Why Do People Buy Larger V-punts

sami

I know that many ppl love their v-punts but i can't see the appeal in having one say greater than 4.2m. I can see the distinct advantage in the smaller boats given the instability of little v-hull tinnies.

I've owned a few little tinnies in the past and have fished on a few more, given the apparent design issues with porpoising of v-punts and their harsh riding in bumpy conditions, is there that great a different in stability to opt for a v-punt over a standard v-hull when looking at a boat > 4.2m

Sure they might be a little more stable and possibly have a little more deck space but what is the real appeal of the larger v-punt. I imagine the draft of a vihull isn't that limiting as you could take a 14ft v-hull into the same water as a 14ft v-punt

A 4.2 m v-hull can be taken out in the bays and around the heads in most conditions and can be taken upstream to chase all the little stuff.

Is it just clever marketing or am i missing something....?

Sami

Edited by sami

Which hull you buy depends on what you want to do with it. I have a 4.45 V punt as you call it & I bought it for 2 reasons. The first being it draws very little water which makes it suitable for the areas I fish all of which are very shallow & mostly inacessible to v bottoms. Secondly was stability for my old man to fish from. Much more stable than a v hull & don't perform as badly in open water as many people like to make out.

The bottom line is you get whatever suits you best.

Sami

I await the response from the hornet owners :1prop: .... how dare you question v-punts.

Nah.. totally agree with your point, I have a 14ft Deep V. much deeper than a punt/hornet and I have no hesitation taking it offshore (no more than a couple of miles) if the swell is less than 1.5m (smooth swell) or there is not too much chop about. Its stable enought to have two guys fight and net a fish on the one side - mind you it does tilt a little bit, definately not as stable as a punt. My boat would not be as shallow a draft as a punt either, but I can still get into some tight spots, shallower than I want to fish anyway.

Pedro... I can fish two people on the front cast deck of my boat..???, the biggest problem is clashing rods when u want to cast.

Adrian

G'day sami

Price would be one thing I reckon. Punts seem to be about a few k cheaper for the same size (only comparing quinnies). Also I think there are more dedicated estuary only and lure only fisherman now who are not concerned about hitting the white water which is why they will opt for a larger v punt rather than a medium v hull. They are much more stable than the v hulls I have been in, carry more gear, doesn't get affected by the wind as much making it easier to control and put on the trailer by yourself and casting room for lure fisherman is greatly increased. As Ken mentioned with the standard hornets etc there is a fair bit of free board when not on the deck and the are definately sea worthy in seas up to about 1.5m. I have had mine out the heads countless times and on good days I'll scout the valient or boultons. U can't go fast but I am usually trolling at 4-6knots anyway, and even in my old boat (5.5m allision cubby cabin) the ride was still bumpy trying to go much faster. The fibreglass punts boats like the tritons have barely any freeboard but handle the chop much better than the punts. I am certain they will eventually take alot of business from the all hull boats. I wouldn't be brave enough to take them outside though. I must admit though if I was to buy a new boat I would probably go a fibreglass v hull centre consol like the attack boats to make travelling a little more comfortable. but they are about double the price of my little punt so it is out of reach.

Sami

I await the response from the hornet owners 1prop.gif .... how dare you question v-punts.

:risata: My boat is a Hornet I was being diplomatic :1prop:

27010[/snapback]

Ken

Noticed your reply was very --- sedate.

Horses for courses. If you want the ultimate flat water boat, and dont ever expect to hit offshore and only hit the bays occasionally, small punts are great, and the bigger hornets are definately more than just a punt and much more capable. It would take a fair bit to feel unsafe in one.

Adrian

BTW Ken, Pumps fits perfectly, the old one wont even turn, all siezed up and rust coming from inside the motor. Thanks again :thumbup:

Yeah horses for courses. .

.....A deeper V to cut through bigger seas costs stability at rest. Who needs a deep V if you only fish inside?

27018[/snapback]

many fair points raised.

the reason i asked in the first place is that i've spoken to a few ppl at the ramp who would have preferred their v-punt to be able to handle the chop in more open water (maybe they lack confidence/experience to head out there??) in order to chase kingies and sambos.

Hornets & similar hulls can handle chop to a degree. I'm not talking 20 knots of wind chop but reasonable conditions. You have to pick your days same as with any other style of boat. Experience in different conditions & how to handle a boat to suit those conditions certainly helps but in nasty heavy chop conditions the question needs to be asked "am I enjoying myself?" I haven't found fishing heavy chop comfortable in any small boat be it glass or aluminium.

If you want to fish large bays & offshore regularly chasing pelagics why buy a punt in the first place?

Guest Big-Banana
Not just the open blue water either Sami.  Blokes can get in a fair bit of strife in some of our dams - particularly Glenbawn.

27132[/snapback]

I was reading a magazine and it had an article on Glenbawn. I was shocked at how much chop goes through there during the windier months. It would be more than capable of rolling your boat over.