Gulp Squids V Live Squid

Mcfusher

Gulp V Livies  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Gulp squid out fish Live Squid?

• Gulp Squid
    • Live Squid

G'day raiders

This semester we have been instructed to conduct a reaseach project and have to choose out own topic.

i have chosen to put gulps motto "out fishes live bait" to the test. i will try on numerous occassions to put both out and see the difference.

but before i do that i thought i should see what sydney best fishos have to say :thumbup:

But remember to take into account the convinence of buying gulp compared to catching squid before you vote.

any advice or tips will be greatly aprietcated and please vote in the poll.

Cheers Mcfusher :1fishing1:

P.S stay tuned to this post over the next few months for my results.

Edited by Mcfusher

This should be an interesting survey. My money will be on the live squid, although just the other day I bought 2 packets of Gulp squid ( 5" / 12 cm in New Penny and Salt Pepper Glo colours) to give them a throw next time I get to the water. They look and feel OK so I hope they pay off as to my way of thinking they're not cheap at $19.90 for 2 packs of 3. I also bought 6 huge fresh squid from the Woolies seafood bar for $11.00 and froze them individually so I'll see how they go.

But remember to take into account the convinence of buying gulp compared to catching squid before you vote.

When doing a survey about the productivity of different baits the convenience factor should not be considered at all.

I would also like to ask anybody who has used these Gulp squid what is the best rig to use and how would you present them on the hook? I wouldn't think that a jig head was the way to go even though they are a soft plastic. How have other raiders used them?

Edited by livo

HI mcfusher. Fish will hit at artificial baits not only gulps when they're on the hunt or for territorial reasons but will devour live squid especially when used out of area. Fish see a live squid struggling to swim and in difficulty as easy food.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

When doing a survey about the productivity of different baits the convenience factor should not be considered at all.

Hi livo

the reason i say to take into account the convienience is that the motto is out fishes not out catches so id like to tak into accout every aspect of fishing and convienienceis a big one i think.

Thanksfor the tips jew gaffer!!!!

thanks to everyonewho has voted and i also look foward to testing this theory.

Cheers and keep voting!!

Mcfusher

P.S it is a school project but im not breaking any rules as this is a great source of info. :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Edited by Mcfusher

I never DR them... tried them 1 time and had 2 massive hits; failed to hookup though (shuld blame a poormans downrigger setup for that?). Both time gulp squid was on the jighead so it won't spin.

You've got me interested now McFusher - I'm going to give it a go to.

Fished straight down (no DR) how would you rig them? One through the hood, or a snelled arrangement?

I tried one on a worm hook out one side of the boat, & a squid strip out the other side of the boat. They were each rigged on a running sinker set up with a metre leader, set just off the bottom, bobbing up & down with the boat. The squid strip caught 2 legal soapies & the gulp squid caught nothing. I'll spend 3 or 4 days next week on the hawkesbury & I'll try it again. Let u know how it turns out.

Cheers.