Middle Harbour Saturday 29th March, 2008

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

We hit Middle Harbour on Saturday to see if the recent flourish of activity was still on.

Armed with half a dozed XOS Calamari, we proceeded to drop big baits down at the many spots we have caught Kings at only to get utterly smoked on 50lb Braid and 60lb leader. These fish were unstoppable. :wacko:

This happened four times throughout the morning. We went home with nothing except feelings of amazement and disappointment. :(

Anyone else had this experience?

Edited by Ceph

G'day Ceph

I know exactly how you feel mate. I had a very slow day about two weeks ago when i spent about 6 hrs at various spots around the main harbour. At my last spot i got absoultely smashed on a large whole squid with similar set up to yourself. I was fishing 50Lb braid and 50Lb leader - i was in deep water and the fish still got to the bottom with ease against a heavy drag and i got done on the bottom.

I feel your pain :1badmood:

Better luck next time - hopefully this is a run of slightly bigger fish as the water starts to cool down?

Gidday Raiders,

We hit Middle Harbour on Saturday to see if the recent flourish of activity was still on.

Armed with half a dozed XOS Calamari, we proceeded to drop big baits down at the many spots we have caught Kings at only to get utterly smoked on 50lb Braid and 60lb leader. These fish were unstoppable. :wacko:

This happened four times throughout the morning. We went home with nothing except feelings of amazement and disappointment. :(

Good to hear there are some big kings around, i havent fished for a while and am hoping to get out soon..Getting smoke by a hood is better then getting rats in my opinion so i would say you had a good day Ceph

Gidday Raiders,

Hey Ceph check out my post and pics. I had the same problem, if not worse, on 30lb mono.

Hi Ceph friends of mine were telling me they were getting near spooled by unstoppables and busted on twenty pound gear. Might pay to put 50 metres of wind on leader and see what they are. The harbour has been getting an influx of species that have been missing for quite some time. They could be big kingfish, Cobia or even GT Trevally. Just read a post from Ross Hunter saying that the currents were holding around 24 degrees as close as Seal Rocks. Seal Rocks has always been the benchmark for what's likely to happen as to winds and sea conditions, and potential currents south of it.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

G'day Ceph,

Sounds like the bigger fish have moved inside. The bust-ups we were getting regularly in Pittwater were also on 50lb braid with 60 and 80lb leader. The fights don't last long and they sure leave you shaking your head and shaking in your boots.

Cheers, Tony

Hi Ceph,

Yeah mate had the same problem a few weeks ago.

I am upgrading one rig to braid and gonna hit it hard on wednesday morning.

Do you think i should go heavier than 50lb to maybe 80lb?

Mike

Hi Ceph,

Yeah mate had the same problem a few weeks ago.

I am upgrading one rig to braid and gonna hit it hard on wednesday morning.

Do you think i should go heavier than 50lb to maybe 80lb?

Mike

Mike,

The trouble with the really heavy gear is that the strikes become fewer. My heavy gear didn't get touched!!

I got done on 20lb braid and 20lb fluro leader which I float out the back unweighted. The fish had a big run against about 5 kgs of drag.Then I tightened up the 4000 and off she went again. I had that feeling that I was not going to stop the fish and this is exactly what happened. The line was stright dwon on hook up and ended up at 30 degrees from the water surface. The fish was going for a nearby mooring.

My old man got done twice on 60lb!!! My brother got done before he could get the rod out of the holder.

Good fun all the same. Would love to see the size although, reading Kelvin's recent post, they could have been ultra powerful 70's.

I will be back next weekend for round two!! :thumbup:

Edited by Ceph

Wow! Ceph - exciting stuff!! As you say, a fine line between too heavy for hits or bustoffs from the lighter stuff! Same with me & jewies - I get hits & bustoffs on my bream gear with live worms & when I go after jewies on the heavy gear with worms, I catch whiting!!

Bet you'll be out there trying again next weekend!! :) :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Yeah mate, caught a speed boat LB one day!

Wow, that was unstoppable!............Definately a hoodlum! :1yikes:

This thread is a good read Ceph, I didnt know there were that many big buggers in close!

Cheers,

Stumpy :biggrin2: