Food And Bait

coastspinna

hey raiders...

quick one...

mate rang at 6.30 am..."hey dude, no wind 2 drummer 2 squid already.."

i needed no more prodding ..

headed down there and caught an undersized drummer almost every cast for about 2 hours with 2 big wipeouts on good pigs... groundswell today made things interesting this morning we got pretty wet a few times..

i told my mate i was sick of using his inferior prawn baits and went and got the "super bait"...a piece of bread

and caught this bopper.. what is it guys?????

post-4939-1203393092_thumb.jpg

our wash slowed down then we spun for squid for about half an hour and i pulled these guys, my first squid i've ever caught which is sweet.mate got 3 as well.. :biggrin2:

post-4939-1203393130_thumb.jpg

now for stage two.....off to the beach even though i am stuffed... nice tide tonight

might get my first jew too :yahoo:

cheers raiders fish on

ian

estuary cod mate... i think.... beautiful to eat though protected in nsw... i think also.

More common further north. they say if u catch one on the reefs up north its a good sign that it hasnt been fished for a while as these are the first to be pulled out by fisho's as they eagerly take a fly, lure or bait.

don't know what it says about your ledge but it did coincide with good fishing..... well done

Edited by flybandit

Have a look at the Rules & Regulations Summary put out by NSW Fisheries.

As flybandit says it is a Cod and protected and is shown on the above pamphlet. It is actually a Black Cod.

The two species are very similar but the estuary cod (rockcod) is covered with small reddish brown dots, its stripes also do not extend right across the body, but both species are protected. It is found from Townsville to Victoria. (Quoting from Sea fishes of Southern Australia Hutchins & Swanson). Colour can vary a bit.

It is a good idea to know the protected and threatened species as if you are ever caught with them the penalties are pretty tough.

That was a good catch of squid, hope you convert them to a good Jewfish.

thx for the info on the black cod...i knew i had seen a pic of this guy somewhere.. he was released to fight another day anyway as i would never eat a fish that i couldn't identify..

no luck on the jewfish front with one run just after dark.....

we did score a bunch of nice tailor though on pillys and i spun up 3 nice ones....

i got a 47cm flatty as well so that was a nice addition... kept two choppers

i will post pics tomorrow flat battery on the cam

what a day i'm stuffed

cheers

ian

I'm pretty convinced that is a "Rock Cale" or "Shitfish" (common name). They're around everywhere - and the common name comes from the taste. Not endangered.

Here's a link to a previous discussion and photo.

Rock Cale

More info on the "Black Cod" which is protected can be found here.

It's rare, and a big fish - like 2m and 80kg. So I doubt that fish is one.

An info pdf can be found here

Mike

Edited by Mike Doyle

I'm pretty convinced that is a "Rock Cale" or "Shitfish" (common name). They're around everywhere - and the common name comes from the taste. Not endangered.

Here's a link to a previous discussion and photo.

Rock Cale

More info on the "Black Cod" which is protected can be found here.

It's rare, and a big fish - like 2m and 80kg. So I doubt that fish is one.

An info pdf can be found here

Mike

funnily enough i have seen a million rock cale and this isnt one.... look at the mouth and the tail... and also funnily enough they don't start off life as a 2m 80 kg fish... they have to grow.... i will post it in id for a more defininative answer

funnily enough i have seen a million rock cale and this isnt one.... look at the mouth and the tail... and also funnily enough they don't start off life as a 2m 80 kg fish... they have to grow.... i will post it in id for a more defininative answer

So the options are:

Rock Cale

Black Cod

Or possible even an Eastern Kelpfish

I still have my money (about 5c worth) on the Cale - just because of how common they are, and if you look at the picture, I think the head of the fish in the picture is too fat to be a Black Cod.

I go snorkeling all the time (and use to spear fish a bit) and the picture looks just like a Rock Cale to me - of course - I could be wrong!

Mike

thanx for the extra info saltrix wasnt quite sure about the estuary cod...... what about the barred cod to throw another one in there.. just got a fisheries sticker and it looks alot like that as well.... they say they're a deep water fish.... i dunno.... isn't fish identification great fun from a photo !!!!!!