Harbour Squid

plankton

After towing a charter back to safety it must have been the fishing gods who blessed us with a few nice squid. To sum up there was little action on the heads today and nothing seemed interested in the range of lures trolled. As the swell increased we moved to some of the more protected kelp grounds for some Calamari. It's worth noting that I've spent some long hours trying to catch these but mostly to no avail. Sometimes when the buggers are there in front of me, I still can't catch them. Anyway, dads completely unaware of how to catch them, let alone how to use a squid jig... so, after a quick run down and a demonstration he fired a first cast into the water and come up tight on this fella which was around 50cm!! I couldn't believe it - beginners luck!

post-3217-1204871947_thumb.jpg

I scored a couple too...

post-3217-1204872098_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't devastate dad and use them as baits for potential Kingies so we took them home and had a nice feed of Calamari. It was nice to finally get a few.

Plankton!

Edited by plankton

Theyre some nice sized squiddies mate :D Well done on the captures, bet that would've brought smiles and grins all around :D

For all those who aren't so familiar with squid jigging, could you enlighten us on the techniques used?

Nice squid there mate .

I was also out today landed 3 kings biggest being 76cm lost 3 also.

ran out of live squid. then downrigged yakas and squid strips around every marker in the harbour till 11 oclock with not 1 single hit.

p.s was that you Shadda at the yellow marker with your mate.

Edited by cflife

I heard of a neat little trick when the squid start killing your yakkas. Put a small dropper at the end of your main line with a very small treble. This can be either very carfully pierced into the top of the yakka or with a small rubber band to hold it in place. Anyway the idea is when the suqidy covers the yakka but misses the main hook he? ll get caught on the treble.

BP

na man was that u that downrigged my anchor rope ?

and nearly chomped my anchor rope on ya prop? mmm can u get any closer???

at the wedding cakes?

Yeah man that was me that downrigged your anchor rope at the wedding cake.

I could have gone a lot closer by going between you and the cake , but thought id do the right thing and stay on your outside.

P.S i didnt realize you had let out far to much rope.

better luck next time on the kings , maybe you should try downrigging. :074:

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the other night mate it was good, shame the jewies didnt want to behave.

Throw fresh squid like that at em over the next 2 -3 months and you will crack a nice jewie soon enough.

Cheers

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the other night mate it was good, shame the jewies didnt want to behave.

Throw fresh squid like that at em over the next 2 -3 months and you will crack a nice jewie soon enough.

Cheers

Michael, no probs mate. It was a good trip - should do it again! I didn't think of using the heads of the squid on the high tide coming in. Would have been in with a high chance being March and all.

Brett