Black Cod?

coastspinna

Question

10 answers to this question

i am sure its an epinephelus of some description, great advice pete... the main difference between the two seem to be that the convict groupers last stripe on the tail seems to go all the way to the bottom of the tail where

;on the black cod (or black saddle cod)... the last stripe is shallower and saddle shaped, like in my pic.... http://www.asfb.org.au/research/tsp/tfp_brockcod.htm

or here http://www.julianrocks.net/fish/bigfish/bi...Damelii1040.jpg

sorry mike its not a cale, that other discussion you refer to is not relevant here...they are nothing alike.... look at the dorsal fin( it starts near the head on the cale), mouth( the mystery fish has a cavernous mouth) and tail for starters(one is concave and one is convex)...plus they don't really look anything alike...

thx guys keep up the good work

ian

Edited by flathead fanatic

yep..I think you are right with the Black Rock Cod and not the Grouper...subtle differences eh?

Both their mothers must have slept around a bit on the sea bed :074:

Sure good to see some different species posted...not that I'm sick of looking at Kingies or Marlin by any means.

Cheers,

Pete.

Don't mean to rain on everyones parade but isn't this the same fish that everyone was calling as an estuary cod a few weeks ago under the topic "some sort of cod'? :wacko:

Josh

Edited by Josh88

Don't mean to rain on everyones parade but isn't this the same fish that everyone was calling as an estuary cod a few weeks ago under the topic "some sort of cod'? :wacko:

Josh

hard to compare as there was no photo of that fish:

same family different fish i think...maybe that one was a black cod too lol...my first thoughts when i caught him were ooh an estuary cod, but the saddle shape last stripe makes me tnink black sadldle cod... where is BF on this one...

My guess is a Black Cod also. The tail with the dark edge convinces me.

They are not common but not uncommon when your diving.

I've seen them at Avalon, Newport, Long Reef, Cape Banks, Dead mans. Saw what I believe was a huge one in Botany about 10 years ago (Might have been a Estuary) but it was a large COD.

Mate caught a tiny one up near Avoca live baiting one afternoon that i guess was about 30cm long and took a live Yakka.....greedy little bugger .

Estuary Cod have more spots than blotches and Convict Cod/ Grouper have a different Dorsal .

My tupence worth :1prop: