Will Carbon Fibre Rods Attract Lightening?

jamesyjf

didnt you see the news a couple of months ago someone got killed by lightning i think it was terrigal or somewhere near walking on a beach with a rod in the hand if you look close up on the rods they come with a warning some of them :1fishing1:

WOW, that's shocking, feel really sorry for that guy. Now I will think twice to fish in the rain.

Fishing in the rain is fine,fishing in lightning is definately out :1onono:

I think any rod may attract a hit from lightening, especially if you are in a boat or on a sandy beach. The rod is usually the tallest point, hence the first thing to be hit!

If there is lightening around, go home before it reaches you.

Roberta

hmmm.... maybe this is something mythbusters should try...

the foam (wetsuit material) handle would act as a insulator BUT if it has been wet by the rain you're outta luck!

I like your idea, but this task maybe too easy for the mythbusters to carry out an experiment. While on the topic, is graphite or not really matter - in terms of rod material? If it's wet, it's gonna be conductive anyway, is it?

Graphite (carbon) fibers

Carbon fibers are filamentary forms of carbon, with a fiber diameter normally in the 6–10-micrometer range. The product is offered in the form of yarns or tows containing from 1000 to 500,000 filaments per strand. The fibers offer a unique combination of properties. They are flexible, lightweight, thermally and to a large extent chemically inert, and are good thermal and electrical conductors In their high-performance varieties, carbon fibers are very strong and can be extremely stiff

didnt you see the news a couple of months ago someone got killed by lightning i think it was terrigal or somewhere near walking on a beach with a rod in the hand if you look close up on the rods they come with a warning some of them :1fishing1:

You referring to this mate ? http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=26544

If you are, it was the two blokes with rods that got away and the poor woman in the middle, without a rod, that got struck fatally.

Wierd that it was not the highest point that was struck in this situation, but none the less, yo won't see me holding a graphite rod (or any rod) pointed in the sky during a storm. Best to head indoors !

But yes, graphite conducts elec.

ill be struck by lightning before i catch a 20kg jew, or even a legal kingfish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Funny-Post: you will get your elusive fish soon enough Caine ,keep at it and target what you wish for.

Cheers Stewy

CAN ONE OF YOU KINGY MASTERS TAKE cAINES OUT AND GET THE MONKEY OFF HIS BACK :biggrin2: