Kingfish Sashimi

Kiwi Dan

Hello all,

just wondering how people prepare there kingfish for sashimi?

Just wondering do you just skin and fillet and bone it then cut up into thin strips? Ive never done it before so am only guessing, didnt think it would be too complicated.

Or am I missing something?

Edited by Kiwi Dan

Prepare yourself for a treat.

Easy to do; Cut off a full fillet. I normally then cut out the rib bones. This sort of divides the fillet into 2 lengths. Then cut along as close as the skin as you can, to cut it away. Then cut it into chunks. Grab wasabi and soy to taste and you are smacking your lips.

Enjoy

PS use a sharp knife

the trick is in the preparation of the fish.

when caught, don't let it bang about the boat.

1. brain spike it.

2. bleed it by cutting it's throat.

3. put it in the esky with sea water and bottles of ice. Ice surry is no good as it dilutes the seawater.

4. take it home and wipe it down with paper towels.

5. fillet and skin and wipe away any excess with paper towels. NO WATER..

6. thinly cut and enjoy with wasabi and soysauce.

G'day Dan,

Little Slinky could tell you.... it's one of the reasons she's so keen on catching kings. As said.... the most important thing is to take care of your kingies once caught. I don't bother brain spiking them but I immediately bleed them and put them in a slurry of ice and saltwater (don't put them just in ice... as it melts the fresh water doesn't do the fish any favours).

Then like you thought, just fillet them, skin them & bone them. I usually cut each fillet lengthways then slice then halve each half again so I end up with 4 'slabs' from each fillet. It all tastes the same, but the prime cut comes from the top half of the fillet (only because it is a nice neat shape). Slice the slabs across the grain into pieces about 3mm thick. Make sure you serve it chilled. I've actually found that the texture of the flesh is even better if it's been in the fridge for 24 hours.

I usually mix soy with about 1/4 of the amount of mirin, then tuck in with as much wasabe as you like (the Slinkettes draw the line at wasabe).

Next time we're on the water together I'll wander over if you like and do one on the spot... a little bit of sauce in a container and we can live like kings (or Emperors?) on the water.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Dan,

Little Slinky could tell you.... it's one of the reasons she's so keen on catching kings. As said.... the most important thing is to take care of your kingies once caught. I don't bother brain spiking them but I immediately bleed them and put them in a slurry of ice and saltwater (don't put them just in ice... as it melts the fresh water doesn't do the fish any favours).

Then like you thought, just fillet them, skin them & bone them. I usually cut each fillet lengthways then slice then halve each half again so I end up with 4 'slabs' from each fillet. It all tastes the same, but the prime cut comes from the top half of the fillet (only because it is a nice neat shape). Slice the slabs across the grain into pieces about 3mm thick. Make sure you serve it chilled. I've actually found that the texture of the flesh is even better if it's been in the fridge for 24 hours.

I usually mix soy with about 1/4 of the amount of mirin, then tuck in with as much wasabe as you like (the Slinkettes draw the line at wasabe).

Next time we're on the water together I'll wander over if you like and do one on the spot... a little bit of sauce in a container and we can live like kings (or Emperors?) on the water.

Cheers, Slinky

your on mate!!

Thanks to all for the advice, all I need now is the kingy tomorrow hopefully

Hi Dan,

I fully agree with Autocad as the way to go.

All i would add to that is get it into the fridge once prepared.

I prefer to eat it once its been in the fridge for about 6 - 10 hours.

Bring it out and cut into slices when first out of the fridge. I wait till just around room temp and them eat.

It seems to be more tasty this way.

By the third day i dont eat raw and will cook anything left.

Cheers

I agree with Zenman. :biggrin2:

The natural gelatines in the fish will firm up in the fridge making the fish more texturally pleasant and, if you are going to cook it, it will stay more moist. I mostly eat my Kingies the next day. That said, it is still bloody good the same day. :thumbup:

Hey Kiwi,

Looks like you started something!! My crew today insisted I make good on my outrageous claims and sashimi a king on the water. BrettP was a bit worried py the proximity of the bait, the use of the bait board and bait knife and the general prospect of eating raw fish in a non-restaurant environment but he's still breathing. Little Slinky gobbled it down, wasabe and all. (pics in my report post)

Cheers mate, Slinky

I cooked some of the fish we caught today, and I preferred the bait board prepared sample. I shallow fried it in flour and lemon and corriander herbs. It tasted ok, but not great. Any ideas on how to cook it better? Or should I just not bother and just keep chewing on them straight out of the water?

Cheers

Brett

I cooked some of the fish we caught today, and I preferred the bait board prepared sample. I shallow fried it in flour and lemon and corriander herbs. It tasted ok, but not great. Any ideas on how to cook it better? Or should I just not bother and just keep chewing on them straight out of the water?

Cheers

Brett

It's a pretty meaty fish that can get a bit dry and horrible if it's over cooked but I really love it cooked. The best way to have it is a bit like tuna.... grill it so it's only just cooked in the middle. It's better to cut the portions so they're not too thick or they end up more stewed than grilled. Just battered and shallow fried works, particuarly if the batter is spicy.

It's really good in curries and saucy dishes, and when grilled, served with sauces like hollandaise or even wasabe mayonnaise. One of my favourite ways to eat it is to 'poach ' portions in a 'tomato sauce' (basically a naplolitana sauce). It's nice 'cooked' in lime juice with of all things, fruit (mango, green mango, green pawpaw, papya, pineapple, peaches, that sort of thing) with a bit of finely chopped chilli, a teaspoon of fish sauce and dressed with a dash of coconut cream. The acid in the lime will actually cook the fish and then it ends up like some sort of deranged Hawiian/Thai crossbreed dish.

They're not a sweet, delicate fish like whiting or flathead so having them grilled plain will be a bit of a disappointment. Treat it more like a steak than a fish.

Cheers mate,

Slinky