Minn Kota Transducer Mount

Lizardboy

G'day All,

I've got a Humminbird Matrix 17x and I'm trying to work out where I'm going to mount the transducer on my Canoe....Coleman Vantage. I run a 40lb Minn Kota riptide on it and I noticed from their brochure that Minn Kota make a transducer mount. Seems rather pricey :thumbdown: , perhaps easily replicated :thumbup:

http://www.minnkota.com.au/product_group.cfm?id=2530&s=1

I'm just wondering whether it's a good place to mount a transducer or would the signal be interupted by the turbulance created by the electric :badair::hitsfan: ? I'm guessing the disturbance would be nothing compared to an outboard. Does anyone mount their transducer in this way or know of anyone who does or potential problems associated with it?

(Added Later: Swoffa, just read your post and it sound like you are mounting it this way, perhaps you can help)

I've considered mounting the transducer within the canoe and shooting throught the hull, but I would have to forgo temperature readings. A suction cup mount http://www.humminbird.com.au/product_group.cfm?id=1763&s=3 or some type of customised bracket attached to the outboard bracket on th opposite side of the canoe are amongst other options I'm considering.

Cheers,

Lizard

Edited by Lizardboy

I use a little eagle sounder in my coleman scanoe.

I power this with a 2.5hp merc (where powered O/B are allowed).

I use a suction cup mount for the transducer, it stays on OK.

When under full power on the OB occassionally it comes off especially if its a little rough but there a safety rope to stop the transducer getting munched. I have never had it come off when paddling.

I have attached a couple of photos that may help

post-75-1105173136_thumb.jpg

post-75-1105173164_thumb.jpg

G'day All,

I've got a Humminbird Matrix 17x and I'm trying to work out where I'm going to mount the transducer on my Canoe....Coleman Vantage.  I run a 40lb Minn Kota riptide on it

:1yikes: WOW exact same setup as me, although yet tio buy a sounder , do you have pics of your canoe? how do you mount the leccy?

mines here

snags.jpg

G'day Lure,

Are you fishing for trout....looks pretty cold!

Great Rig :biggrin2: I'll try to get a couple of pics up in the next week or so.

I've just installed some padded fold down chairs...absolute heaven on your back after using the coleman stadium seats! I've mounted the electric on a half wood/half alluminium bracket that came with the canoe, which I picked up in the trading post. Its was a bit awkward controlling the electric at first, because you kind of have to reach over your shoulder, but I'm used to it know.

Where do you normally fish?

Lizard

Are you fishing for trout....looks pretty cold!

Bass, was a winter trip to a little dam i fish down south, was -1 at 6am when we kicked off, needless to say not too many got caught that day :05:

At the moment i do most of my canoe fishing around here (Sutherland Shire) in the Woronora, Georges and Hacking Rivers and the creeks.

For Bass I have been hitting the shoalhaven lately for good results :thumbup:

Padded chair idea sounds good, canoe arse tends to set in after about 3 hours for me :1prop:

cheers

Chris