Fishing Ban At Balmoral Beach

pelican

Mosman daily has an article about fishing ban signs going up at Balmoral. Article then went on to say both side of a story but didn't conclude what exactly was going on.

Anyone else read or know about this?

That'd be bloody right. :mad3: All the good spots I used to fish as a kid around Manly now are out of bounds for fishing. Makes me so mad.. :1badmood: I'm not at all suprised about this, especially Mosman. i bet a bunch of spoilt mosmanites complained about the 'stinky fishermen' and now everyone will suffer.

Can you tell I'm a little bittter?

Looks like Mosman Council IS looking at a fishing ban at both Balmoral and Edwards Beaches.

They site the dangers to swimmers from lost fishing tackle.

If you are a resident, you can submit an objection to the proposal.

Here is the web page with the link to the objection form. You only have until April 14 for objections to be lodged.

http://www.mosman.nsw.gov.au/council/consu...ing-prohibition

Good luck.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi guys

Given the number of people that fish in Australia & the number of complaints about getting injured by 'lost' tackle ..... there is obviously a hidden agenda here - some rich dude putting the hard word on the Council. What a load of twaddle! More people would be injured from broken beer bottles & druggies needles than fishing gear!

As a non-resident, I have submitted my 'two bits' - suggested that the council put the closure to a vote at the next election. This way they'd get a realistic opinion on the idea of closing the beaches.

Also Have a 'swimming only area' put aside where fishing is not permitted.

WHere do they tell you of the scope of the closure? Personally, I reckon it would encourage mass civil disobedience!

I have searched the Mosman Council Meetings Minutes & the only mention of the Fishing Ban was on March 18 when Councillor Menzies asked for the Fishing Ban signs to be removed from the beach as it was still in Consultation Process, not official!! It had never been raised as an issue previously! Talk about Undemocratic! Where is the Doctor's Report & photographic proof that such injuries have actually occurred?? I bet they haven't.

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

I asked if the jetty off the pool was included - haven't been advised yet ..... also asked for proof of injury by way of Doctor's reports and phtotographs .... time will tell!!

Roberta

I asked if the jetty off the pool was included - haven't been advised yet ..... also asked for proof of injury by way of Doctor's reports and phtotographs .... time will tell!!

Roberta

WHats Next? Clifton Gardens???

once the precedent has been set....

:thumbdown:

Looks like Mosman Council IS looking at a fishing ban at both Balmoral and Edwards Beaches.

They site the dangers to swimmers from lost fishing tackle.

If you are a resident, you can submit an objection to the proposal.

Here is the web page with the link to the objection form. You only have until April 14 for objections to be lodged.

http://www.mosman.nsw.gov.au/council/consu...ing-prohibition

Good luck.

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete I might be wrong but anyone can submit not just residents. Anyone can object to any building in any council area. Residents things are just for consultation. I couldn't pull the article in the Daily up on the web but someone might be able to.

Not sure if this is the full article as I remember reading part of a council response:

http://www.mosmandaily.com.au/article/2008...76_pf_news.html

Beach ban 'stuff-up'

PAUL TATNELL

26Mar08

FISHERMEN at Balmoral Beach have been left stunned after learning that Mosman Council has banned their sport at the popular spot.

In what was described by Cr Simon Menzies as a "massive stuff-up", council staff erected signs informing locals of the ban despite having no permission or resolution from the council do so.

The move followed a question without notice from Cr Martin Skipper to seek community consultation on whether fishing at Balmoral Beach should be banned.

Cr Skipper said he wanted the ban to protect fish stocks and swimmers.

But local fisherman Roy Bendall told the Daily the proposed ban "is un-Australian".

"The proposed fishing ban was originally proposed by Cr Skipper in order to 'protect shallow-water sand-feeding fish' and swimmers from the dangers of tackle," he said.

"I took the opportunity to contact NSW Fisheries, and they were not aware of any such fish in need of protection by Mosman Council."

Cr Menzies said he "had never heard of anyone ever having a problem with fishermen at Balmoral".

Mr Bendall said anyone who fished at Balmoral always did so responsibly.

"As a responsible fisherman, the last place you want to be fishing is anywhere near swimmers, as they tend to scare the fish away," he said. "In fact the best time to go fishing at Balmoral is at dusk when there are generally no swimmers about.

"It is not as if there are fishermen casting lines during nippers or the swimming races held in the mornings.

"The proposed ban is having the effect of pitting one group of locals against the other, when we have coexisted for years without incidents. It is un-Australian and an exercise in divisive politics."

Mr Bendall said fishing at Balmoral was an important part of his family's history.

"My grandfather taught me to fish on Balmoral Beach and in a few years' time I would like the opportunity to teach my son, in the same responsible manner," he said.

"If the council is serious about the environment why propose a ban that increases our carbon footprint, as responsible fishermen are forced on to gas-guzzling motorboats or forced to drive to other areas?"

Cr Menzies said that the ban "seems to be very unpopular".

"Staff have implemented these changes without council having a debate or a vote in a complete oversight ... and I am not impressed with it at all," he said.

Cr Menzies said the council would uncover who was responsible for the mix-up.

Signs advertising the ban have now been covered up.

Mr Bendall urged residents to lodge objections over the ban to council by April 14.

Cr Skipper could not be contacted before the Daily's deadline

Edited by pelican

I'm not sure that the council actually has the authority to ban fishing from the beach anyway. NSW Fisheries has this power, but under my very basic understanding of law, the council can only ban fishing off structures (i.e. jetties etc.).

Have asked them the question anyway...seems like they havent thought it through properly!

WHats Next? Clifton Gardens???

once the precedent has been set....

:thumbdown:

won't surprise me, wouldn't be surprised if other popular spots like Pier 2, Bradleys Head and Balls Head will soon be banned. I've heard murmurs in the past,of popular fishing spots becoming off limits to fishos

The way that a few fishos act with leaving mess all around the place e.g with leaving bait bags, fishing line all over the place and some of the anti social behaviour of some fishos it'll only be a matter of time till fishing will be banned from a lot of land based locations unless this behaviour changes

The key point is that at the end of the day lets keep our land based locations tidy and act in a responsible manner.

I'm not sure that the council actually has the authority to ban fishing from the beach anyway. NSW Fisheries has this power, but under my very basic understanding of law, the council can only ban fishing off structures (i.e. jetties etc.).

Have asked them the question anyway...seems like they havent thought it through properly!

Council has control of the water above the high water mark and can ban any activity on or from it's land.

The issue of fines by Rangers on wharves not owned by them is a whole other issue which one day will be tested in court. Councils keep telling Maritime that it is not there wharf one day and the next day the council rangers are issueing tickets?? Hmmm interesting. Now if Maritime of Sydney ferries were to issue them that would stick. Bloody mess of who controls and owns wharves in Sydney and who has the authority to put up signs about fishing.

RTA did the ones on the spit and the police enforce those I think?

Don't know how you would go wading below the official high water mark?

NSW Maritime control waterway, structures like wharves approval, and Sydney foreshore Authority cotrol development on foreshore.

Fisheries control what is in the water. Those finned things that keep refusing perfectly good baits and swimming by laugh at the joker with a rod in his hjand- ha ha

Pel

Edit - added wharf ownership[ note

Edited by pelican

Typical ill considered crap by a local council.

I deal with councils everyday as part of my job and my parents live in Mosman.

I will advise them as residents to have their say in favour of fishing.

My dad swims everyday at Balmoral and he tells me people fishing there is good and they are friendly.

Sometimes he even gets me a fish report and water quality etc. He gets the intel from fisherman.

The council should be more concerned with the stormwater problem in Pearl Bay and Balmoral.

On Sunday a syringe floated by with assorted other rubbish - disgusting!!!

People power is required so send em an email - i just did.

Cheers

Edited by zenman

Pleasure and Hire Yakers need a lesson in "keeping your distance". We had one get tangled around our anchor rope a while ago... :074: we were laughing and said Kyakker got most upset.

One of them also has a squid jig wrapped around his rudder.. he didn't even turn around to apologise. It was a Yo Zuri too!!

Such is life.

Edited by Ceph

Swimmers, kayakers and fishos ... hard bunch to co-exist in the one location ...

Kayakers (pleasure, not hobie sport varieties) don't mix with fishing lines and anchors (and yo-zuris). Swimmers don't mix with tuna oil and burley.

I think there is a time and place for each activity .. I think it's unreasonable to be fishing while there are hundreds of swimmers nearby i.e. mid-day in summer.

Fishing at dawn and perhaps at dusk or night would be the common sense approach. Fishos are a hated bunch in some places due to the fact that some leave a mess of bait, hooks, newspapers, plastic bags and cut lines around when they leave.

I try to be as invisible to other groups of people using the same facilities where I am fishing.

I really do hope that the council does not ban fishing there and those other mentioned spots. Unfortunately someone (or a lot of people) has/have complained and council is looking into it. :thumbdown:

Interesting that the Council has no control over the swimmers as they are on the water and due to them making a complaint fishermen are being stopped. Well maybe the fishermen should have complained first and had swimming access banned at Balmoral. hmm like to see the Ranger enforce that one.

Be nice if the Rangers were just allowed to use common sense and advise those doing the wrong thing to cease but I sense that some High powered locals might just out legal the local council ranger. Both swimmers and fishermen can be pretyy arrogant about their hobby.

The fishing party or whatever they are called and other interested groups should be watching for these style of things and lodge a submission to stop all areas becoming less accessable.

Perhaps Fishraider should write a submision?? on behalf of members.

Pel

Disclosure- I Kayak there , I boat there , I have swum there and I want to fish from shore there in the future if I want to.

PS For those that have had trouble with rental kayaks just email a quick note to Maritime as they issue the Lic to the providers and they should be informing the people renting to keep well clear of other craft on the harbour. I think all rental craft must have a identifyable number on them so they can work out which rental fleet it belongs to. Som ekayakers belong to a sort of club where the kayaks are pooled so not all with be so easy to identify.

Greetings Fishraiders

As a nurse, every day I see lots of people come in with serious illness arising from stress.

Life is getting expensive for many families.

A simple trip to the national park now costs quite a few dollars.

It all adds up.

Fishing is getting harder. The common people have less and less.

All these restrictions imposed on them from the selfish few have a real toll.

I am sure the common people pay council rates as well.

Yet they get little in return, as their budget recreation is snubbed.

Where is the decency and common sense.

ilk.

Hi guys

Got an answer to my email about the proposed Fishing Ban ....

Thank you for your submission .... blurb, blurb, blurb ... there will be a further report to Council on 6 May 2008.

It is noted that your concern relates to fishing from the small wharf near the baths at the southern end of Balmoral and if that is the case, I advise that the proposal is to ban fishing from the beach, ie sand only, not from the rocks or the wharf.

In regards to injuries, I advise that Council does not have on record any reports of injuries being sustained from fishing at Balmoral other than people treading on fish hooks on the wharf.

If you have any further queries about this matter, please contact Council's Director Corporate Servies, Max Glyde on xxxxxxx

Ha! What a joke. Supercilious prats! I should ask for copies of the complaints confirming injuries from treading on the hooks on the wharf! Bet they haven't got any of them, either!

Cheerio

Roberta

Roberta is it just me or does that letter make-a-no-sense?

They say they are banning fishing from the beach because they're worried about people hurting themselves on fish hooks...

Then they say that fishing from the wharf is still allowed, despite then admitting straight after that the only reports of anyone hurting themselves is from people standing on fish hooks on the wharf, not the beach....

HUH?

Freakin' idiots in council everywhere, the North Shore of Sydney, it seems, is an apparent hot-spot for these clowns.

:mad3:

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tony Soprano

G'day Tony

....Does that letter make-a-no-sense?......

My thoughts precisely!!

...... .Then they say that fishing from the wharf is still allowed, despite then admitting straight after that the only reports of anyone hurting themselves is from people standing on fish hooks on the wharf, not the beach.... WHERE THERE HAVE BEEN NO SUPPOSED INJURIES REPORTED!!!

In that case, we'd better not get into our cars in case we have an accident!!! Just as dumb a thing to say!

And we are paying their wages!! :(

Cheers

Roberta