Easter Monday King Session

King slayer

Hey raiders,

Set out in the new tinnie at around 4:30am. It rained on us for what seemed like hours while we chased the squid. Anyway our persistance was rewarded by a fine day to follow and a new bait ground discovered. We only managed a few squid in the end as the usual spots weren't producing that day. Decided to try a new location and very glad we did. Our new bait ground (location undisclosed) seemed to have lots of visible squid around in patches, yakka's every where in the nice jellybean size. We spotted three 80cm plus kings under the boat while squidding!! This is shalow water and of course we didn't think to have a livie out as we drifted :1wallbash: Any way we frantically sent one out but too late, they were gone.

So loaded up on the little yakkas as the sky was clearing to a beautiful day and headed out the favourite spot. My mate Brett (Middle in the pic) got his first kingie (65.5cms) there after a short wait and a few missed strikes on our rods! I tried to paint the war paint on him but slipped and stuck the blood right in his eye! :074: Very funny, but he wasn't all that amused. He he!

Off to a few other spots and nothing much on the new sounder. Tried a spot I've always hearded about and seen heaps of boats but never had much luck. But today was different! anchored up and baits down for a short while and the funniest thing..all the livies started going crazy and dashing in the direction of the near by structure. We all were saying stuff like 'Oh yeah, here we go!' and then shash one of my rods goes off. I started to bring it in and my other one goes off, Brent (Little guy on the end of the pic) puts his in the holder and grabs mine and Brett's goes off, then Brents as well!! Holy crap! So we had four hooked fish and three of us into it. I landed mine and it was a salmon, good little fighter too and it jumped at the end like a true showman. Back he went and the other three lines behind were in a huge tangle. Brent managed to get his kingy in (Vnice at 72cms) and Bretts line had snapped at some point in the tangle. Damn it! But there was still one hook up in the water, beyond the tangle on the end of 20 LB mono and so I grabbed it, using a towel to protect from line cuts I wrestled the beast up to the boat hand over hand. It came in 67cms. Brett was videoing the hand line battle, so i'll try to post a link later.

The rest of the day was quiet at a few other spots and we were happy with that.

Firsts for the day:

Discovered new bait grounds complete with kingie spot.

Brett admits you can catch fish with live yakkas and it is worth getting out of bed before dawn.

Bretts first King and he now knows they do exist.

My first Hand line king (and a few cuts to show for it).

First successful outing in the new boat (of two tries).

Fish count:

King 65.5cms

King 67cms

King 72cms

Salmon about 60cms

A great day had by all. Hope you other raiders did well!

In the pic: Me (Dave), Brett, Brent

post-6713-1206405870_thumb.jpg

Excellent stuff. Yesterday was a lovely day.

Hey, i have a theory about when the livies start crapping themselves - i grab the rod (if its in the holder) and gently lift so that the yakka cavitates and cant swim, then hes a sitting duck for the fish to grab him. Has worked 2 out of 2 times, so 100% success, but far from thoroughly tested ;-)

On sat we fished with rods in the holders and lost 4 baits, one with its head taken clean off, for no hookups. I recon we woulda had a better chance if we had been holding the rods...

Cheers,

Jon

Excellent stuff. Yesterday was a lovely day.

Hey, i have a theory about when the livies start crapping themselves - i grab the rod (if its in the holder) and gently lift so that the yakka cavitates and cant swim, then hes a sitting duck for the fish to grab him. Has worked 2 out of 2 times, so 100% success, but far from thoroughly tested ;-)

On sat we fished with rods in the holders and lost 4 baits, one with its head taken clean off, for no hookups. I recon we woulda had a better chance if we had been holding the rods...

Cheers,

Jon

Yeah we missed a few in the begining, but they were hooked through the back and neck. Once we hooked them all through the nose, no worries! I'll give your method a go next outing for sure. Cheers for that.

nice report dave!! :D :D

hows the new boat go?? congrats on all the firsts for you and the boat, some nice fish there!! did brent almost fall in with the size of his fish?

seb

New boats great. New sounder, floors in, more storage and a live bait tank that works, electrics etc. Small but enough for what we do. Brent always seems to catch more or the biggest fish when we go out, funny since he's always the smallest. :1prop: And we almost all fell in a few times when the action was on, but the new rig kept us stable enough, just!

Sounds like you guys had fun!!!! I cut my fingers the first time i got a king on a handline too!!!! The thing was i was fishing for yakkas, one jumped on then a king grabbed it snapped me off and cut my finger in the process!!! :074:

hey guys I was downrigging next to you when you got the triple hookup! had to laugh at you handlining it in with the towel :D

Yeah I thought I recognised you from a pic a week or two ago. Hope yuou had a good day too. Will say G'day next time I spot you!

Hey top report and love those kings nice to see you have the patience to put up with tangles etc I just wish some of you lucky ones who catch the harbour kings would tell us the hiding spots :biggrin2: I only seem to have luck off the rocks,good work anyways and keep it up on the tinny..