2-0-0 - Donuts On The High Seas - Broadbill Trip

Byron

G'day all,

Well anyone who fished early saturday would know exactly what I am talking about!! Nice fat southerly swell and blowing at 15knots at dawn.

Let me start at the beginning. As mentioned previously, I was the fortunate enough to get an invite out on Ross Hunter's famous boat, Broadbill, on Saturday morning for a full day chasing the elusive "Stick Face" (registered trademark Ken Alexander).

After tackling the chore of feeding a 5 pack of hungry fishos at 11pm Friday night (Chicken schnitzel tortilla wraps (12), 4 charcoal chickens, 3 cases of beer, water, softies, chips, choc chips cookies), I cabbed down to the W Hotel at Wooloomooloo to meet the guys and grab a quick coffee before firing down to San Souci public wharf to meet Broadbill.

Arrived at 7am just busting to get out there, despite the average conditions that greeted us. Quick introductions all round with Ross Hunter, deckie Rob, and junior deckie Jordan. First stop was the Vega Voyager, or rather the bouys it had been tied off to on the southern side of the bay, quickly followed by Billfisher, Broadbill's sister boat.

Proceeded to burley up for about 10 minutes until the slimeys (which were holding very deep) proceeded to get amongst our baits. Some 30 minutes later we had 16 absolute stonking big slimeys doing laps of the bait tank. As we made our way out through the mouth of the bay, Ross detailed the approach for the day. We would troll 2 teasers (Lumo Sprocket and similar colour big Bloodshot). The plan being to raise fish on the lures and feed back a fat juicy bridled slimy once a fish was up.

With teh conditions looking pretty ordinary at best we rounded the outer point and copped the full force of the south swell. Almost immediately one of the novices went down with sea sickness and retired to lie down. Ross explained that although he had done well fishing north over the previous few days, the sea conditions prevented us from targetting that area and we motored SE toward the shelf.

At about 10.30am Billfisher, who was tolling with us at the time, raised a fish and as per the plan fed a livey back and watched the 90kg marlin turn and swallow it up. A close fought fight ensued and the fish was tagged and released as per the Ross Hunetr doctrine of never taking a marlin :thumbup:

We now had high hopes for a fish ourselves as all was looking the goods. Great blue water, good temps (though not quite perfect yet) and reasonable bait readings on the sounder. Had a fish come up and hit the port teaser 6-8 times but had no luck with the livey. Ross called it as a tuna and we recommenced our run again with anticipation running at an all time high.

Apart from sighting a "Tailer" that swam with the boat for a few 100 yards and sped off in rapid fashion when we attempted to get ahead of it, we did not raise another fish. Billfisher also raised another with no luck on the baits.

Ross was marking a few good fish deep and we comprehensively covered a 2 mile square area with Billfisher and Marquis (I think) also doing the same, but they were simply not interested. Ross was keen to have a crack slow trolling some of our crackerjack slimeys around the bait, but the conditions would simply not allow it. To be honest, I was already feeling for him with the battering he was copping in the flybridge.

Regardless, I spent most of the time quizzing the boys on their techniques and ideas on the small boat version of what we were doing. It was some education let me tell you.

Well let me say that despite the conditions and lack of fish, I had a tremendous time. Ross is one of life's gentleman, and he could not have done any more to put us onto a fish. His enthusiasm for fishing is infectious and that travels down to his 2 deckies. Rob in particular, though only 21, was mature beyond his years and has traced and tagged more than 400 marlin already for Ross. Ross rates him as the best in the business. he was more than keen to answer any and every question I had....and I had heaps!!! :1prop:

To anyone looking for a great day out game fishing with a very professional outfit should look no further than gamefishingcharters.com.au. Ross or son Glenn will be only to keen to help out.

P.S. According to Ross we are 2 weeks away from good fishing. Right now it is hit and miss. They tagged a 330lb marlin on Thursday, but a lot of ocean between fish right now.

At least it was a free day. :biggrin2:

Sounded like a pretty rough day, that switchbaiting sounds pretty fun, I might give it a go one day if nothing is working, got a few 14in lures that would probably never get a run otherwise.

Shame about the weather. Certainly no shortage of food or were you going to suffer from thirst for the day.

One of my goals this year is to get a Marlin out of my boat. Have caught and tagged many on lures and baits, but never tried switch baiting.

When I was into game fishing and basically no other type of fishing, from late January to end April we had a run called Marlin Ally. Would round the Joey and head to Newport reef and from Newport reef head basically due east till we hit the shelf. We would often pull the lures in at 70 fathoms had travel till we hit 80 fathoms and miss what we felt was a bit of a dead zone.

Have picked up four marlin on separate occasions in past years between just Palm Beach and Whale Beach, 1 striped 106 kg, 1 black 111kg and tagged two small blacks. I actually think game fishing is easier than estuary fishing where more skill and knowledge of species habit, tides, location, rig and bait/ working the lure are required.

Love to arrange a days fishing with you if you want to chase Marlin, just need a good days weather forecast as there’s a difference in now I use 17 foot of boat and not 42 feet.

Hope you get your Marlin this year Byron.

Hey Martin,

More than happy to get a feel for the small boat marlin thing mate. It will be more in my league I am sure. Had a day out with Allen Glover where we ventured VERY wide in his small boat, but unfortunately only managed a few dollies.

Just send me a PM with details mate and we can start talking about it!! :thumbup:

Cheers

Byron

Hey Martin,

More than happy to get a feel for the small boat marlin thing mate. It will be more in my league I am sure. Had a day out with Allen Glover where we ventured VERY wide in his small boat, but unfortunately only managed a few dollies.

Just send me a PM with details mate and we can start talking about it!! :thumbup:

Cheers

Byron

26523[/snapback]

Coulda been lucky. It was about this time of yr wasnt it.

Great to read your report Byron. Isn't awesome how some people just love sharing info with you? :thumbup: While others that think they know it all...just clam up!

Good luck with hunting marlin out of your boat! Looking forward to your report when you do get him.

Bad luck Byron but thats blue water fishing for you. Most unusual that a fish would smack the teaser & not munch a livey but thats Stick Face for you. :biggrin2:

We never bothered with liveys we used to slip a skip bait back to the fish.

Isn't awesome how some people just love sharing info with you? thumbup.gif While others that think they know it all...just clam up!

Couldn't agree more Joe & its not confined to Marlin fishos either.

Coulda been lucky. It was about this time of yr wasnt it.

26537[/snapback]

Pretty close to it Allen, but my memory recalls warmer water than that currently out there. That said the hot stuff is getting closer by the day. My fingers are crossed.

As to my new found desire to catch a marlin this season, I will need to talk to you about an outfit for small boat fishing....either 24 or 15kg stand-up stroker style me thinks, but you would know better than me.

Let me know when we can catch up and discuss as I will need to get an order in asap to ensure I am prepared for the good fishing that is fast approaching!!

Anthony and I might be heading out on Sunday for an exploratory mission on a mates 38' Riviera. Will let you know in case you are also out on the day.

Cheers,

Byron

Great to read your report Byron. Isn't awesome how some people just love sharing info with you? :thumbup: While others that think they know it all...just clam up!

Good luck with hunting marlin out of your boat! Looking forward to your report when you do get him.

26552[/snapback]

Absolutely spot on Joe, and I was not short on questions either :biggrin2:

When I spoke to him yesterday, I spent 40 mins on the phone just talking fishing and his ideas for the coming weeks. Unbelievable enthusiasm and eager to share it all with like minded fishos.

The amazing thing with Ross is that he is completely jaded with catching anything but Marlin these days. Tuna and dollies just don't cut it anymore!! :1yikes: I should be so fortunate to get to the point where nothing pushes my buttons unless it is a marlin!!

Ross talks on "high tide" each week, out of some of the dribble on that show his 5 minutes or so are the best part of the show.

That is if I am listenening as if I am not at work I am usually fishing this time of the morning.

if you guys need another boat to tee up with when you go wide, let me know.

im always going wide in my 5.2m centrecab

Ive done numerous trips to the shelf already this season.

so let me know.

Cheers,

Col

26761[/snapback]

More than happy to keep you in the loop Col.

See you on the water mate

Guest hottuna

Sounds too good to miss. I`m only on pc for a short few hrs before i resume fishing - had a slight engine malfunction. I`m preety keen to hit the deep blue off broken bay. Its was 12 months ago this week i landed a stripe est 60-70kg off copa beach in only 60m water , slow trolling big fat slimes over ground i covered hrs earlier with lures and didn`t get interest, anyway seems im babbling.

Martin

what depth off palmy/whale did you find you billfish? Just qurious as i reakon there alot closer than people think.

Dan

Ps AG and i might just given them a crack this weekend! keep you posted.