Eucumbene Again

Matt

Once again I decided to head back to the Snowies and Lake Eucumbene to take advantage of the current good Trouting. I wasn't let down one bit with Rainbows abundant for those willing to put the effort in.

Session 1:

Early morning session saw near to freezing conditions out at the Lake! It was the middle of summer and here we were rugged up like it was the dead of winter :frozen: Didn't take to long to locate a fish, a good 1.3kg Rainbow sucking in a Mudeye within 5 minutes of us arriving. I lost another fish the next cast but made up for it with a better 1.5kg fish a short time later. We had few hits on lures and I continued my apprenticeship with the fly before we left.

Session 2:

An after dinner session was attempted as according to reports the fish were feeding better after dark. A nasty storm had us hiding in the Ute for a while but the evening turned perfect and as the shadows lengthened the Trout moved in. A Rainbow and a Brown, both around 1kg sucked in the Mudeyes right before dark and we continued with a couple of smaller Rainbows directly after. One of these was an amazing capture. My Dad thought he had a fish on his bait rod and brought in a small Rainbow, along with my bait setup. It turned out the fish had taken my bait and swum around Dad float, not unusual, but it was tangled badly so I cut my line and just left the main line floating in the lake whilst we sorted the mess. As I went back to retrieve the main line and rerig I discovered I had a fish?? What the..... who's line did I cut then? It became clear when we found that a Rainbow had swum through the Fireline lassooing itself! I caught a Trout with nothing but a blank line :1worthy: One more Rainbow came our way before we called it quits.

Session 3:

Another evening/night session. There was literally hundreds of people out at the lake tonight, they must have heard of last nights good fishing. I have fished the Snowies for 25 years and I dont think I have ever seen this many people! We trekked a distance before setting up and discovered the Trout were gun shy tonight. Either due to the heat of the day or maybe the hordes of anglers who were pestering them. But one or two were around and we scored a pair of average Rainbows each after dark. I had my first ever hit on a Fly, an Olive Mudeye getting sucked in but I missed the take and ended up with the Olive Mudeye in my hat! Dad blew a good fish that took his Minnow Spin due to a curled over hook point on the treble :05:

Interestingly all fish we caught took live Mudeye's drifted under bubble floats. A deadly method but normally we score 50% of our fish on lures. But the Trout were in one of those moods where it had to be a live, wiggling Mudeye. Even the Fly Boys were having trouble with the various mudeye imitationas and I only saw one or two taken on the Fly. The Live Mudeyes also had to be positioned perfectly, they had to be put into the channel formed by the old Arthella Creek Bed. Not in the channel, no fish. We saw this when a number of other guys floating Mudeyes got no fish whilst we did, there baits weren't on the money. :thumbdown:

Cheers

Windy

PS. No photos this time, despite me having the camera all the time :hitsfan:

Edited by Matt

Excellent report Matt. It's a shame you missed the fish on the fly, but you have a good excuse to give the long wand a go again next time.  :biggrin2:

27139[/snapback]

I am in dangerous territory here Swoff, my last trip to a Tacklo involved buying more Fly Gear and I even purchased the latest copy of Fly Life! Have I sold my soul to the devil??? :1yikes:

Cheers

Windy

You've cleansed you soul mate, now you're a real "elitist".  :1prop:

What fly outfit did you get?

Using bait would be selling your soul to the devil... oh you did that too.  :ranting2:

27143[/snapback]

I did get an Innovator Distance 6/7 weight and a Scientific Angler reel Swoff :thumbup:

As for the bait comment, well I like to use whatever will catch me fish. And you know, drifting out Mudeye's whilst sitting and enjoying a coffee was far better for my soul than the never ending rush rush of Breaming :1prop: Sometimes methinks I am missing something when chasing Bream etc on lures, its the simple things that I seem to find the most relaxing :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

Agree with your thoughts Matt,

The essence of fishing for me is good times on the water. Whether it be actively hunting fish with lure or fly, or simply relaxing with your beverage of choice and soaking a bait.

It is the diversity of our chosen sport that makes it unique and addictive, and best of all it really offers something for everyone!

Love reading your trout reports mate!! Keep them coming.

Byron

Spot on Byron :thumbup:

I knew you wus baiting me Swoff :1prop::hitsfan: I did nearly take the bait :biggrin2:

Actually the combo came from Alpine Angler, I know the guys quite well up there and they did me a great deal :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy