New Boat & Trailer Help?

numbnuts

Hi guys . am looking to buy a new STESSCO 460 TORNADO , seems the best value after also considering the STACER NOMAD and the ALLYCRAFT KAKADU KARRIER .Problem is what trailer to put under it?I want one with brakes , the Stacer & Dunbiers look very good but are very pricey( around $2700 ).And the dealer has a SEATRAIL which is nearly$1,000 cheaper, it looks OK but is Chinese import I think and I dont know much about them.Does any one know much about them? or even recommend a brand of trailer that is also good value? cheers Don :1fishing1:

I would be very wary of Chinese imports , as they may not meet our ADR's ( Australian Design Regulations) . From what I hear , it is not an offence to sell an non ADR product , but it is to use it ! A quick call to the RTA would soon set you right .

As for cost , the old adage rings true " You only get what you pay for !"

Ross

Does the boat / motor etc your considering exceed 750kg , if not then from a legal aspect brakes are not required.

If your assuming the brakes will have a big effect when braking , they assist a bit , depends how well they are working at the time but the car does most of the work.

What are you planning to tow the boat with

In respect to cost , $2700 is about the going rate for a trailer with brakes suit a 4.6 mt boat.

Geoff

i got a stessco as it was cheaper and better set up than the other brands i looked at

heres mine

post-1893-1204973351_thumb.jpg

i wouldnt bother with a breaked trailer. if you dont need it,

its just something else that can go wrong. and cost extra money to maintain and register every year.

My previous boat was a 525 c/console with no brakes ,it sometimes got a bit hairy when unthinking drivers cut in front of you with little room to pull up.Thats why I want brakes on this on cos after doing the sums Hull 340kg + Trailer220kg +Motor 114kg leaves me at 674kg add to that 70litres of fuel + tackle,batteries ,ice ,gear it would be borderline.Also, a mate of mine was in a minor bingle while towing his un-braked boat,the insurance company refused to payout,they said it was an illegality because the boat weighed in over the 750kg .

As for the trailer, It looked OK in the showroom ,they pointed out that the brake cables were twice the thickness of the Dunbier next to it ,also its got gal mudguards where all others these days have the plastic type.

Thats why I asked for advice,it just sounded too good to be true....I reckon I will be shelling out an extra grand and getting an Aussie brand.Thanks guys.

My previous boat was a 525 c/console with no brakes ,it sometimes got a bit hairy when unthinking drivers cut in front of you with little room to pull up.Thats why I want brakes on this on cos after doing the sums Hull 340kg + Trailer220kg +Motor 114kg leaves me at 674kg add to that 70litres of fuel + tackle,batteries ,ice ,gear it would be borderline.Also, a mate of mine was in a minor bingle while towing his un-braked boat,the insurance company refused to payout,they said it was an illegality because the boat weighed in over the 750kg .

As for the trailer, It looked OK in the showroom ,they pointed out that the brake cables were twice the thickness of the Dunbier next to it ,also its got gal mudguards where all others these days have the plastic type.

Thats why I asked for advice,it just sounded too good to be true....I reckon I will be shelling out an extra grand and getting an Aussie brand.Thanks guys.

Speak with Craig at huett marine, he also sells these trailers i think, i looked at them at the recent show and thought they were okay but a bit rough around the edges. IE one i looked at had some gal that had chipped/flaked off! As mentioned above you get what you pay for, also resale on these will be down.