Pittwater Squid And Breambos

roosterman

Hi guys,

headed up my local in pittwater to stock up on squid and soak a bait for bream while flicking jigs around for squid......got to my spot around eight and as im putting a yellowtail strip on the 1/0 i notice 2 squid prowling..mmmmmm quickly pick other rod with jig and as i cast a school of small choppers intercept my targets and they shoot off 100 miles an hour.. :ranting2: .. oh well get yt rig in the zone awaiting for the bream school to come feeding in the shallows as they do... i commence flicking for awhile and notice a few pickups an nibbles on yt rig but nothing stays.... after sending out a fresh bait i monitor this one carefully... i notice a slow pickup and some very faint taps so as he picks up bait again i lift rod and set hook :yahoo: im on this thing pulls drag so i set drag tighter and a zig left zag right some dancing around structure then finally land this very fit 35cm bream :yahoo: .... i quickly put another bait out then the same things happen... very finnicky touches... time to gut fish to see what they are feeding on,this is a very good thing to do sometimes as a bait switch may be difference to success/failure... this breambo was full of squid chunks,damn i left squid heads at home... continue to flick for squid and monitor yt rig... i drop a stonker squid of 30 - 35cm hood then 10 min later get his friend of 30cm hood... i quickly put one of his candles on 1/0 then into the killing zone and within a couple mins im on :thumbup: after a nice tussle i land a 30cm model..this female was full of crabs /squid so crabs woulda been a good goer also... anyway had a couple small bites for no other hookups and tide had passed for this spot so concentrated on squid for one smaller one.....

was a very quiet night as not alot of baitfish around and not many sqiud but was happy to take home a feed...

if you know the fish are there its good if possable to check stomach contents as you may be able to change baits etc and get better success.....

bad pics as my n95 is in getting fixes and the se is crap for pics... here they are anyway...

post-2219-1207478063_thumb.jpg

post-2219-1207478081_thumb.jpg

Edited by roosterman

Good result Steve, good bream and nice squid. Good to live so close to the water, you can have a bait fish session any time you like with a chance to pick up a couple of table fish as well :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

nice stuff. looks like way more than 5cm diff. between the bream, they definately get a lot fatter and broader as they get longer.

Ive got a 29cm and a 31cm bream in the fridge and theres a huge difference even between them.

Good work roosterman, thats smart fishing.

hi byron yeh its gods country up here mate and good to grab gear at moments notice and into em litterally within a few short minutes.. but i did my apprentiship so to speak leaving from out west around 3am in freezing winter walking for half hour to catch trains every w/e to get to luna park at sunrise for luderick fishing,maybe all those big efforts are being rewarded by the big guy upstairs eh.....

Andrew it was a bad cam angle and the thicknes difference was huge for only 5cm length difference also...

brag mat was left in shed (too lazy and cold)so had to borrow kids toy tape measure but i tested its accuracy once before and was spot on just very hard to read numbers..... did you get out this weekend chasing kingies.......

hi yakfishing, i grew up fishing and had some great teachers and luckily for me occasionally i listened :1prop: ... ive used the gut therapy technique for blackfish a few times as sometimes you see them but they wont bite on my lovely offerings then find gut full of that red coarse stuff or ribbon weed etc then its a scramble to try and match it so to speak... i usually try to have varied baits and normally would of had a squid head with me but :05: sometimes... prob would of had alot more with right bait to start with as spot only fires for short period...... as for size difference i weighed some blackfish earlier in the year and was very shocked with the differences as they were identical lengths from memory,or close to it......

cheers...steve....

Edited by roosterman

hi yakfishing, i grew up fishing and had some great teachers and luckily for me occasionally i listened :1prop: ... ive used the gut therapy technique for blackfish a few times as sometimes you see them but they wont bite on my lovely offerings then find gut full of that red coarse stuff or ribbon weed etc then its a scramble to try and match it so to speak... i usually try to have varied baits and normally would of had a squid head with me but :05: sometimes... prob would of had alot more with right bait to start with as spot only fires for short period...... as for size difference i weighed some blackfish earlier in the year and was very shocked with the differences as they were identical lengths from memory,or close to it......

cheers...steve....

Gday mate

I've had a look inside some brembos from narra lake before but havent found anything identifiable as of yet, I looked in one yesterday and all found was mushed up brown crap and a small white shell, not that I really know my way around fish guts, maybe I was looking in the intestine and it was already half digested. I might have a better look around next time, and should probably try the flatties too.

Cheers mate

Well done Steve (and GO the Roosters!!)

Nice looking bream!! Amazing the size/breadth difference, yet only 5cm difference overall? Same with Blackies, eh! Seen some monster blackies in the lake but not biting much yet.

Nice Squid too!! I noticed all the tentacles GORN already! Great bait - better eating!

Wet today, so not going out!~ Gotta do some housework :( visitors arriving in a few days :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Good work on the bream...

I went out too Sunday morning....with the big tide i went the barrenjeoy flats were i usaully catch 10-15 bream every outing no matter what the tide is like.But on sunday no matter what i tried...bait,rigs etc i could not get one.i did manage 5 tailer 1 monster going 50cm all in 3m of water but not 1 bream.

so i moved to my usally palm beach ferry wharf spot and managed one legal bream and a small flattie.the worst fishing i have ever had.i called it quits at 10.

how good was the weather i think it was too nice for fishing that why i didnt catch nothing lol.it just shows you know your stuff mate.

Thumbs up!!!

cheers

tony we will def get out again,give me a buzz an well hook up....

hi Roberta,those tentacles were a great size bait and recieved much attention but as i was not monitoring rod properly (mainly flicking squid jigs) i missed most takes but was happy to have dinner sorted.... this spot fires on the big tides when the bream feed on the rock walls and shallows chasing squid.... that squid is awaiting a dinner invitation with mister mulloway and co :biggrin2: ,took me a while to convince :wife: on their value as a bait and converting them into something bigger an tastier :biggrin2: ... as for the blackies,a trick ive used at times is worms or green nippers but breambos etc could be a problem as they will beat them too it.....i may be up in a couple weeks at outlaws so i may give you a buzz if so... weeds very scarce down here also......

stumpy im workin on :wife: for some jewy missions as the big boys should be around in numbers very shortly if not already so we may have to hook up mate,fish are a bonus aboard the good ship dayrelease but not necessary to have a great time :biggrin2: .....

hi Mike,i hear ya mate....ive got a nice little stockpile gathering but if the :wife: sees how many i may have to hog tie her so my jewy baits dont go missing :074: .... im due for a big one so cannot wait as i haven't cracked the metre mark for waaaay too long.... but i am busy next w/e with my boys party but the next w/e may hit MH.. :yahoo: ....

thanks for the replies guys.... cheers....steve.........

Hi guys,

headed up my local in pittwater to stock up on squid and soak a bait for bream while flicking jigs around for squid......got to my spot around eight and as im putting a yellowtail strip on the 1/0 i notice 2 squid prowling..mmmmmm quickly pick other rod with jig and as i cast a school of small choppers intercept my targets and they shoot off 100 miles an hour.. :ranting2: .. oh well get yt rig in the zone awaiting for the bream school to come feeding in the shallows as they do... i commence flicking for awhile and notice a few pickups an nibbles on yt rig but nothing stays.... after sending out a fresh bait i monitor this one carefully... i notice a slow pickup and some very faint taps so as he picks up bait again i lift rod and set hook :yahoo: im on this thing pulls drag so i set drag tighter and a zig left zag right some dancing around structure then finally land this very fit 35cm bream :yahoo: .... i quickly put another bait out then the same things happen... very finnicky touches... time to gut fish to see what they are feeding on,this is a very good thing to do sometimes as a bait switch may be difference to success/failure... this breambo was full of squid chunks,damn i left squid heads at home... continue to flick for squid and monitor yt rig... i drop a stonker squid of 30 - 35cm hood then 10 min later get his friend of 30cm hood... i quickly put one of his candles on 1/0 then into the killing zone and within a couple mins im on :thumbup: after a nice tussle i land a 30cm model..this female was full of crabs /squid so crabs woulda been a good goer also... anyway had a couple small bites for no other hookups and tide had passed for this spot so concentrated on squid for one smaller one.....

was a very quiet night as not alot of baitfish around and not many sqiud but was happy to take home a feed...

if you know the fish are there its good if possable to check stomach contents as you may be able to change baits etc and get better success.....

Thanx for the tip mate, I live in Gods country too, but I still need all the help i can get. Isn't just slippin' down the road for a fish da bomb!!. Good work on the fish. It keeps the :wife: at bay. :074: And ensures another day on the water