Sunday 9th Kingfish

sebastian

I caught my first kingfish woohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and a mate soaked yellowtail down low for a couple of hours just inside the heads for nothing, then dropped off his girlfriend (we should have moved elsewhere, but returned to the spot we were at as we were quite content sitting there trying) and i had a few hits but nothing special.

We ended up catching a smallish snapper each (his on the yellowtail) and then i was sick of this and i set down some squid strips from a squid i'd caught a few days prior.

Now i lost 2-3 strips to peckers, and i caught the snapper on a strip, and at that point i needed to head home and i had said "ok, in 8 minutes, we are leaving, no matter what happens ok. i am setting my alarm on my phone, and come hell or high water, in 8 minutes we are leaving when my alarm goes off."

so set my alarm, watch my rod going tap tap tap for the next 5 minutes approx as the peckers ate away, saw it bend over a bit, thought 'great, another mini snapper' and just as i thought that, saw my rod bend RIGHTTT over almost touching the water! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i yelled im on!! and the fight ensued. i got the rod out of the holder, pulled it up, wound as i dropped it, only to have the line start peeling off and i had to hold on with both hands!!! it squashed my nads to no end so i repositioned it, barked orders to my mate to get his line out of the water etc (sorry! ahha) and then continued the fight, upping the drag cause i knew i had plenty to play with (60lb mainline) and i thought he was going to reef me the way he was going!!

finally after a couple of minutes, i was playing the old pump and wind game, him getting some line, me getting it back, when i didnt know how far away he was, and then all of a sudden he appeared.... got colour for the first time, and i didnt have a net so had to just pull him up and into the boat in one smoooooth motion, measured him up and he went 67cm!!! i was shaking as i was trying to measure him!!! haha, and as i was measuring him what do we hear...... beepp beep.... beeppp beep..... its my alarm!!!!!!!!!! buahahahaha perfect timing, after the high 5's and cheers and yelling and more high 5's, we gave a guy who was downrigging near us the rest of the squid which was only a squid head, and we headed home with a kingy under my belt and a smile on my dial!!!!!!!!

definately an amazing experience, and now my mate is hungry as anything for one too!!! he's already planned this sundays fishing trip haha. here is the pic, the look on my face says it all i think!!!!

ohyeamt9.jpg

p.s. we cooked it up last night with a bit of soy and some garlic, absolutely awesome!!!!!!! (this coming from someone who doesnt particularly like eating fish too!!!!)

p.p.s. that is the squid ink on my face, i put it on as good luck when i was cutting up the squid!@ and he weighed in at 2.4kg, with little whitebait in his tummy

Edited by sebastian

Nice catch mate, its great to see and hear of a first catch.

The kids were let down though as they thought that was Kingy Blood across your face from your first catch !

Its kind of a tradition on our boat :biggrin2:

Well done :thumbup:

Cheers,

Stumpy

Thanks guys, yea it was unbelievable the fight!! I saw my mate on one (who is smaller than me) a couple of months ago and he almost fell in the drink, now i can see why!

yea i would have put the head down, but it was time to go home and i was already well and truly late!!

stumpy, i actually thought about blooding my shirt after i caught it, but was WAY too excited and completely forgot! hahaha

will be heading out again, this sunday most likely...! haha.

i do wonder though, when it was slow as anything, how long do u normally hang around at a spot until you move on?? im thinking about 20 mins?? the boat can get some pace to it, so going from manly round to say clifton isnt too much of an issue, so im more wondering what a typical day would be like for you more experienced kingfish anglers?

Edited by sebastian

Nice one !!

I thought first kingies deserved a few smudges of blood across the face though. =)

I can't remember if it was Stumpy or Penquin that tagged their little one at the social....

Dan

Hey there Seb, (Dave here, Brent's mate)

You did it mate well done, and nice pic :thumbup: Brent and I were out again on the same day but got nothing.

It'sa great experience that first one, very addictive. It's all my poor freinds and family ever hear about from me these days :biggrin2: Can't wait to get out there again.

Any chance you can PM me on that exact location??