Water Inside The Boat!

nixmel

Hi, I went out for a 6 hour fish last night and when we were heading back I noticed a puddle of water around the front seat and when i pulled it out of the water a fair bit of water came out of the two side bungs. I usally get a bit of water out of the centre bung but not from the side ones, last night we did do a bit reversing picking up crab pots and what not and they was a bit of a swell, and were traveling quite slow when moving spots. I've got no visable damage on the hull of the boat, had the bungs in tight. If anyone has any input would be great, i've never had this before ( have never done that much reversing before in one session)

Thans Nick

Hi Nixmel. This post caught my eye. I can relate well to it from many years ago. Firstly if you keep your boat out in the weather even with a cover over most of it, rain water can build up inside the hull, particularly so after all the rain we have had recently. It is a good idea to remove all the bungs on dry land, so that water can run out and this gives the hull better drying capabilty and a good permanent airing as well.

Secondly when a boat looks good underneath, nine times out of ten the bung surrounds need to be removed and sealed properly.

Hope this helps

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Nixmel,

not sure what sort of boat you've got and whether it has any instruments. I was getting water under my feet at one stage and traced it to behind the dash... the speedo on my Quinnie has a little hose that runs to the back of the dial... the impella pumps water into the hose and the relative pressure gives the speed reading. The line had popped off the dial and whenever I was moving water was streaming out of the line behind the console. Easy fix.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi, I went out for a 6 hour fish last night and when we were heading back I noticed a puddle of water around the front seat and when i pulled it out of the water a fair bit of water came out of the two side bungs. I usally get a bit of water out of the centre bung but not from the side ones, last night we did do a bit reversing picking up crab pots and what not and they was a bit of a swell, and were traveling quite slow when moving spots. I've got no visable damage on the hull of the boat, had the bungs in tight. If anyone has any input would be great, i've never had this before ( have never done that much reversing before in one session)

Thans Nick

Hi Nick,

I had the same problem with my boat, especially when doing alot of reversing or slow trolling. It ended up that the water was getting in through where the engine mounting blots go through the hull. The water usually doesn't reach the blots when in forward motion or when stopped.

Some Sikaflex fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

Stephen