Narrabeen Lake This Morning

josh_fisho

hello all,

im new to fishraider so this is my first post...

i woke up at 5 this morning and headed to wimbeldon ave to fish on the warf thing.

fishing with whitebait i landed about four bream, only two where legal- and only just.

the sizes where about 26cm, 25cm, 23cm, and 20cm, also lost another one which looked legal.

all the fish where released so i dont have any pics.

there is stacks of bream their at the moment, and im sure that their has to be some bigger specimens around. though next time i will bring some tougher bait as the bait was torn to threads before i could even turn the bale over.

is anyone else getting much in the lake atm?

could anyone tell me some decent spots?

cheers, josh

hello all,

im new to fishraider so this is my first post...

i woke up at 5 this morning and headed to wimbeldon ave to fish on the warf thing.

fishing with whitebait i landed about four bream, only two where legal- and only just.

the sizes where about 26cm, 25cm, 23cm, and 20cm, also lost another one which looked legal.

all the fish where released so i dont have any pics.

there is stacks of bream their at the moment, and im sure that their has to be some bigger specimens around. though next time i will bring some tougher bait as the bait was torn to threads before i could even turn the bale over.

is anyone else getting much in the lake atm?

could anyone tell me some decent spots?

cheers, josh

Hi Josh and :1welcomeani: to the forums.

I have gotta agree that whitebait is a good choice in the lake..my favourite too. I have been weaning myself into plastics lately with some success but w/b is still gun bait at Narra.

It's hard to keep on a hook though..long shank thru the eye and pin as far back along the side of the w/b.

I try and get my whitebait from a good fishmonger as it's usually a lot fresher than bait shop bought w/b. or frozen.

If you want to chase some flatties...Pipeclay Point is the go.

You might get some bream at Jamieson Park too where you park to access Pipeclay.

Whiting should still be on the flats in front of the caravan park..try bloodworms or tubeworms or live nippers.

You could try Billarong Reserve off the Wakehurst Pkwy. for some nice bream and flatties.

Any other Narra Lake regulars want to add to this for Josh?

Cheers,

Pete.

Hey Josh,

I fish Narra Lake a lot. Use to from the banks, then moved into a kayak and now from a tinnie with a bow mounted electric.

Pete's on the money re his suggestions. Basically anywhere where you can find intermitent weed and sand patches. Most of my fish i get in less than a metre of water hard up against the weeb beds - where the little shrimp/prawns/baitfish are.

I use to kayak around pipeclay point and most often scored flatties and some bream on small hard body lures (small attacks in pink/black my fav).

I got my biggest ever whitting off the flats on the wetern side of ocean st bridge (44cm) on peeled prawn at night. But most success on nippers, with dusk and night time the best (shallow clear water so they feel more comfortable coming up on dark).

If you can get small live pody mullet you will get into the bigger flathead. I release any over 55cm as they are mainly all females at that size. Whitebait is great though. I use a long shank 2 hook. Go thru the tail and out the eye, then do a half hitch around the tail - this secures it nicely.

One of the simplest and most fun methods i find is just taking some bread (and maybe a few frozen prawns), a few hooks and split shots down opposite the caravan park just on the corner of the weed beds at the bend. Use 4lb line, small #8 hook and small split shot a meter up the line. Chuck out a bit of bread on top and under the water. Put a little on your hook (bread or prawn) and you will get good mullet and legal bream and occasionaly whiting and blackfish. Great fun on light line and no weight.

Now it's all soft plastics for me in the tinny - around the main weed bed opposite wimbledon ave and up the back of the lake. Lot's of flathead and bream and on sunday scored a 36cm whiting on a softy.

Narra lake is probably the most underestimated bit of water in NSW i reckon. I get more legal fish out of there than anywhere. And it's the most prettiest and quiet place to fish in Sydney, especially on sunset.

Hope this helps mate.

Jake

Hi Josh and :1welcomeani: to the forums.

I have gotta agree that whitebait is a good choice in the lake..my favourite too. I have been weaning myself into plastics lately with some success but w/b is still gun bait at Narra.

It's hard to keep on a hook though..long shank thru the eye and pin as far back along the side of the w/b.

I try and get my whitebait from a good fishmonger as it's usually a lot fresher than bait shop bought w/b. or frozen.

If you want to chase some flatties...Pipeclay Point is the go.

You might get some bream at Jamieson Park too where you park to access Pipeclay.

Whiting should still be on the flats in front of the caravan park..try bloodworms or tubeworms or live nippers.

You could try Billarong Reserve off the Wakehurst Pkwy. for some nice bream and flatties.

Any other Narra Lake regulars want to add to this for Josh?

Cheers,

Pete.

wow, thanks heaps for the info!!

yeah, i do fish a bit with plastics for plenty of flatties, tailor and the occasional bream, but i need to re stock my tackle supply as most m lures have been eaten!

i dont really fish those areas into the lake, but ill give them a try!

cheers!, josh :1fishing1:

Hey Josh,

I fish Narra Lake a lot. Use to from the banks, then moved into a kayak and now from a tinnie with a bow mounted electric.

Pete's on the money re his suggestions. Basically anywhere where you can find intermitent weed and sand patches. Most of my fish i get in less than a metre of water hard up against the weeb beds - where the little shrimp/prawns/baitfish are.

I use to kayak around pipeclay point and most often scored flatties and some bream on small hard body lures (small attacks in pink/black my fav).

I got my biggest ever whitting off the flats on the wetern side of ocean st bridge (44cm) on peeled prawn at night. But most success on nippers, with dusk and night time the best (shallow clear water so they feel more comfortable coming up on dark).

If you can get small live pody mullet you will get into the bigger flathead. I release any over 55cm as they are mainly all females at that size. Whitebait is great though. I use a long shank 2 hook. Go thru the tail and out the eye, then do a half hitch around the tail - this secures it nicely.

One of the simplest and most fun methods i find is just taking some bread (and maybe a few frozen prawns), a few hooks and split shots down opposite the caravan park just on the corner of the weed beds at the bend. Use 4lb line, small #8 hook and small split shot a meter up the line. Chuck out a bit of bread on top and under the water. Put a little on your hook (bread or prawn) and you will get good mullet and legal bream and occasionaly whiting and blackfish. Great fun on light line and no weight.

Now it's all soft plastics for me in the tinny - around the main weed bed opposite wimbledon ave and up the back of the lake. Lot's of flathead and bream and on sunday scored a 36cm whiting on a softy.

Narra lake is probably the most underestimated bit of water in NSW i reckon. I get more legal fish out of there than anywhere. And it's the most prettiest and quiet place to fish in Sydney, especially on sunset.

Hope this helps mate.

Jake

wow, cheers for that, thats some greats advice

i didnt know that the lake produced decent whiting like that!, ill have to give that a try!!

im with you on using bread. in fact at that exact area opposite the carpark i have had some good sucess on the bream, mullet and blackfish- except when i was fishing their the conditions where terrible so i used a small blackfish float. but i know what you mean about fun on the light gear :1fishing1:

thanks alot, josh

hi josh good report

pipeclay pt. dawn, pink mr.twisters double tail for flaties

also big bream south of pipeclay towards cromer on h/bodies

and take some bread for big mullet,bream and garfish

have you caught any blackies lately

peter :1fishing1:

thanks for the advice.

i havnt gone for blackies in the lake for ages, but i went onece of the rocks a warriwood, but only got one of those spike fish.

have you got any blackies other than those beauts of mona vale?

cheers, josh :1fishing1:

The guys areon the money if you want to try hardbodies try the rapala range i use for the Hutt River browns and they are finicky as any fish you'll find try the CD3 or CD1 in the perch pattern or the rapalahusky jerk in the whitebait pattern the rapala jointed floating is great to.

I haveused these to devastaing effect on saltwater species in southcoast lakes taking flatties, bream and even luderick with them thefav being the husky! They now entice a lot of follows and two hookups from the fussiest brown trout i have seen!

Hope this helps.

Have been getting reasonable flatties around one tree island, the channel west of Pittwater Road and up hard against the drop off on the main bank to the west of Wimbldon Ave trolling hardbodies in the Yak. Also some whiting on poppers on the main bank - hard to hook the buggers though....

dont overlook water that is only 2 feet deep

cheers

Bennos