When's The Best Time To Purchase A Boat?

finaddict

Hey Raiders,

I am only new to boating and am thinking of purchasing my first boat. I just wanted your feedback on when is the best time to get a good deal on a boat?

The models I have been looking at are the Stacer 420/445 seahawk/seaway and also the quintrex estuary anglers 420/430.

Now I only have limited funds and have heard that boats are a lot cheaper during winter? Just wanted to know if this is true or myth and is it worth waiting? Also are there even a lot of boats for sale in winter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks guys,

Well you should get it whenever you feel like it. The best deal you'll get though would probably be at the boat show. That is not until about August so its up to you whether you can wait that long.

Boats do get sold more over winter months at lower prices

in my opinion.but you just need to keep a eye out

due to boats not being used people want them gone as they may have not used them over the summer months

all that often.

also dealer may have stock they want to move for the new models due to arrive later on in the year.

If you are new to boating go with a reputable dealer not one going broke as you may well need his support with warranty and so on.

Don't be in a rush - go to on water days to help make the right selection.

Yes there are some closing down sales where boats pop up as good value but you must also look at the downside and make sure warranty etc is still good from the manufacturer.

Some brands hold there value very well as they are well known and they run some advertising to keep their brand in the public view. They are not necessarily the best boat but do retain resale value.

Most of the deals at boatshows , unless a specific manufacturer sponsored casback style promotion, can be got just by negotiating hard any time of year - you just have to push hard and make them aware you are ready to buy.

Second hand from a dealer may seem more expensive than out of the paper but being new you may appreciate the security of knowing you haven't bought a stolen boat or a motor that has been doctored. The accessories you see on second hand boats often don't reflect the price and time of labor it took to fit them so often a complete 2nd hand package may offer better value. A new sounder or one 12 months old - does it really matter to you? Just make sure they are good quality , well installed and maintained. If going secondhand without warranty spend the $ on getting motor fully checked and hull inspected if you don't know what you are doing as there are plenty of shark dealers and private sellers if they see a bunny coming in the door. Get someone knowledgeable to do an on water test with you.

With interest rates going up there is already an increase in re-possessions and forced sales by owners so it worth keeping an eye out as many people have too much debt so the toys have to go. This will only get worse over this Winter as ther is further rate rise pain coming and since summer didn't have brilliant weather there is a lot of disheartened boat owners about I suspect. This means dealers may have good cheap second hand stock.

Being new to boating you must also get a grasp on all the extra costs like insurance , maintainance , safety gear, accessories that make launch easier so don't end up short of cash and not having enough to actually run your boat so you can enjoy it.

Motors are a very large part of the price in smaller boats so make sure you are buying a rig that is not underpowered from the start and has honest hours and maintainance. The newer larger motors have computers to download this.

Crap trailers are a nightmare , to tow to launch and to maintain so make sure you get a good one.

Whatever you buy spend some time around the boat yards and ask lots of questions and post a a few more on here as someone will have owned one and know the issues and in what conditions in the real world it was capable.

Good luck and if you go down the of a dealer closing down or old stock don't pay a premium as you can probably go to a good dealer and get the package if you haggle better.

You could try renting a boat now nad then to see if you could justrify the leap to owning one.

Last one is be realistic about how often you will use it and how often there will be more than just you on it so you enjoy it and it isn't a burden.

pel

Edited by pelican

Ohh I thought this was a joke like 'what time is it when an elephant sits on your fence...'

The right time to buy a boat is when you find what you want at price you are happy to pay.

Ps: by the way the answer to the joke is 'time to get a new fence'

Edited by gone_wishin

hi mate send huey ( craig ) a pm and ask him about the sort of boat you are after ( Stacer 420/445 seahawk/seaway ) and tell him what you like it to be like ( eg unpainted, painted, extra gunwhales etc) and he give the best price going .. and he alway goes out of his way to help out other flellow raiders.. :thumbup:

Hey Raiders,

I am only new to boating and am thinking of purchasing my first boat. I just wanted your feedback on when is the best time to get a good deal on a boat?

The models I have been looking at are the Stacer 420/445 seahawk/seaway and also the quintrex estuary anglers 420/430.

Now I only have limited funds and have heard that boats are a lot cheaper during winter? Just wanted to know if this is true or myth and is it worth waiting? Also are there even a lot of boats for sale in winter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks guys,

I too was on a budget and looking at the 420 Seaway but went for the 440 Seaway which was only $1,000 extra. It was the best decision I have ever made, as the boat is heaps bigger with higher sides etc. They were both a couple of grand cheaper than the equivalent Quintrex.

Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it,

At the moment I think I am going to see what's around and hopefully wait for the right person to sell there boat at the right price. =]~

im in the same situation atm. Got around 10k to spend on an ally boat. Plenty out there to choose from......

Try the usual places auction sites,trader eg boatpo1nt, tradingpost etc. If buying used get someone that knows boats to check it over before buying

im in the same situation atm. Got around 10k to spend on an ally boat. Plenty out there to choose from......

Try the usual places auction sites,trader eg boatpo1nt, tradingpost etc. If buying used get someone that knows boats to check it over before buying

:thumbup: what sort of boat here is a great centre console for 8 grand http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...cTODAY.m238.lVI