Longtail At Port Stephens

wise one

Managed my first longtail in NSW waters on Friday.

Perfect end to a quiet week's fishing at Port Stephens.

Fantastic weather, calm seas - very relaxing.

Went circa 15KG (guestimate as I didn't weigh it).

Nice sushi and BBQ steaks!

post-4544-1205713195_thumb.jpg

Very nice fish! Shame about the marlin :(

Does longtail eat well? I've always heard people pooh pooh it for cooked food, but it is meant to be ok raw? I've tried looking on the net for an answer but no one is very specific, and I guess like everything it would be a matter of taste, but if anyone has an opinion to share I would be keen to hear it.

Very nice fish! Shame about the marlin :(

Does longtail eat well? I've always heard people pooh pooh it for cooked food, but it is meant to be ok raw? I've tried looking on the net for an answer but no one is very specific, and I guess like everything it would be a matter of taste, but if anyone has an opinion to share I would be keen to hear it.

We certainly enjoyed the sushi Saturday night and the grilled steaks Sunday night were great too.

With all tuna, the key is "fresh" and either raw or, if cooked, use a high heat and leave it pink/raw in the centre.

The other issues are to make sure it is well bled on capture and to get its temperature down quickly post killing (ie get it into an ice slurry). This is often hard with a large fish and may well lead to the "indifferent" comments from some people.

I've eaten yellowfin and albacore and certainly rate the longtail right up there with yellowfin in the raw and grilled areas. In fact, converse to some I don't particularly rate albacore - I reckon its drier than yellowfin.

Edited by wise one

That is a nice bluefin, well done :yahoo: , did you catch it on a live slimy?

YES - caught the slimy (a nice fat 30cm model) out at Cabbage Tree Island then got the longtail at the Wreck in Salamander Bay.

Edited by wise one

Awesome fish Wise One. Where is the wreck in Salamander? Whenever I read a fishing report from Port Stephens it always mentions that something is getting caught at the wreck, but I have no idea where it is.

Its pretty much in the centre of Salamander Bay.

Its marked on most charts as it has been there for 50 or so years.

You can't really miss it on the sounder as it peaks at 5-6metres and the rest of the bay is flat and 12-13metres.