Sounder/gps Combo's

FredNerd

Hi All

As this is my first post, I would have liked it to start with a great catch story or just a great day on the water, but instead I would like to tap into some invaluable knowledge from the raider fraternity. Over the past couple of months I have been reading your many posts, both successful and unsuccessful (not to many of those), helpful hints and just great deed on the water (humorous and serious). I have made a conscious decision to get the boat up to scratch and join fellow raiders on the water and try to get a handle on salt water fishing.

It is time to retire the old fish finder (hummingbird SX100, with less than 40 hours of work on the clock), upgrading to a combination sounder/GPS. The banker (wife) has put a limit of $1500.00 but with a pinch I could streatch to $2,000.00. Bearing in mind, I would like to add a down rigger and if I possible, fit out the existing live bait well (never used) or upgrade to something bigger.

After many hours scouring the net and visiting dealers, I am just as confused as when I started. I have come to the conclusion that everyone makes the best combo on the market. No one runs second. This is where I need some input by tapping into your knowledge.

In the $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 price range (including specials) I have narrowed the field to:-

Lowrance LMS 527DF iGPS

Eagle 642c IGPS

Hummingbird 787c²

Navman 6507

Garmin 3005c (although this is a bit more expensive)

Looking at all specifications and they are all much of much ness. The main caritas I have set myself is the largest and highest resolution screen possible, dual frequency sounder while suitable for inside and outside use.

If any one has one or knows anyone with one of the above models I would like to hear from you. If I am not on the right track, any recommendations, comments or suggestions appreciated.

Well I am off to Rosehill this week end to see if I can add to the confused state I am already in.

Kind Regards

FredNerd

PS. I hope this post is not too long winded and I forgot to mention, any amount I spend on the boat I have to spend on the wife (banker). This is an unwritten rule in this household hence the budget.

Welcome to the forums Fred.

Sounds like you have done some homework already and I'm sure some raiders will offer their views on most of those sounders.

Great that you are doing a boat upgrade and have it all mapped out.

The deal with the banker sounds very much like my :wife: .

We've had that same deal since the day we were married and I always honour it (well..almost always LOL)

There are some things that "slip through the cracks" occasionally, like tackle...ahem!

Good luck with the sounder hunt.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi All

As this is my first post, I would have liked it to start with a great catch story or just a great day on the water, but instead I would like to tap into some invaluable knowledge from the raider fraternity. Over the past couple of months I have been reading your many posts, both successful and unsuccessful (not to many of those), helpful hints and just great deed on the water (humorous and serious). I have made a conscious decision to get the boat up to scratch and join fellow raiders on the water and try to get a handle on salt water fishing.

It is time to retire the old fish finder (hummingbird SX100, with less than 40 hours of work on the clock), upgrading to a combination sounder/GPS. The banker (wife) has put a limit of $1500.00 but with a pinch I could streatch to $2,000.00. Bearing in mind, I would like to add a down rigger and if I possible, fit out the existing live bait well (never used) or upgrade to something bigger.

After many hours scouring the net and visiting dealers, I am just as confused as when I started. I have come to the conclusion that everyone makes the best combo on the market. No one runs second. This is where I need some input by tapping into your knowledge.

In the $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 price range (including specials) I have narrowed the field to:-

Lowrance LMS 527DF iGPS

Eagle 642c IGPS

Hummingbird 787c²

Navman 6507

Looking at all specifications and they are all much of much ness. The main caritas I have set myself is the largest and highest resolution screen possible, dual frequency sounder while suitable for inside and outside use.

If any one has one or knows anyone with one of the above models I would like to hear from you. If I am not on the right track, any recommendations, comments or suggestions appreciated.

Well I am off to Rosehill this week end to see if I can add to the confused state I am already in.

Kind Regards

FredNerd

PS. I hope this post is not too long winded and I forgot to mention, any amount I spend on the boat I have to spend on the wife (banker). This is an unwritten rule in this household hence the budget.

PM sent

hey just to add to the confushion,you should look at the navman sounder,gps.chartploter.when i purchaced my boat and inquired about chartploters they all said it was over kill for a 5meter boat[but i insisted i needed one]and have found it a very valuble tool,you can even hook up sensors for fuel,motor monitors,all sorts off uther crap, we have the trackfish 650 purchased 2 years ago,so there should be an updated unit by now

regards brickman

Hi Fred. Nice to have you with us on Fishraider !!

Take a look at Kelvin's topics (Namesay). He targets fish and can often identify the species. He uses one of the Furunos which he says he prefers over a more expensive model. The cost is somewhere around $1200-$1400 I think.

Namesay has posted pics of the Furuno screen showing larger target fish and the position of his downrigger in relation to the bait which he drops close to his target.

In the Namesay topics you will find many pics showing some of Kelvin's excellent results on larger size jewfish and kingfish. I think you will be more than impressed.

Perhaps you could consider adding a separate GPS ?

I believe Kelvin's choice of this particular Furuno as the right sounder for the purpose would be a first class one.

Hope this helps. Although in the end it's your own decision.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Bonzer Imports i would recommend from my personal expricences ive had with david... his a top bloke and always does good prices compare to the aus market. Cant go wrong with him.

Not to long ago i brought my friend a humming bird 727 or 737 cant remember now for $890 delivered to my door! thats about 600 off the prices you get here.

Edited by Little Hooker

Hi All

Lowrance LMS 527DF iGPS

Eagle 642c IGPS

Hummingbird 787c²

Navman 6507

Kind Regards

FredNerd

Hi Fred Just a thought. Why get rid of your low hours sounder if it still works. Keep it and spend as much as you can afford on a stand alone GPS then in the future when the sounder dies, the slush fund has recovered enough you can then go and buy the best sounder you can afford. By the way i am not a big fan of combo units because if one fails you loose both while it is out being repaired if it can be repaired. Cant help with your shortlist as i am a raymarine fan. Steve