Surf Fishing With Float - Securing Float

Rexxy

hey guys,

i am working on my my new equipment to start trying out surf fishing and will most likely be using a pasternose or basic rig setup but with a 12cm bob float above the trace. the floats have a small pipe thru the middle for the line, and without having to use another swivel above the float and to allow for easy adjustments of the length of the rig under it, what should i be using above the float to lock it at a certain length and not have the line "free" running thru it ??

iam guessing some sort of crimp or something, but what exactly i do not know.

any help apprectiated..

Rexxy

Rexxy,

There are some commercially available rubber stoppers which should do the trick. They also let you adjust the depth without re-rigging. I use them for luderick rigs. They simply loop onto your line, then you pull the stopper up and shes on!! Then you simply slide it to your desired location. The stopper is the first thing to go on. The rest of the terminal tackle follows after the stopper.

I also use them on 20lb braid for Surgeons so they shuld work for your application. You probably need to ask for them by name at you tackle shop. Beats the sh..t out of rubber bands and pieces of string. :thumbup:

Hi Rexxy Another easy way to make a float stopper is to wedge tooth pick/s into the tube where the line goes thru the float. Simply remove the tooth pick/s and put back in to adjust the depth. A small piece cut off a toothpick can also be used as a stopper for a sinker below a float or a normal running sinker by putting a couple or three half hitches of line around the piece of tooth pick. This doesn't weaken the line because it is a form of centauri knot and tightens the line into the tooth pick. The tooth pick also acts as a swivel and saves using one which is also great when the mono on your rig is a long length of leader.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Use a bead on the line and then tie a stopper knot. The knot looks like a UNI-Knot. Get a piece of line about 30 cm long make a loop like you are going to tie a granny knot in this pice of line. Put the loop next to your main line and pass the tag ends around the main line and through the loop about 4 times. Pull the knot up not over tight. You should end up with a knot that will then slip up and down your main line to adjust depth.

The best thing about this method is the bead will stay at the top float and will not get in the way when casting. Because the knot you tide on your line is small it will pass easily throuogh your runners when you cast.

Cheers

Kingpig

just another quick question (thought)....

if i am using 20lb Mono line, 3/0 or 4/0 ganged hooks, with the normal and crossline swivels, what strength should they be, twice the line strength ? i.e. 30ln to 40lb swivels, or would 20lb swivels suffice, given that the line is 20lb ?

hey,

just a quick note, i use balloons as floats now a days (often only inflated to the size of a gold ball) and it keeps livies off the bottom, and it wont get blown away by the wind, AND it doesnt cost jack! the way i connect them is simply when im tieing the knot in the balloon, i put the mainline strait thru the middle of the knot. at first i thought it wouldnt grip and would slide around, but i was wrong, holds its position perfectly, and allows you to slide it to wherever you want it to when necessary.

seb