Saturday 9th Harbor Kings

Kiwi Dan

Hello all,

Took my mate Booga (Chris) out for a kingy session on Saturday morning. Weather looked bad and I was hung over but that wasn’t stopping us from getting out. We headed to the Spit for squid at about 430am but didn’t manage to land any so on sun up took off into the harbor with some fresh frozen stuff.

Downrigged the first spot for about 30 minutes for no result. Booga isn’t really a fan of fishing and he probably thought dragging a big lump of lead around with 1 line out was garbage so I decided to head off to a marker anchor up and drop over a few rods. Not long after we got to the spot we were chatting away and Boogas line starts screaming he looks at me and says what the f!@# do I do. That one ended up dusting him but at least he saw some action.

After a little while we pulled up the anchor and started drifiting past the marker. I had a couple bites and then came up solid on a king, after a few minute tussle a healthy 67cm king was in the boat and faith had been restored. We took off to another marker a little while later because I was convinced I could get Booga into a king. We baited up and drifted the marker and afte a couple of minutes Booga's line gets smashed at the same time as a wave hits the side of the boat, we both hit the deck but the fish is still hooked. I coached him through it and a nervous 3 or 4 minutes fight Booga lands a nice little king at 64cm. A couple minutes later I hook up again and have another good tussle with a king, this one went 67cm as well but was twice as fat as the first.

post-4176-1202705249_thumb.jpg

post-4176-1202705269_thumb.jpg

We could see the rain coming from the East so we decided to call it a day there and head home for a feed of fresh fish and salad while watching the racing channel and having a punt.

post-4176-1202705260_thumb.jpg

Another good day out and another king cherry popped!! I think Booga may have changed his mind a bit on fishing now!!