Narra Lake Psycho-bream

yakfishing

Gday all. Had a sesh in the yak today doing my usual drift around pipeclay pt. 1st cast was soon taken by a good narra bream - 31cm. Put up a great fight and left me shaking (its been a while!). I was real happy with that effort untill another jumps on and spits the hook followed by another and another and on this went. Managed some smaller ones between all the misses even having one getting airborne, they all seemed very hyperactive (psycho). Nearing the end of my bait supplies I finally get another 31cm bream but all up I lost many fish including at least 3 very decent ones. This was extremely frustrating as Im sure you can imagine, and I cant for the life of me work out what I was doing wrong. My hooks were sharp, I always check. My rods were in holders but I would strike as I pulled them out, some fish would stay on for a bit others would get off in a second. My only theory is that it was because they were so crazy today. Has anyone else had this happen??

Anyhoo heres my effort

post-4457-1206339290_thumb.jpg

Ooooh nice bream there. Shame about the missed ones.

I have no idea what is causing the dropped fish.... must be the full moon effect making them psycho. :wacko:

Good effort in any case..You've gotta be happy with those three.

Cheers,

Pete.

I am not sure what type of rod you have but i used to have a medium taper rod and switched to a slow taper rod and i now rarely miss a fish. The rods are by no means sloppy but the rods load up on their own and more often than not it is a solid hookup. I think when the bream feel the tips of a stffer rod they dont continue with their feed. I never feed line to fish and always fish in gear. Peeling the prawns sometimes makes them feed more freely as well.

I am not sure what type of rod you have but i used to have a medium taper rod and switched to a slow taper rod and i now rarely miss a fish. The rods are by no means sloppy but the rods load up on their own and more often than not it is a solid hookup. I think when the bream feel the tips of a stffer rod they dont continue with their feed. I never feed line to fish and always fish in gear. Peeling the prawns sometimes makes them feed more freely as well.

Gday dpinta,

I did wonder about the rods. I have a Shimano 7ft Bream rod that has a really sensitive tip, and Ive got another Penn 6ft spin rod thats a bit stiffer, but both have done reasonably well in the past - not missing many hookups. Both have caught bream from narra but smaller ones ranging from 25 - 27cm. The Shimano caught the two bigger ones today as you would think it should. The second one I was holding onto the rod and was able to strike as soon as I felt pressure so that may have helped.

I did have quite large prawns on today so maybe they werent getting the hook down their gob as far I'll try heading and peeling them next time.

Whats an example of a slow taper rod?

Cheers guys

Whats an example of a slow taper rod?

Cheers guys

I have used a few fibreglass rods that are slower in taper. (and currently have one for sale :).

It loads up once a fish is biting and really, the fish just hook themselves.

Good for casting heavier weights i.e. rig with sinker because it allows a slingshot effect but not so good for flicking plastics.

I find both types of rods have their own merits. I like the sensitivity of graphite more than the slow taper of the fibreglass.

However for your application .. off the yak .. AND bait fishing (not lures), slow taper as dpinta said, might be your answer.

HOWEVER, if you have been getting into the fish at the lake, off your yak, WITH the current rods, it may just be a once off ?! You never know :tease:

Cheers guys. I posted a topic in tackle talk about what sort of taper my existing rods have, if anyone can tell what they are based on the models please have a squiz.

Stylo - just out of curiosity how much do you want for your rod (not that I have any money to spend :1prop: ) and what exactly is it?