Middle Harbour

zen801

Went out this morning for a quick fish and tried all of my usual spots for not a touch.

This has been the same scenario for awhile now so i headed off to find a new spot.

Put some livies down and started cubing pillies. Wasnt long before i boated a nice bream. Let him go as i dont like eating bream and then wouldnt you know it started pulling them in.

They came right up the berly trail to about 2m down and i could see them schooling and hitting the cubes. Never seen them do that before in MH. Then the kings turned up and boated one from a live yakka at 67cm. Geez they are fat as ATM.

Played around hand feeding the buggers for awhile. Pulled up the biggest blue swimmer i have ever seen he was a whopper but he let go as i was getting the net under him. Shame as crab and kingy would've been an excellent combo.

They headed off and so did i as i had one in the bag.

Thank god as my last few trips have been average. :1prop:

Edited by zenman

Good on you zenman. There's nothing better after a few "quiet" sessions than trying something different and having it come up trumps.

Great work! :thumbup:

I assume you had some lighter gear out for the bream while your livie was out. Have you ever hooked a kingy on the light gear?

Shame about the blue swimmer but sounded like a great day to me.

Cheers

Peter

Good on you zenman. There's nothing better after a few "quiet" sessions than trying something different and having it come up trumps.

Great work! :thumbup:

I assume you had some lighter gear out for the bream while your livie was out. Have you ever hooked a kingy on the light gear?

Shame about the blue swimmer but sounded like a great day to me.

Cheers

Peter

The first 2 bream took bait off the bottom on a 10kg rig. After that i floated cubes down the trail with no lead but still on the 10KG line. They were very hungry. I dont fish with anything other than 10kg mono. At most of the spots i fish in MH you never know whats gonna hit you. After losing many fish on light gear in deep water i went heavier years ago.

Good stuff on the finding the new spot. Sounds like a fun session.

Couldn't agree more about the rats in the harbour at the moment being very well conditioned. I've found it's not unusual to find around 4 yakkas in their stomach when gutting them, so they're obviously eating well!

Not asking you to divulge your new spot X, but I was wondering if you might be able to share with us if there was anything about the new spot that made you decide to try it? ie. structure, sounder reading, surface activity, hot tip etc...

Good stuff on the finding the new spot. Sounds like a fun session.

Couldn't agree more about the rats in the harbour at the moment being very well conditioned. I've found it's not unusual to find around 4 yakkas in their stomach when gutting them, so they're obviously eating well!

Not asking you to divulge your new spot X, but I was wondering if you might be able to share with us if there was anything about the new spot that made you decide to try it? ie. structure, sounder reading, surface activity, hot tip etc...

I chose the spot only because it was a point that came out and then dropped off. The tide was coming around the corner from a small bay. It was an area that used to fish very well 10 -20 years ago but seems to have gone off the radar probably due to the increased kingfish numbers in recent years and easy targeting of them at all the usual well reported spots.

Sounder showed a few arcs but nothing to right home about. Since installing a sounder a few months ago it has helped me to be a bit more adventurous. The fish really came on the bite when the tide slowed down then turned. The berly trail was effective as it had a nice gentle stagger down to the bottom. I prefer fishing in the deepest parts of MH and today i was in about 10 - 12m.

Cheers