Broken Bay Invitational

holmes

HI Boutime....

Iv got some results from saturday. Alot of marlin tagged & some weighed...Afew big tiger sharks weighed. Most of the marlin were caught up at Norah Head canyons,with the afternoon being the prime time. Most fish fell for both lures & live bait.

BOAT: Head Hunter LMGFC 382kg Tiger Shark on 15kg

Baja NPSGFC 389kg Tiger Shark on 15kg

Nakia BBGFC 105kg Mako Shark on 15kg

Thats just a couple that I can remember. There was also a Black Marlin 103kg on 10kg taken on a 35 Bertram but I cant remember the name. Broken Bay GFC boat Allurha had a great day tagging six Marlin.

Alot of boats seen some action,with alot of single and double tagg flags flying. The tournament seems pretty tight. I hope to know who the winners are soon and I will post asap.

Alurah ended up winning it. Can't remember if they ended up with 8 or 9? In A Meeting came second I think.

Top weekend, the weather was amazing and the fishing pretty good too. Highlight for me was a double hook up on stripes, both on switch baits last thing sun arvo.

Edited by Dezmo

hi guys aluhra took out tnr with 8 fish for the weekend followed by in a meeting on 6 fish(they have had a good season)

axeman hooked up to a tiger just after stop fishing unfortunately. they got it to the boat and couldnt get it into the boat. took them 6 hours to tow the thing back to broken bay.

it weighed 559kg :1yikes:

i was supposed to fish on true blue but unfortunately have done a ligament in my shoulder so i was out.

they had a pretty quiet tourney raising 4 fish and unfortunately didnt pin any.

thats gamefishing

Col

Hi all

Well we headed to Port Stephens on Friday night and slept on board overnight and woke up at 4.30am and headed out and south to the central zone fishing area and put the lures in at 7am.

Headed south and run some small lures because it was only myself and the skipper of the boat fishing everyone that said that they wanted to fish pulled out :1badmood: .

Anyway we thought we would give it a go.

We trolled till about 10am with not raising a fish so we headed out to the northern norah canyons, changed the lures to large ones and tried for a blue marlin. As soon as we hit the shelf bang off goes the shot gun and the then their was an all might bang as the band on the shotgun rigger didn't break and the band broke the line as the marlin is jumping all over the ocean with a lure in it gob :ranting2: .

So i re rigged the rod and reset the lures and went back to the fly bridge and started working the area after about 20 or 30min the rigger goes off and the line is peeling of the tiagra 50wlrs at a rate of knots the skipper comes down and clears the other rods and we get into the fight the marlin is going nuts and screams across the ocean just tearing up the water, so we put the boat into reverse and backed down on him hard, we worked him up to the side of boat a few times only to have him dive under the boat and skipper had to run back the bridge to get away from him so we didn't run over him and i lost all the line again :ranting2: .

This goes on for ever we plan him up and back down then he takes another dive deep and just keeps going and going hard, this happend about 3 times, by then we knew that we couldn't get the fish with just 2 people me and skipper so we put in a call for any boat near by to come and help us but we where just to far out when we looked we where out over the 500fathom mark and still going, then out of no where we see a boat heading full steam towards us and we looked and seen the Broken Bay boat Murifin heading full steam towards us only about 500m away from us then after about 1 3/4 hours the fish goes on one big run down deep and then i lost all pressure on him and he was gone :ranting2::( .

When we had him along side once he was big and we mean big. We where both gutted and by now we so far out that we just put the lures back into the water and started heading back in.

About 40min later i was up on bridge and i see in the wake marlin just cruising in the waves, i told the skipper to run down to the rod and he dropped the drag and the lure went right back into him mouth and then locked up and we where on, so i rushed down and picked up the rod and we started chasing him this time we backed down so hard that the back deck on the 30ft DeepV was up to my knees with water and he just kept going and going the line was just peeling off the reel after about 20min again the lure just popped down deep and we lost him :ranting2: .

I guess it just wasn't our day.

We headed for broken bay some 45nm away.

That is day 1 i will report on a better day 2 soon.

cheers

craig

Day 2 Report.

Well we headed out of broken bay at 5am and headed back to norha canons where we where yesterday but a bit further south with the warm water moved over night.

This time with 5 people on board this would be much better.

We gunned it out the shelf and set the lures into the water and worked our way north, as we hit the canons i started marking fish so i turned the boat and went down seas and we marked another fish and then up comes the fish and he tries to take left rigger but drops it and then goes to the shot gun and bang he is on.

A nice short fight and up comes a great striped marlin of about 75kg i put the tag in and we let him go, so i go back onto the bridge and turn the boat and head towards the same spot the guys where still putting the gear back into the water when we marked another fish and up it came this time it tried and tried to take the Joe Yee 505 but he couldnt get it into his mouth so we switched him to another lure and bang we where on again, about another 20 min later another stripped marlin about 75kg is swimming away with a tag in him. :thumbup:

We reset the gear and start working the area again then up comes another fish and hits the shot gun and hits it so hard that the rigger bends and just wont release and bang the line snaps again :ranting2: .

So now we reset again and start heading a bit more south to try and find that big Blue that we where after, about 20 min later i am looking out the back at the gear when up comes this big dark shape on the shot gun and bang just nails it and where on, after kicking the skipper in the butt we get him on the rod and strap him in, we start chasing him this fish like mine just didnt want to stop and was down deep all the time he came up a few more time and jumped "am waiting for the pictures", then after about 1 1/2 hrs Adam takes a wrap on the leader and i put the tag in and then we look at him and see he might go 130 to 140kg and we might be in with a chance of biggest fish, so we pulled him on board and then headed the 43nm back in to broken bay only just to make it in by 5.25pm with 5min to spare before cut off.

He pulled the scales down to 130.5kg a little bit smaller than we first thought but a good fish anyway.

We didnt win prize it went to another fish 100kg on 10 so the point just didnt get up home with us on 24kg.

A great tournament with us picking another 20000 points towards tag and release for the club and about 9000 points to ad to our other capture points for the year and keep us above the shark boys with only a few more points score to go we are looking the goods so far, also we have the largest marlin for central zone 140kg blue that i got early in the year.

cheers

craig

PS i would also like to put a big thanks to the boys on Murifin for pulling up stumps and tearing out to try and help us on the Saturday, it may have cost them maybe a couple of fish but like all fisherman they will go a long way to helping others when we need them. :beersmile: to all on Murifin.

Edited by Polynemus_sheridani

Geez Craig...some highlights and lowlights there for sure.

That big fella would have been nice to see alongside and tagged but not to be.

Can't wait to see the pics of the fish that did cop a tag.

Well done.

Cheers,

Pete.

Craig...

Sure sounds like an eventfull weekend you had.... and coming across some nice fish in the bargain...

the shotgun not releasing cleanly at the band is a bit disconcerning......

any ideas on the reason at all craig.......

is the band twisting on its self back up the tag line and fouling not allowing the band to break?????

as you are probarly aware the final central zone round is out of Sydney in a few weeks

and traditionaly is highlighted by some good blues getting nailed and there will no doubt be some boats

vying in trying to do so......hope you can make it to that one as it's one of the best on the calender...

Cheers Warnie....

Craig...

Sure sounds like an eventfull weekend you had.... and coming across some nice fish in the bargain...

the shotgun not releasing cleanly at the band is a bit disconcerning......

any ideas on the reason at all craig.......

is the band twisting on its self back up the tag line and fouling not allowing the band to break?????

as you are probarly aware the final central zone round is out of Sydney in a few weeks

and traditionaly is highlighted by some good blues getting nailed and there will no doubt be some boats

vying in trying to do so......hope you can make it to that one as it's one of the best on the calender...

Cheers Warnie....

Hey Warnie

We really don't know it might have been a bad batch of rubber bands when one does it then you think oh well but then 2 you go :mad3: so we dumped them and opened a new pack and used them and no problem since then, we hope.

Yep we will be fishing the Sydney GFC tournament and if the weather is good we might go wide and chase blue marlin out around heaton hill and see what we can come up with April is always the best month for big blues we just love them, this year we have caught more blues than any other species they must just love the sound of the boat and marlin magnet we have installed in the boat, plus we are running a heap of new great lures they just love them.

Haven't used baits once this year all our fish have been caught on lures, if we go to heatons we might skip some YFT or Striped Tuna and see how we go.

cheers

Craig

PS i would also like to put a big thanks to the boys on Murifin for pulling up stumps and tearing out to try and help us on the Saturday, it may have cost them maybe a couple of fish but like all fisherman they will go a long way to helping others when we need them. :beersmile: to all on Murifin.

Shame that we didnt get over to you in time. Would have loved to have seen the fish and helped you guys out with the tag pole / curved ended tag pole.

Well done on your weekend, sounds like your braining the blues.

Shame that we didnt get over to you in time. Would have loved to have seen the fish and helped you guys out with the tag pole / curved ended tag pole.

Well done on your weekend, sounds like your braining the blues.

Dezmo

Thanks mate it is a shame you didn't get there but you guys tried hard.

How did you guys end up.

PS did you guys have a party on Sunday night on the boat i was asleep and was woken up lol but didn't take long to go back to sleep after such a busy weekend.

cheers

Craig

Dezmo

Thanks mate it is a shame you didn't get there but you guys tried hard.

How did you guys end up.

PS did you guys have a party on Sunday night on the boat i was asleep and was woken up lol but didn't take long to go back to sleep after such a busy weekend.

cheers

Craig

We ended up tagging 4 for the weekend. We lost a fifth when it chewed through the 250 leader after having on the trace twice and missing a couple of tag shots...

I had to work early monday so opted out of the dinner and whatever else. Am sure the boys would not have had an early one sunday and would be likely culprits for the noise.

We ended up tagging 4 for the weekend. We lost a fifth when it chewed through the 250 leader after having on the trace twice and missing a couple of tag shots...

I had to work early monday so opted out of the dinner and whatever else. Am sure the boys would not have had an early one sunday and would be likely culprits for the noise.

Was that the last fish you lost was that the one when we come over to you guys on the way back in and took the pictures.

Was that the last fish you lost was that the one when we come over to you guys on the way back in and took the pictures.

Yeah that was the one- late sunday arvo. Love to see any photos of it if you have any.

Ben

they must just love the sound of the boat and marlin magnet we have installed in the boat, .

Craig

Hi Craig

Marlin Magnet is that the electronic one.....it sends out a electronic pitch similar to distressed baitfish

is that the one you are refering to ???????? or am i off on a different tangent....

Warnie.....

Hi Craig

Marlin Magnet is that the electronic one.....it sends out a electronic pitch similar to distressed baitfish

is that the one you are refering to ???????? or am i off on a different tangent....

Warnie.....

Hi Warnie

Yep mate that is the one.

Craig

Yeah that was the one- late sunday arvo. Love to see any photos of it if you have any.

Ben

Hi Ben

I will post a few up later on today i am just waiting for the CD with all the pictures to come to me i wasn't taking pictures this weekend Samantha on the boat was take them.

Craig