Yakkas In Mh

bjneville

Hi Raiders,

Just a couple of quick questions:

Most of us know the more reliable spots to catch livies out towards the main harbour - Balmoral Island and baths, Clonnie baths etc. But does anyone know of any reasonably reliable spots above the Spit?

I'm thinking places like Northbridge Baths, Cammeray Marina etc. Has anyone managed to find reliable catches of Yakkas that far up MH? Or do they need to be down near the cleaner ocean water for their livelihood?

Ta guys.

Edited by Qwyjibo

I used to catch yakkas at Bunny Rabbits' marina as a kid some 27 years ago & sell them to fishos launching at Tunks park, lol. i would think they're still there towards the top of the tide. We'd row over to the wreck in Salt Pan ck and get yakkas & slimies at high tide also.

Bunny was cool with it, but his :wife: used to :wife: and :mad3: at us all the time hehe!

Oh and I reckon the big fenced off baths near Sailors Bay marina would be worth a shot, tho I've never tried there.

Jig

Edited by Jigholio

G'day mate.

We used to get livies right in close at the front of Quakers Hat. Good deep water right into the shore.

Yakkas & small slimies are usually there. It's worth throwing out a livie while your getting your bait as well. We've got some nice Jew & Kings from the shore there. Also there are always Kings busting up around the moorings in Quakers Bay itself in April so you may not have to go far to find the fish.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant.

Try the various wharfs etc around the shore line through Seaforth. Yakkas seem to show up at odd times through Meddlie Harbour. We have accidently jagged them on our King baits and had them around the boat when flicking sp's for Flatties. Strange little beast they are! :1prop:

Can someone explain to me the difference between yakkas and slimies?

Are yakkas the little yellowtails? and slimies the bigger makerel ones?

Im new at using live baits so id like to clarify what im using or searching for.

post-4381-1206411319_thumb.jpg

slimy ("the mackerel ones")

post-4381-1206411349_thumb.jpg

yakka ("the little yellowtails")

Cheers

Peter

G'day mate.

We used to get livies right in close at the front of Quakers Hat. Good deep water right into the shore.

Yakkas & small slimies are usually there. It's worth throwing out a livie while your getting your bait as well. We've got some nice Jew & Kings from the shore there. Also there are always Kings busting up around the moorings in Quakers Bay itself in April so you may not have to go far to find the fish.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant.

very true quakers hat is a very good spot for them. although i have tryed for a king/jew there havent got one just 2 eels :1badmood:

good luck mate.

That whole bay area is full of eels, a few huge puffer fish and thousands of 10cm pains in the but ones. Eels must like the 100 years of sewerage overflow, pollution and runoff that exist there and must be sediment they like in the bay. Boats in there used to get a tide mark on them after rain as the sewerage was raw before the tunnel was put in to fix most of the problem. Bet they didn't tell people that on the realestate agents add for multi million dollar properties. Do not fish signs were up years ago along the foreshore.

The wharves over at seaforth get the sun later and seem to hold both yakkas and slimies after a bit of a burley. They are picky sometimes taking jig and at other times you need real patience and bait up with sqid or prawn unlike the Balmoral ones that seem always hungry, never shy and eager to swallow.

Edited by pelican