First Kingfish Session In The Bay.

sydfisher

Gidday to all.I went out to the bay today for my first kingfish session around 2 30pm out the front or eastern side of Molineaux point.Plenty of activity on the sounder in the form of baitfish starting from just 5ft under the boat.Turned out to be yakkas.Concentrated around the marked 140 on the rockwall,around 40ft out,and dropped anchor.I had previously bought some green eyed squid from the tackle shop.Gees im already gettin lazy with the squid.Damn expensive though.Wasnt expecting too much.Being late in the day and frozen squid. Put a head on the baitrunner and a strip on the overhead in about 35ft of water,tide was half run out.Dropped em straight out the back,put em in the holders,and sat back.About 20 minutes later the baitrunner with the head on starts to buckle.I wish somebody told me that kingfish and a bad back dont go together.Total mayhem,grabbed the rod started fighting on what i thought was a tight drag.PING,cut right above the hook.Rebaited with another head,around half an hour later the head goes off again.Grab the rod but this time i knuckled down on the drag beforehand.Fought like mad.Was thinking,when is this gonna bloody stop.But i was in fishing heaven at the time. :1fishing1: Heres some pics.Went 68cm and fat.Stomach was empty.That was FUN.

post-5454-1205408822_thumb.jpg

post-5454-1205408890_thumb.jpg

post-5454-1205408930_thumb.jpg

Gidday Flightmanager.Youre not wrong.Ya reckon those rod holders that you strap around your waist would help? Thanks.

Hi sydfisher. Nice to see you get among the Botany Bay kingfish. :thumbup:

Seeing it's your first kingfish in the Bay this advice might be helpfull. It would certainly pay you to go back and have another go in the same location at Molineaux, same tide, same wind direction, either in the afternoon or at sun up during the same part of the run out till you find what works best. Or you could start off earlier to cover any early movement of the baitfish in the run out which is what schooled up kingfish wait for. Keep persevering at angles to the point then hopefully you'll have your own secret spot to fish in similiar conditions. You should remember that a wind change to the opposite direction has the opposite effect as to which side the bait fish prefer to be to make holding up there easier. A wind change would govern where the kingfish would be more prolific IE around the markers, over the other side of the bay or under the cliffs etc

As to a rod holder belt for a bad back, here is a pic of the one of the rod holder belts I use, it has a built in well designed, sturdy and comfortable back support.

It's he best for the purpose and very handy to have for double hook ups. The rod holders are top quality and your stomach does the hard work while the back section supports your back very well.

If you have problems with your back playing kingfish etc I may able to find out where you can get one of these.

post-829-1205464774_thumb.jpg

post-829-1205465487_thumb.jpg

Hope some of this information helps you.

Cheers mate.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Gidday anglers,and thanks for the support.Great tips on the point jewgaffer.Ill definately take that info onboard for next time out.Just gotta get over the bloody lower back and left shoulder.That setup there looks comfortable.How much would you be looking at for one of them? And i dont get the double holder setup.Ill see how i go next time i get some action jewgaffer and see how i hold up.From Georges river bream fishing, straight to runaway freight train Kingies. If i could only remember to bend me bloody knees next time, not be on me knees.Lol.Will be out in the bay again shortly,and will let you guys know.I just put in a live bait tank.Are there any reliable squid spots in the bay? Ive got every type of jig but havent used em.I paid $35 for 5 large Hawksbury river green eyed squid. But id rather jig some up.Or would it be better to just use yakkas? Thanks.

Great tips on the point jewgaffer.......Just gotta get over the bloody lower back and left shoulder.... (1) That setup there looks comfortable - (2) i dont get the double holder setup..

(3) Are there any reliable squid spots in the bay? (4) Or would it be better to just use yakkas? Thanks.

Hi sydfisher

(1) It is a very comfortable rod holder belt which has excellent padding in the kidney area and lower back area. It is similiar to a weightlifter's back support.

(2) The unit is called a Wade Aid, and is made in the U.S. I bought it for freshwater and land based fishing before I hurt my back. It is very popular with trout and salmon waders in the States. The unit has three rod holders for net and rod/s which gives you hands free hiking wading and fishing in general. There are pockets and sleeves at the front for gear changes etc.

In my opinion they are a must own when fishing wharfs, jettys, ledges etc where there are no rod hoders available. I just sit back in a chair with a filletting board built in to the side of it and fish hands free, using a rod support known as a Tully sling which holds the rods against my shoulders when walking, wading etc.

I also use a chest strap with a quick release buckle to support the rods on wharfs , jettys etc. and I have no problem fishing three rods hands free.

Also the extra rod holders gives you hands on when you have two rods going off at the same time, rather than having to leave the rod with the fish on or the other one going off at the same time in a boat rod holder unattented.

(3) Arrow squid are generally available in close to the first pylon at CC bridge on the south side, in the mid run out period, that lousy in between period when fishing gets quiet. I have found over the years that there is always more squid to be caught on bad nights and in southerlys. This also applies to calamari squid from Dolan's wharf in the Hacking where squid are also available at night and are more active on the last few hours of the run out in normal weather as well.

(4) You could make CC bridge your starting point. You can catch a good supply of yellowtail at the old jetty on the north western side close to the bridge near the little park at the bottom of the little side road off Rocky Point road. Also there is always a good supply of tailor around the pylons and best tide is before and after the top of the tide for the tailor or you should catch a few at other times when your anchored close to the pylons when fishing for your bream and to add to your bait supply to give you a good assortment of bait for the Bay. By the way to get nippers pump at low tide on the sand flats just up from the boat ramp under the bridge on the south side of Tom Uglys, adjacent to the next little street downriver very close to the boat ramp.

As I mentioned before the wind direction determines the baitfish location and this attracts the kingfish etc.

But quite often you get a nice surprise when there are no baitfish whatsoever except of course your own loaded liveys.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Oh just one more thing the currents outside are still very good and some very big kingfish have been caught in the fathoms lately and, with the number of deep sea fish being caught in estuaries at the moment mac tuna, cobia etc , places like Botany Bay etc might produce larger kingfish specimums very soon if conditions hold up as they are now.

Edited by jewgaffer

Gidday,ive recovered physically,and am ready for round 2 with the kings.Im bloody geed up,with all you blokes spurrin me on.Jewgaffer,that is one hell of a setup.Id love to see it in action.Talk about being self sufficent and convenient.Thanks for the tips on the arrows and yakkas.Ill be into the livies on Thursday.I think theres a southerly forecast for the same day.Gotta be in it,to win it.I bought a couple of Scotty 1050 downriggers a while ago.Pretty keen to get the live bait catching going to give a downrigger a decent go.I plan on downrigging Molineaux,the drums,markers and wherever else i can find em.If conditions allow.Im just learning as i go,and have picked up heaps of tips from the raiders through reading.Definately a friendly lot.Will keep you blokes posted.