refresh button to see the new posts. My wife is googling the affliction to try and find a cure.

I gave her this web reference as a sure fire cure for the secondary symptoms. www.ebay.com.au/boats.

Yes... Im bored today!!

Naa.. your normal mate. :biggrin2:

I have about 10 rods in various stages of construction. I can't seem to finish one before I am mixing up epoxy to glue the grips on the next! I also bought 4 very similar blanks just because I thought I needed them.

I also have an ice fishing pole... bloody silly but it was a bargain. :wacko:

Yes! You have a problem :074:

I wonder when the lads that ice fish do a report do they add buildings into the backgrounds of the photos to put people off the location. :1prop:

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

Naa.. your normal mate. :biggrin2:

I have about 10 rods in various stages of construction. I can't seem to finish one before I am mixing up epoxy to glue the grips on the next! I also bought 4 very similar blanks just because I thought I needed them.

yes, i agree... you have a problem!! Now I feel better!!

Mate ive got exactly the same addiction as you & pretty much all of those you mentioned

i relate very closely too,especially when it comes to washing the car only when i get my

car serviced once a year,but the boat get's looked after well & is spotless alway's.

Also have a new one to add that im currently working on & that's looking for 2 good

quality threadline outfit's,one each for my 7 year old & 4 year old girl's but they

have to suit me as well for a couple of soft plastic/lurecasting outfits too!

If it makes you feel any better...

My Kitchen has more Hooks sinkers & Jigs than Plates and cutlery..

Freezer has no food, but is full..

Rod Holder's x 2 - one on Balcony for drying, one next to bed.. (converted Guitar racks)

Mono offcuts blends well in to my tiles, whilst Braid offcuts compliments Carpet very nicely

Tackle Box gets repacked at least once a week, and SP Container keeps getting upgraded to larger size (as does fishing bag)

Boot in car is always ready just in case.. Rods, nipper pumps.. you name it

I woke up at 2am on tuesday morn as left the TV on... So i went squidin..

and I Bloody LoVE IT!!..

I just cant work out why the wife left me....??? :wacko:

The prep and Deprep are just as satisfying.. looking after & Cleaning Gear properly can be Hard work, but all ads to the Fishing experience..

Hey CEPH- Where did you get your icefishing pole???? how much?? I think I may need one :074:

SON: Dad? A guy's selling a pair of jousting sticks.

FATHER: Jousting sticks? What's he want for 'em?

SON:Make us an offer. Give him a call?

FATHER: Yeah.

SON: Dad? 450.

FATHER: For jousting sticks? Tell him he's dreamin'!

Edited by Tobyw

My wife asked me what fishing gear i wanted for chrissy.

After going through what I owned she was a little taken aback when she had her first visit into the garage for two years :1prop:

I ended up with my very own personal bait freezer that now lives in the garage. :thumbup:

Dave

My wife asked me what fishing gear i wanted for chrissy.

After going through what I owned she was a little taken aback when she had her first visit into the garage for two years :1prop:

I ended up with my very own personal bait freezer that now lives in the garage. :thumbup:

Dave

Do you have to rub it in?? :wacko:

Edited by tan the fisherman

Hi Slinkyalinky

I truly believe you are suffering from something called Fishing Flu ... I wrote a poem about this condition a little while back!!! :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Fishing Flu

I’ve got this aliment,

I’m feeling quite ill,

I doubt it’ll be fixed,

By tablet or pill.

In my dreams you feature,

All through the long night,

At the end of my rod,

My lines nice and tight!!!

And when I wake from my sleep,

Instead of just yawning,

There’s a feeling inside,

I’d call it a gnawing.

There’s a remedy I’ve found,

It helps just a little,

When my gear sits all dry,

I sit, think and fiddle.

And for some extra relief,

I bury my head in fishing books,

But it’s just not the same,

As setting my hooks!!!

In my mind I create,

Perfect situations,

For my rigs and my baits,

In picturesque locations.

But I still feel sick,

In need of a cure,

Off to the river...

I’ll feel better for sure!

And just as I’d thought,

My fever... it goes!

I feel “Bloody Terrific”

From my head to my toes.

Now I understand,

Just what it takes,

To clear my stuffy head,

And get rid of the shakes.

So next time you feel,

The way that I do,

You’ve probably contracted,

A dose of my Fishing Flu!!!

I trust this help you understand your condition better!!!

Cheers as always

PJ Garn

Edited by PJ Garn

I wonder when the lads that ice fish do a report do they add buildings into the backgrounds of the photos to put people off the location. :1prop:

Robbie.

:Funny-Post:

Hahahaha that's awesome...

Slinky it certainly doesn't sound like you're alone, I suffer the same disease as you, I'm sure most raiders do as well!

Cheers

Tony (Wishin I was :1fishing1: )

This might sound funi to some but i had this idea of mine.

I had this exprience t one time when i was fishing a all night/day but when it was around 10am i was so buggered that i had to close my eyes. My brother was sleeping during the night session and was waitin for some kings to hit our gear. All of sudden the one of the reels jus starts screaming off ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, i woke up so fast and jumped up and startin checking what has hit our bait and startin to fish again.

If i could make a sound of a reel screaming off for my alarm clock i reckon i would wake up early for work most times!

:wacko: i thought it was a good idea...... :074: