Off To Cairns

Big-Pete

Hi Everyone,

I am off to Cairns in May, first real holiday in about 8 years, so if anyone has any places they have fished or can recommend, I would appreciate any information. I have fished the area about 8 years ago but I guess like anywhere things can change.

I will be going up to the Tablelands and trying my luck on Tinaroo Dam shore based at this stage and off the wharf at Palm Cove. So I am open to suggestions, I like to be prepared before I go.

Thanks In Advance

Big-Pete :1fishing1:

Hi Pete,

We went to Cairns and up to Port Douglas in October last year and i think i'm right in saying that Palm Cove is not very far away from Port Douglas. If so, fish off the southern end of 4 mile beach for anything from Queenies to Whiting. It is not a surf beach but a longer rod for casting would probably help, jellyfish could also be a problem so probably don't think about wading.

Good Luck

Josh

Thanks Josh,

I will mark that spot on my map and give it ago, I tend not to wade up around that area not only for the jelly fish.

The first time I was up at Cairns I went into a spot to check it out for fishing potential and didnt feel comfortable and the next day a german lady went into the same spot and was bitten by a 6 foot freshwater croc.

Big-Pete

Be keen to know you go up there... looking forward to any reports :biggrin2:

Heading up to palm cove in the last week of July this year.. may/may not take my gear with me...

Might just do a charter while i'm up there...

Any info that any one has would be great..

Cheers,

AJ

AJ,

all that way with out any gear,I dont think I could do it. There is a great wharf at Palm Cove. Mind you I have never caught anything from it but still its there. The locals tell me they catch fish offit but its normally the week after I leave or I should have been there the week before.

Thats why I am asking for any advice before I go up this time.

Yes there will be reports when I get back.

Big-Pete

We went on a charter in one of the estuary systems there-have to say it was pretty mediocre, nothing majorly exciting caught, a couple of reasonable jacks and grunters, a small queenie, too many crabs and other bits and pieces. People reckon that there are no crocs near the river mouths and there were people swimming just near the marina when we were up there, the next day we saw a 4m saltwater croc about 100m from the marina at the entrance to a river mouth. Maybe thats what bit you off Mike :1prop: .

Josh

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings

Don't to get your cast net.

There are usually lots of prawns to be caught.

Even at the marina in cairns. I was getting quite a few prawns about 4 a cast, from that marina.

I suggest you buy one at least 10ft wide and with heavy leads.

Dont bother with the ultra expensive ones. As they are far too heavy for multiple casting.

At yorkeys knob, theres quite a few bream.

Best to speak to the local tackle shops.

PS, alot of the fishing charters are hit and miss, especially from port douglas,

Remember they charge southerners extra, so just say that you are from cairns,

regards ilk

ilk fish,

thanks for your advice, I have used a guide twice and didnt catch anything so that is why I am asking about spots to fish. I will have to see how much space I have in my bag on the way home before I buy a cast net.

I might be able to work in with a local and use theirs.

I have started packing but the hardest thing is to limit the amount of gear I am taking, you all know how hard it is to keep the lure count below 100 and thats just the hard bodies. But it's a bit far to return to the house and pick up the extras.

I am really looking forward to the trip, I love it up that way and I dont mind what type of fish I catch as long as I can catch some.

Yorkeys Knob sounds good it is now on my list thank you.

Big-Pete :1fishing1: