Bigger Fish During The Day!

pacemode

Hi all,

Just to let you know that fishing for jew during the day is very rewarding. Secret is

BIG fresh baits and patience. PLUS local knowledge.

1) 3 weeks ago fished a live tailor landbased - scored a 6kg jew at 4.30 pm.

2) 2 weeks ago - fished live squid landbased - scored 3 kingfish just legal in the morning. (nohing special)

3) Yesterday - fished hearing head only - scored a nice 11kg jew landbased at 12.00 lunch time!

4) Today - fished soft plastics - scored nice estimated 8-10 kg jew on boat - straight after the storm at 2.00 pm.

Before this I fished at nights and the biggest I got was 4 kg. (got heaps though)

Moral to the story - don't be scared to fish during the day as the rewards are worth it. Just have to

watch the bull sharks - they might take your fish as happened to me last year.

PS - Does anyone have any idea at what has happened to squid? They have dissapeared. This time last

year I was braining them in the Port Hacking.

post-2424-1208077021_thumb.jpg

post-2424-1208077155_thumb.jpg

post-2424-1208077168_thumb.jpg

post-2424-1208077195_thumb.jpg

Nice work there on the jews. Seems like your the best jewfish fisherman I know. You meet me at Abbotsford a few weeks ago while we were squidding. I have found the same thing with the squid too. Gone completly off the bite. Been getting a few big ones however (1.5kg mark) in Sydney Harbour lately. Looks like they spawned a few weeks ago and now they have all grown up. Squid may not like all the freshwater or the junk in the water is making it hard to work for them.

Nice work on the Jews once again, you really know how to brain them! Jim isnt it?

Squidboy (Marco)

Hey Anrew Snr -

Bloody hate loosing squid jigs - that was a $30 loss that night - bloody hacking has swallowed a few in the past years. On Friday night I tried the harbour and lost another 2. $60 in 2 nights!

Got fed up so I took a couple of pillies (cost 30 cents) down to the warf and caught livies. I have caught better fish on livies or fish baits but seem to feel better when I have squid in the water.

PS - Not eating the fish - Gave one to my parents and the other was torpedoed back into the water. It is awesome seeing a jew swim away from you in daylight - they look so much smaller in the water.

As I tell everyone - I don't eat fish unless it comes wrapped in white paper or newspaper and is heavily battered. IPLUS heaps of lemon and chips - I am just a sicko fisho ...

Your buying those fish from the fish markets aren't you :tease:

No really, are they Sydney Harbour fish? Was reading an article yesterday about the Harbour and some guru thinks there are some 50kg models to be had out there. What do you think?

Hey Anrew Snr -

Bloody hate loosing squid jigs - that was a $30 loss that night - bloody hacking has swallowed a few in the past years. On Friday night I tried the harbour and lost another 2. $60 in 2 nights!

Got fed up so I took a couple of pillies (cost 30 cents) down to the warf and caught livies. I have caught better fish on livies or fish baits but seem to feel better when I have squid in the water.

PS - Not eating the fish - Gave one to my parents and the other was torpedoed back into the water. It is awesome seeing a jew swim away from you in daylight - they look so much smaller in the water.

As I tell everyone - I don't eat fish unless it comes wrapped in white paper or newspaper and is heavily battered. IPLUS heaps of lemon and chips - I am just a sicko fisho ...

we have to find a cheaper way of getting squid jigs eh :( so expensive when you lose them. I was using 10lb line as well, so usually you can bend out the spikes, but not this time. No more fishing for me for a few months as I'm going away, but might try for some winter fish in july/august when I get back.

I'll show andrew the jews you caught, he will be jealous, he is still waiting for his first legal one hehe

Your buying those fish from the fish markets aren't you :tease:

No really, are they Sydney Harbour fish? Was reading an article yesterday about the Harbour and some guru thinks there are some 50kg models to be had out there. What do you think?

Hi Plankton

I dont know about 50kg fish in the harbour - the largest I have seen is 43kg come out of the haweksbury and that fish was chocolate brown. But the harbour holds heaps of jew.. more than most would beleive. I have stories from too many people in past years. One problem I think is that a lot of the conventional methods that people use to catch jew are not on the money. I laugh at the full moon phrase and tend to get jew all thru the year. And on Sunday I finally broke the myth about thundestorms and jew. The lightning was very close to us in an aluminium boat (nutcases) and the jew was caught about 20 minutes after it passed through. Jew beleive it or not prefer to feed in shallow water and not in holes!!! They also travel in paths very close into structure looking for food and for cover against enemies such as sharks. Find these quick getaway spots and you will find heaps of fish. The harbour has plenty of structure and ample food (not only squid) - find the bait, fish on drop offs or shallow water, fish travel paths, fish points where eddies occur - fish smaller tides and you will maximise your chances of catching fish. The smaller fish feed in channels and holes. The larger ones are on the move finding the easiest vantage point to grab a feed.

Hope that helps

Hi Plankton

I dont know about 50kg fish in the harbour - the largest I have seen is 43kg come out of the haweksbury and that fish was chocolate brown. But the harbour holds heaps of jew.. more than most would beleive. I have stories from too many people in past years. One problem I think is that a lot of the conventional methods that people use to catch jew are not on the money. I laugh at the full moon phrase and tend to get jew all thru the year. And on Sunday I finally broke the myth about thundestorms and jew. The lightning was very close to us in an aluminium boat (nutcases) and the jew was caught about 20 minutes after it passed through. Jew beleive it or not prefer to feed in shallow water and not in holes!!! They also travel in paths very close into structure looking for food and for cover against enemies such as sharks. Find these quick getaway spots and you will find heaps of fish. The harbour has plenty of structure and ample food (not only squid) - find the bait, fish on drop offs or shallow water, fish travel paths, fish points where eddies occur - fish smaller tides and you will maximise your chances of catching fish. The smaller fish feed in channels and holes. The larger ones are on the move finding the easiest vantage point to grab a feed.

Hope that helps

JEW SECRETS !! Thanks for sharing mate .. now when's that next thunderstorm ...

that's a top spot in sydney harbour there. seen many a jew caught off that sailing club wall but never a king!

well done.

congratulations.

Hi there - you are talking about Greenwich I guess - good kingfish spot - but you must fish light (meaning not heavy sinker ) and not cast far - it does not matter where u fish there. Kings cruise past -- I fished there 2 times in the morning - did not pay attention to tide. Live cuttlefish are dynamite there. I dont catch jew there, does not have the day time structure i like, but yeh you get them at night there, as i know the yellowtail conggreagte there. Day or night i like to fish where there is bait, when fishing for for jew.

Hi there - you are talking about Greenwich I guess - good kingfish spot - but you must fish light (meaning not heavy sinker ) and not cast far - it does not matter where u fish there. Kings cruise past -- I fished there 2 times in the morning - did not pay attention to tide. Live cuttlefish are dynamite there. I dont catch jew there, does not have the day time structure i like, but yeh you get them at night there, as i know the yellowtail conggreagte there. Day or night i like to fish where there is bait, when fishing for for jew.

mate i'l tell you where the squid are ... their in my belly !!! :wife:

thanks for the tip.

i stopped fishing there after the dioxin scare but it used to be a sweet spot.

"Day or night i like to fish where there is bait, when fishing for for jew." lot's of chopper tailor at that spot if you berley them up. there's even better baitgrounds around that way if you speak to some of the regular saliling club fishos ;)

Edited by choad