3 Days On The Hawkesbury.

Shark Bait

Hi all.

I fished patonga, juno, rail bridge & little wobby ontuesday, wednesday, thursday & friday last week. Used squid baits, plastics & live yellowtail for bait. Fished hard for flathead & jewfish night & day. Caught buggar all.

On Friday morning i spoke to a trawler operator in Patonga. I asked him for advice. He told me that Cowan & Pittwater have clean water, but the hawkesbury & broken bay aren't holding fish yet after the fresh. He told me none of the fishing boats are catching anything out of the Hawkesbury. He also said there's no squid anywhere they're licenced to trawl. He suggested my best option would be to fish the northern side of lion island (where they still net flathead) or pittwater.

I went out & drifted off Lion with liveys & plastics Island for about 3 hours till I had cramps from throwing up. Caught nothing.

From there I went back to West Head. I noticed a charter boat trawling lures through the white wash, & figured he knows best, & gave it a go. A 55cm tailor & a 75cm salmon followed. They went off the bite at about 10am.

From there I went to The Basin & caught a 60cm flathead on an 85mm flick bait.

Persistance payed off in the end. Pulled the boat out & went home for a rest.

Cheers,

Shark Bait.