Rock Fishing Outfit

donjuarez

Hi Folks,

Need to put together an putfit for those days where I feel like a quick fish, and there isn't enough time for taking the boat...

Looking to put together an outfit for fishing for blackies, but also something that would allow me to target Bonito, tailor, and anything else I can throw slugs at from the rocks.

What sort of length? capacity? should I be looking at for the rod?

And what size reel would be best suited?

Cheers,

AJ

Thats not an easy one. A rod that might come close is the 10'6 trophy from live fibre as it will cast 20-50gm slugs very well and has the power to fish 6kg quite hard but also has a fairly soft tip. It may be a little heavy for blackfish though.

hi aj

you will need 2 rods a 4144 low winch mount for blackies and a7144 med or high mount for spinning or tossing pillies

peter :1fishing1:

I will second that it would be very hard and inconvenient using one rod for both 4144 is a good rod for blackies or even a bf5144 if you can find one. I just got a 6156 for rock/ beach fishing but a 6144 or 7144 are all great blanks. Even if you want to use a spinning reel for both I would be looking at 2 rods.

Guys

I have fished rock all my life and for what it's worth I have never found a rod to do both the things you want.

Currently I am using a 5126 for blackfish and 7144 for everything else. If I was going to chase groper than I would need to pull out the 9144.

Reel seat positon depends on what reel you want to use. Alvey are good but line spin is always and issue. You can run two swivells if you want and this helps reduce the problem. I currently use an Alvey blackfish reel but use it as centre pin. The 7144 has a big Okuma threadline or my old favorite Mitchell.

The gropper rod has a 9inch Alvey and the only reel it will ever see.

Cheers and good fishing

Kingpig

Hello luderick59,

why the low,medium,high in different rods,presuming that you are talking about fishing with alveys?

Matt

alveys are not fast retrieve reels or spinning reels [low mount]

threadlines and overhead reels [medium to high mount] are more suited to spinning

Great!

Thanks for all the replies folks!

Just one last question, (pardon my lack of knowledge in this space)

What brand are the rods you're all referencing? i.e 7144 etc...

Want to read up a bit more on them, lengths, materials, line rating specs.. etc...

Much appreciated!

Great!

Thanks for all the replies folks!

Just one last question, (pardon my lack of knowledge in this space)

What brand are the rods you're all referencing? i.e 7144 etc...

Want to read up a bit more on them, lengths, materials, line rating specs.. etc...

Much appreciated!

7144=7wraps of glass 144inchs=12ft will take 8to12kg mono

4144=4wraps of fiberglass 144=12ftwill take 3 to 6 kg mono

butterworth or snyder are the brand

definitely...nitro innovator rods are graphite. daiwa has them in sensor surf. shimano has them as tirelejo (sp?). but i think shimanos are more expensive.

I've been looking the nitro surf light rod solely for lure spinning targetting tailor, salmon and bonito. i reckon ideal for chucking metals and heavy plastics

g loomis has surf rods too

Guys.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Graphite rods are good, and I have a few, but I would not use one as rock rod.

I many cases you are trecking into places long distances and over rough country through bush. When you get there you want to fish trouble free not walk back with your rod in two pieces.

Over many years I have built some very nice rods. However, my rock gear is as basic as thay come. You know they are going to get damaged.

I would stick to the schnider 7144 & 4144 in glass. If you want a bit more punch in the tip of the 4144 you could get a bent tip version if it still available. My blackfish rod is a Butterworth MTE5126G and is the best blackfish stick I have ever owned.

Cheers and tight lines

Kingpig

Get a 2 piece graphite rod to start with and you wont get snagged up in trees etc....and if you trip and break a 2 piece getting to a rock fishing spot, you probably should think twice about fishing off the rocks. :tease: and the lighter rods make it more comfy if you have to do more climbing and bouldering.

Guys.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Graphite rods are good, and I have a few, but I would not use one as rock rod.

I many cases you are trecking into places long distances and over rough country through bush. When you get there you want to fish trouble free not walk back with your rod in two pieces.

Over many years I have built some very nice rods. However, my rock gear is as basic as thay come. You know they are going to get damaged.

I would stick to the schnider 7144 & 4144 in glass. If you want a bit more punch in the tip of the 4144 you could get a bent tip version if it still available. My blackfish rod is a Butterworth MTE5126G and is the best blackfish stick I have ever owned.

Cheers and tight lines

Kingpig

Can't help but say Dads old Sportex is the best blackfish rod i've used and i have used every thing from butterworth to snyder in glass and mag graph, but a modern blackie rod that can't go wrong is kilwells 1365 (5 wraps of glass 13 feet long forwhen you need to keep back from the edge and keep a fish out)

For a multi purpose spin stick the FSU range is gold from snyder.

• 3 weeks later...

For the record, I've ended up with 2 rods...

A 10'6" Low mount Alvey Light Surf Rod/Reel combo

and a 12' Heartland :biggrin2:

Gave the Heartland a quick session last night at Narrabeen near the entrance to the lake...

managed a sand crab, tangled and baitless hooks... there must have been hundreds of the bastards about! :ranting2:

Dont be shy of putting an overhead or thredline on your low mount either. I use an MT7144 for rock and beach work usually with a thredline as I find the lower position is more friendly on the arms although you do have to get used to holding the line with your left fingers when casting. A benefit is that your right arm (for right handed people anyway) will be a bit stronger to give you bigger casts.