Boat Insurance

secki

Hi all i wish to insure my boat but have no idea what year it was made. Its an old savage runabout, and the HIN ends with CR4, when ive read it normally says the year it was made. Even on rego papers it doesnt say.

If anyone can help thanks!

• 1 month later...

i know with more moden boats the last 3 digits do the job

something like the 1st number represents the year model, then the letter represents the month manufactured and last number represents the year of manufacture

but this does not apply with older boats, and would seem doesnt apply with yours.

I would suggest waiting for a Huey reply or send an email to the manufacturer

Edited by CaineS

i also had a similar problem when i first got insurance. my tinnie has no manufacture id or anything similar. so i advised the insurance company of this (GIO) and they told me to take a guess [ yes i thought this was very unusual]. so both my manufacture and boat age are guesses on the insurance and rego papers

hope this helps

cam

I agree with CAM just take a guess and that will do, as long as you are not decades out it should not be a problem.

Cheers :beersmile:

I told NRMA its a 1978 model and they are sayign i may require an on water survey report?

Hi Secki, what the HIN is telling you is that a dealer with the code CR put a HIN on it in 2004. Our code is AH, so if we had put on in 2004 it would of AH4 as the last three digits.

If you have a picture maybe post it and we could give a more accurate idea of age.

Is it alloy or glass becuaue Savage have made and still make both?

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi Secki, what the HIN is telling you is that a dealer with the code CR put a HIN on it in 2004. Our code is AH, so if we had put on in 2004 it would of AH4 as the last three digits.

If you have a picture maybe post it and we could give a more accurate idea of age.

Is it alloy or glass becuaue Savage have made and still make both?

Cheers,

Craig.

Glass, i have the HIN if you can get any info off that ?

fff.jpg

Hi Secki from the look of the photo I would guess that the boat and motor were sold originally as a package. Look at the build date of the motor and the Boat would be the same (give or take a year which is close enough). I would also tell the insurance company of this so that there is no confusion in the future.

regards Bill

Hi Secki from the look of the photo I would guess that the boat and motor were sold originally as a package. Look at the build date of the motor and the Boat would be the same (give or take a year which is close enough). I would also tell the insurance company of this so that there is no confusion in the future.

regards Bill

Tell them that it was a package? or that they are the same year?

Tell them that it was a package? or that they are the same year?

I would tell the insurance company that the boat and the motor( the date is on the build plate on the engine) that they were both made in the same year. That is the best information that you can provide.

Ok ive been told i need a marine survey ?!?!! what is this and how much is it goign to cost me? and where can i get it done ?

I didnt have this much drama when i insured a 1974 Kingswood !

That's a crap idea.

If they force you to do that just because you don't have a year of production??

If you go down that path ask them to suggest a pool of surveyers they find acceptable and select one. Never heard of it on a boat not used for racing.

Just find someone who knows the approximate age and tell them you have found out the age. Rather spend my money on extra coverage than a marine surveyer

"I believe you may be able to obtain marine surveys from your local Marine Clubs sometimes or

the relevant State Road Authority may be able to assist you further. Alternatively contact

the Insurance Ombudsman Service on 1300 780 808.

"

This is the response to my asking them where to get a survey done, so to me it means they really ahve no idea what they are asking for ? How boout i take a pic on the water showing them yes its a boat and yes it floats !

The RTA ? helping me with boats?

HI Secki, I have been away at the 2008 Stacer conference. As said the HIN tells nothing about the age of the boat. Looking at the picture it will be an early 1970 model and I would be guessing but not have the original engine on it. I thinkg from memory you mentioned it was a Suzuki and it lloks like one and it will be an later model than the boat.

Cheers and bets of luck with it,

Cheers,

Huey.