Bonito!

katsuo

After two weeks of snow boarding in Japan I couldnt wait to get back and start fishing for Bonito. Bought some nice metal lure's from a Japanese fishing store.

headed out to Bass Point in Wollongong on Saturday. Wanted to fish for some Bonito on my new rod. The weather was nice and sunny. After casting and retrieving my lure for 2 hours I finally got a hook up My very first Bonito!!! at 42cm.

Compared to the other folks there they were catching ones up to 60cm!!! *I very jealous*

Can't wait to go back out there for round two this Saturday.

post-6570-1204018903_thumb.jpg

post-6570-1204019129_thumb.jpg

Edited by katsuo

Nice little Bonnie there. They go soooo hard and never stop, like they've got energisers in'em. What happened to his tail? Is that another strike from something bigger or did he get cut about on the rock?

Cheers,

Brian.

Nice little Bonnie there. They go soooo hard and never stop, like they've got energisers in'em. What happened to his tail? Is that another strike from something bigger or did he get cut about on the rock?

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Yeah it was a very nice fight. He got cut about on the rock. Would like to hook up a bigger one next time.

Cheers, katsuo

katsuo = bonito hahahahah :074:

Nice lure too. I couldnt resist it either, I came back with a carbon fibre, telescopic, 16' light beach rod. They make the best telescopic rods with no loss of action.

Mata ne!

Hah! so you know what Bonito is in Japanese. Since moving back from Japan I always wanted to fish for Bonito of the shore because you can't do it in Japan. And I also wanted to prove it to my wife. I made Katsuo Tataki with my catch. It was delicous!.

o.O have you seen the equipment shimano makes =D

watch shimano tv :biggrin2: its free

theyre telescopic are great! no kidding wish i had one.

jya~ ne

Good little fish there.

Have to agree on Shimano's telescopics. Bought a cheap combo from Rebel before heading off on honeymoon to Vanuatu. Caught a number of trevallies (including a beautiful bluefin trevally that the wife caught) with it both from shore and off a boat. They are also fairly strong and it didn't even look like breaking even when fouled up on the reef and locked up.

cheers

mr mojo

I spent 4 years in a major seaside town in Japan so got to do a bit of fishing of wharfs etc. Never really caught anything very big but it is pretty good to catch anything at all. When in season katsuo wasnt too expensive and great on the BBQ.

Thats great, which town did you stay? I was in Matsue city (shimane ken) a town thats practically close to many fishing spots and a large lake which have suzuki (bass) and 20 mins drive away you have the Japan sea and many fishing wharfs.

I was in Choshi, Chiba-ken which is on the Bosoo peninsula, the most easterly point of Honshuu.

Picked up a reasonable suzuki in the Tonegawa one day. Was not sure whether to eat it or not due to the pollution ( you should see the mutant mullet :( ) Decided one fish wouldnt kill us.

Apart from that it was manly ishimochi (a small species of Jewfish), haze (large goby) and a few other bits and pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

When down to Hill 60 on Sunday to have a go at catching another Bonito. There were quite a few people using gang hooks with pillies. I was the only one using a 25gm metal lure.

it was a bit quite for a couple of hours so I did some squid jigging and scored 2 for dinner. then the Bonito's started comming in. 1.... 2.... 3... hook ups :1yikes: by some of the men using pillies, then I switched over to my metal lure and bang! Im ON! ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz my line screamed and then it stopped and I was reeling it in and enjoying the moment Zzzzzzzzzzzzz again and again. I was loving the fight the Bonito gave :thumbup: Got it close to the rocks and reached over to get my net so I can land it. It was pretty big maybe 2.5 kilos. As I reached for my net I snaged my line on the oysters on the rocks and snapped my line. Oh Bugger! :ranting2:

had a great time but wish I landed it.... oh well........

It was Bonito frenzy out there around 12 Bonitos hooked up and landed. And one Aussie Salmon which did some aerial manouvers.

Had my polarised sunnies on and I can see these Bonitos chasing after my lure 4~5 times.

anyway better luck next time.

When down to Hill 60 on Sunday to have a go at catching another Bonito.

haha hill 60 at port kembla? i went up there to have a look at the view a couple of months ago, it was midday on a weekday but there were so many sleazy as shit guys skulking around up there by themselves looking for god knows what...don't take your kids up there!

What time of day was the Bonito's biting? I was at Kiama on the weekend and only saw 2 or 3 bonitos taken on lures. Didn't touch my pillies. :05:

When down to Hill 60 on Sunday to have a go at catching another Bonito. There were quite a few people using gang hooks with pillies. I was the only one using a 25gm metal lure.

it was a bit quite for a couple of hours so I did some squid jigging and scored 2 for dinner. then the Bonito's started comming in. 1.... 2.... 3... hook ups :1yikes: by some of the men using pillies, then I switched over to my metal lure and bang! Im ON! ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz my line screamed and then it stopped and I was reeling it in and enjoying the moment Zzzzzzzzzzzzz again and again. I was loving the fight the Bonito gave :thumbup: Got it close to the rocks and reached over to get my net so I can land it. It was pretty big maybe 2.5 kilos. As I reached for my net I snaged my line on the oysters on the rocks and snapped my line. Oh Bugger! :ranting2:

had a great time but wish I landed it.... oh well........

It was Bonito frenzy out there around 12 Bonitos hooked up and landed. And one Aussie Salmon which did some aerial manouvers.

Had my polarised sunnies on and I can see these Bonitos chasing after my lure 4~5 times.

anyway better luck next time.

What time of day was the Bonito's biting? I was at Kiama on the weekend and only saw 2 or 3 bonitos taken on lures. Didn't touch my pillies. :05:

They started commin in at 1pm and it was bonito frenzy for 30 minutes. but they still hanged around until 3pm.

Katsuo

Let me start by saying NEVER be jealous of another catching bigger or more fish than you!!! Watch, listen and learn from them and soon you'll be doing the same!!!

You've got the right idea fishing for Bonito on light gear... I had an experience of catching many Bonito on a charter on 15kg outfits... I must say it was the most boring fishing I've ever done!!! The fish give up after the first run and the type of gear used meant we just skull dragged the poor things to the boat!!!

I am jealous of your Katsuo feed though!!! When we all coming over... your cooking by the sounds!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

PJ Garn

PS. Did your Katsuo Tataki look this good????

l.jpg

Edited by PJ Garn

I am jealous of your Katsuo feed though!!! When we all coming over... your cooking by the sounds!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

PJ Garn

PS. Did your Katsuo Tataki look this good????

Hey thats a very nice katsuo tataki dish. Looks very nice. nicer then what I made a couple of weeks ago. Did you make that? In Japan Im guessing.