Walking The Dog

coastspinna

hey dudes,

been workin on my walk the dog tecnique.....

how often should i pause, and for how long?

also what are you thoughts on weedy mudflats, rather than sand...

the bait is there in a big way!!

i am mainly interested in flatties, and i've been using poppers to cover all that stuff we usually drive past

cheers,

ian

Hi Ian

When watching the bass tournaments, I've always been surprised at just how fast they do the 'walk the dog' retrieve!! They don't seem to pause much either .... I think it is really emulating a water dragon scooting across the top of the water as fast as he can go! The wake it leaves behind & erratic nature of the retrieve just triggers the fish to attack the lure, assuming it is dinner!

I saw a buddy catch a 70+cm flattie in a small creek here earlier in the year, using a popper! We were in our yaks & in the middle of the creek & just casting to the sand & mud edges & retrieving back to the yak.

I have also caught good flatties in the main river using the same technique but with sps, actually landing it on the sandy beach & then retrieving it in short sharp jerks. It got hit within 6ft of the edge, repeatedly! Specially on a falling tide! The flatties are waiting further out as they know the baitfish have to run the gauntlet to get past them to deeper water!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta