My First Go At Catching A King

garyd

post-1707-1204616505_thumb.jpgHi guys,

Spent today on the harbour looking to catch my first king, and i guess i kind of succeeded. Morning started gathering bait as ussual, got 1 squid and a few yakka's and then headed amongst the moored boats near the spit bridge (my boat is quite small so couldn't get amongst the swell). Put out a sqid strip and about 10 mins later it went off. My fishing buddy called it for a small king but after a short fight i pulled up a 74cm Cobia. Now thats about the last thing i would be expecting to catch in the harbour, am i un-educated, are these often caught this far south in estuaries. Any way great day on the water and a mixed bag of fish including a good bream, a whiting, a couple of flatties and a leather jacket.

Gary

Edited by garyd

Well you got a black kingfish, they do venture down here in the warmer months and are quite present when the water is at its warmest between march-may. Hopefully next time you get a kingy.

Josh

that's a nice cobe there to start things off, well done. they are good eating, i prefer them better then kingy's, i would happily swap a king for a cobe any day, i am hoping that my first fish Land Based Game is a 20kg cobe, i will be keeping it for the table. is there anyone hear who fish's Land Based or is into Land Based Game fishing??

Scon, me and some mates do little bit LBG at this time of year. Long hours for nothing then one day it goes off and keeps you coming back for the next 10 years. I think we will hear of a big cobe caught by someone in the next few weeks from the harbour or heads. Hope its me!!!