Marley And Cronulla

james7

We were hoping that the swell would drop last weekend and eventually my mate Syd gives me a call and by 10am we’re heading out of Port Hacking. There was still a decent swell and chop and Jibbon bommie was pumping.

post-4381-1203985260_thumb.jpg

We trolled around it a couple of times and then down the cliffs to Marley for not a touch, so we decided to try for a few flathead drifting back towards Jibbon in the freshening South easterly.

We picked up half a dozen flathead from 38 to 48cm and a decent chinaman jacket (39cm). Luckily we only lost two or three rigs to those pesky jackets.

post-4381-1203986297_thumb.jpg

I also caught this funny looking toad. I’ve never seen one like it before. Anyone know what it is?

post-4381-1203985309_thumb.jpg

Things went pretty quiet and the wind was getting stronger so we headed off towards Cronulla and Wanda. I caught a few big yakkas and Syd decided to put one out on his new TLD 30 reel. Half an hour passes and then suddenly the reel starts screaming. Syd’s hoping it was a big kingy, but we both knew from past experience that it was probably a shark. Suddenly, the line goes slack and Syd starts cursing. He starts to pull it in and wham, it hits again.

post-4381-1203985953_thumb.jpg

The shark puts up a good fight. (Syd regrets that he didn’t have the gimbal ready - he mentions something about no more children??). Eventually a hammerhead is beside the boat and Syd starts wrestling with it. Secretly I’m hoping Syd goes overboard so I can send the video off to Australia’s Funniest Home Videos and win $500!

post-4381-1203985416_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1203985883_thumb.jpg

What we think had happened is that the yakka had been smashed by the hammerhead and then it threw the hook. It came back for a second go and got jagged it the side.

Syd eventually gets it onboard for a few quick photos before releasing it.

post-4381-1203985533_thumb.jpg

It measured 110cm but we forgot to weigh it. Syd reckons it was at least 10kg, but then again he is getting weaker in his old age (lol)

post-4381-1203985486_thumb.jpg

For a last minute trip it ended up a good day. Seven decent flathead (38-48cm) and a big chinaman jacket (39cm) and most importantly, Syd broke in his new reel.

post-4381-1203985574_thumb.jpg

Also, despite the rumours, Syd insists that he didn’t steal the hat the Skipper wore on Gilligan’s Island … and my real name is not “Gilligan”.

post-4381-1203985623_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Great Pics and report.

There is nothing like a shark to test out a new outfit. My first fish I caught on my new reel was a hammerhead and if it wasn't for the boat chasing it I would have been spooled or waterskiing behind it. They are great fun. Sounds like a great day and good bag of fish

cheers,

Joe

Good effort again Peter some big fish there and I see good action again mate :thumbup: It's just the luck of the draw and the spot and time on the day when the reel screamers turn out to be sharks, that's for sure.

Blimey Pete, cop the flash looking Admiral's hat on the old Pick-A Box Syd, well I'll be. :D

What happened to his new look slim line game harness and that fluro Mancini Pete. Did Syd leave it on that odd looking charter come party boat on Saturday night, ay ? :lol: He won't be wearing that party hat to our next Hawkesbury session will he ?

Pete better tell Syd we'll have to duck dozens of flying tomatos if he wears that party captains hat up there among the jewfish hardliners, no risk about that mate :074:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

post-4381-1203985533_thumb.jpg
Blimey Pete, cop the flash looking Admiral's hat on the old Pick-A Box Syd, well I'll be.

What happened to his new look slim line game harness and that fluro Mancini Pete. Did Syd leave it on that odd looking charter come party boat on Saturday night, ay ? He won't be wearing that party hat to our next Hawkesbury session will he ?

Pete better tell Syd we'll have to duck dozens of flying tomatos if he wears that party captains hat up there among the jewfish hardliners, no risk about that mate

Cheers

jewgaffer

Aye Byron, Syd deserves a tomato or two for wearing that hat. Apparently when I was holding the boat at the ramp, Syd copped a few comments while walking to get the trailer. He's a braver man than me - even if he hasn't got any fashion sense. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have any affect his ability to catch fish.

Cheers

Peter

When do i get my trip out on the SS Minow Pete??

Well Floating_Medic

I’m thinking of taking a fateful trip this week, maybe just a three hour tour, a three hour tour. However, I’m a bit worried that the weather might start getting rough, which could in turn lead to my little ship being tossed. This could be dangerous despite the courage of the crew and besides, I’d hate to see the boat lost or even worse, I might end up set ground on the shore of an uncharted desert isle!

Are you still interested Floating_Medic?

Cheers

Peter

Well Floating_Medic

I’m thinking of taking a fateful trip this week, maybe just a three hour tour, a three hour tour. However, I’m a bit worried that the weather might start getting rough, which could in turn lead to my little ship being tossed. This could be dangerous despite the courage of the crew and besides, I’d hate to see the boat lost or even worse, I might end up set ground on the shore of an uncharted desert isle!

Cheers

Peter

haaa , that bring's back old memories , good ones though :1prop:

Well Floating_Medic

Cheers

Peter

Yeah why not, im always up for an adventure.

Yeah why not, im always up for an adventure.

Well Floating_Medic, I think I know you and a little bird tells me that you had a bit of an "adventure" yourself in Botany Bay one night last week - a jewie and a couple of big tailor. Also, you got a big flounder and threw it back!

Cheers

Peter

Well Floating_Medic, I think I know you and a little bird tells me that you had a bit of an "adventure" yourself in Botany Bay one night last week - a jewie and a couple of big tailor. Also, you got a big flounder and threw it back!

Cheers

Peter

Ah yes, and that little bird telleth the truth too!!

I shall try to re-live the events this weekend.