Outboard Transport

jason baker

Have recently purchased a boat, well half half with the old man.

Its a 5.5m seafarer viking with a 140 yamaha, about 10 years old but in great shape. I am more than slightly in love with it.

The advice I am after is about supporting the outboard while towing. The little swing legs used to stand it up don't really look up to the job, and I am worried they are going to crap themselves mid journey as it's a fair size engine.

What would be the best way to prop it up for transport? The rear of the trailer is well under the stern so can't brace anything off that.

Also should the rams go all the way down while towing?

Thanks for any advice, the first of many questions no doubt... first boat.

Cheers,

Jas.

Hi Jas, welcome to Fishraider and welcome to the wonderful world of boating. Great boats are the Seafearer Vikings and it should perform well with the V4 Yamaha.

As for towing, the two support brackets that your engine has are fine and with the trim rams fully retracted the engine does not bounce and that is how I personally would tow it. The only problem we see with these style brackets are that they can seize up, but other than that they are fine for towing.

Cheers,

Huey.

Jas The little swing legs you refer to are designed to do the job . Lift the motor , swing them into place then drop the motor back until the legs have taken the weight.

There is no need to withdraw the rams any further

Geoff

Thanks very much guys,

Nice to not be left hangin' on nervous first post.

I will stop worrying about it and start on something else. Huey the legs have gotten a bit stiff, just some spray lube or grease best to free them up?

Great web site, have been on it for a while, first post down... uh oh have created a monster.

Cheers,

jas.