Downrigging

adkel53

I watched a number of boats dowrigging in the harbour this morning and having some success. I have recently acquired a downrigger and am ready to try my luck. Any tips from you guys who regularly use one (or two)? Depths to start at, baits and lures (I assume whole squid, strips, yakkas and maybe soft plastics could all be used ) and methods of rigging them to best effect would be much appreciated to help get started. I love chucking sluggo type lures around but some days the kings are totally unresponsive to them while others are obviously doing well with baits.

There's a LOT of posts/replies with the same q's, Kel so the search is your friend. Small live fish pinned east-west thru the nostrils or whole live squid pinned thru the cape with a stinger on the noggin for baits. Set the depth where u see marks on ur sounder, or just under bait schools. Keep as much tension on the rod without the clip releasing, set the bait only 4-5m back from the bomb. Kingis are not at all boat shy, quite the opposite. Watch for the wobble wobble wobble of the rod tip, that's the fish mouthing the bait, they usually hook themselves. Fish the tightest drag ur tackle can handle. See Netic's report from today, the video links tell a thousand words.

the deadliest technique around, GL with it brother!

Jig

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jig. Another question. How does one tie a sliding snell rig? I can find some pictures of it but nothing that actually describes how it is tied. I assume the top hook is able to be moved along the trace to accomodate different sized squid (or baitfish if a stinger is being used). Any tips or references to diagrams showing how it is done would be much appreciated. Living an hour away from the closest harbour launching ramp means that one wants to make the most of every opportunity to wet a line!!

Kel

Apologies for (partially, I hope) hijacking the discussion, but, Netic, may I ask you a question re. the sliding snell rig that was on my mind for the last week or 2?

What is the exact role of the (sliding snell) knot - apart from the ability for the "front" hook to slide along the leader? E.g. when the fish is hooked to the "front" hook I'd guess (yet to catch a fish on this rig) that the hook slides under pressure to the "rear" hook, which stops the slide?

I've tried a small piece of tube and a dufferent knot (think it may be called a "nail" knot) - the one you lay a tube along the shank and the leader, make couple of turns with the trace aroubd and pull through the tube - they all allow the "front" hook to slide under some pressure, no leader damage...

Note: This is 100% a question of a newbie, not a criticism or suggestion "classic" rig is wring.

Thanks

Kel, the best way to learn the sliding snell rig is to go to your local tackle shop and have em show you, thats what i did a few years back......its a hard rid to learn online....it really has to be seen

Edited by Kruzenvax

Mate the main benefit of the sliding snell is the fact that the rig is easily adjustable to any squid size, if it was to be sliding and it was fixed you may have acess line between the keeper and stinger hook which in turn would make your bait spin and not have a natural motion in the water.......

I have only ever had a few kings get caught on the keeper hook.....but even then the keeper just slides down to the stinger and the fish still gets caught

Thanks, that was exactly what I mean. E.g. It looks like it is possible to get a "keeper" hook sliding under some pressure using a very simple knot (let me call it nail for now) - or even with a plastic tube. To me (IMHO) it is simplier than tying a sliding snell knot as described in the Book.

Sure, it is yet to be proven in the field - hope the weather is improving... but I'm just starting using a live bait so it might take a while...

Mate the main benefit of the sliding snell is the fact that the rig is easily adjustable to any squid size, if it was to be sliding and it was fixed you may have acess line between the keeper and stinger hook which in turn would make your bait spin and not have a natural motion in the water.......

I have only ever had a few kings get caught on the keeper hook.....but even then the keeper just slides down to the stinger and the fish still gets caught