108cm Barra - Shady Camp Nt

Croydon

Hi folks,

I just got back from a trip of a life time. Last week, myself and 5 mates took off for Darwin for a little R & R. What a trip! The place lived up to everything you hear about it. First days fishing was on a deep sea charter out of Darwin Harbour. Ended up travelling 35nm from port looking for the fish as there was a huge 7m tide. This made things a little tough but when the tide change came, the fish weren't too far behind. My mate Dean got the below jew which was the best for the day. It went a shade under 10Kg's. This wasn't the last for his trip though....

post-4525-1208251488_thumb.jpg

The following day we headed to Shady Camp on the Mary River. This place is just paradise. Everything that swims with teeth could be found......

post-4525-1208251515_thumb.jpg

As there were 6 of us we fished three to a boat and in the one day we boated just over 160 Barra, from first year sprats to models in the 65cm department. Our boat pulled in 101 fish for the day and we must have dropped half that many again. Most fish were caught on a variety of soft plastics in various brands and sizes.

Two days later he headed out, below the barrage to troll for some bigger fish. It took a while but we found some. These guys were around the 75cm mark which my brother and I picked up. Beautiful silver salty's...........

post-4525-1208251534_thumb.jpg

post-4525-1208251556_thumb.jpg

But the best of the day went to Dean - again. A fantastic female of 108cm caught on 20lb braid and 60lb leader, on a Reidy's silver B52. A fish we will never forget!

post-4525-1208251574_thumb.jpg

I've got to say it was the best holiday I've had in a long long time. My arms hurt from catching fish, my liver hurts from 1 too many beers and my jaw hurts from a week of laughter. Time to start saving for the next one!! Kind of makes it hard to come home and chase the humble snapper! But I guess I'll just have to make do. All the best and I hope you enjoy the photo's......

Dave

Hear hear, an absolute monster trip of a lifetime you've had there mate. Loved the description of your jaw hurting from laughter. Thanks for sharing the pics and memories.

I hope between work and family I get there one day too. One thing's for sure, when you look back one day when it's time to check out, you won't be regretting doing this trip. Splendid.

well done guys,

not just on the fishing but also your report. no need buying $10 magazines full of superstars. with genuine emotion packed photos of your mates accompanying some funny and informative words - thats what we really want to see and read. thats fishing, thanks mate.

i am sure all who check this report would agree, I WANNA GO!

Nothing better than when a planned fishing trip comes together!~!

Great work on bagging so many Barra.

At least photos and times like that help the hard and long days at work easier to take.

Great stuff - Dodge

Awesome trip Croydon. :thumbup: By the look of the pics and the report itself you have made memories to last a lifetime. I am hoping to get up to Gove again later this year and I hope I can do as good as you guys. Or maybe better :074:

GOOB

That's some fantastic results and drag pulling fun.

I've done the N.T trip twice, with the second one 2 years ago at Melville Island absolutley out of this world variety and quantity of fish caught, with amazing scenery thrown in. I recommend it to anyone.

You can't beat the north, you have me frothing for more!!!

Awesome trip. Great pics, great Barra etc

I'm hoping to do a trip later in the year. What lures did the damage if you don't mind me asking? Gotta start stocking up from now :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

G'day Red,

The saltwater barra we picked up Reidys B52's about 6" long. Very much like the mullet which were swimming all round the place. Dived to a couple of feet while trolling grass beds about 6' deep. The majority of freshies came on soft plastics of all shapes, sizes and colours. Just kept changing and catching... I'll have a look back and see what one's in particular stand out. Thanks..

Dave

Thanks folks,

I'm really glad everyone enjoyed the photo's and story as much as we did. If you ever get the chance to do something similar, go for it. It's worth the saving, the organising and the occasional disagreement with the fun sherriff!! It's just got to be done..... To see every barra we caught swim away - gold! The look on my mates face with that huge barra says it all. Cheers...

Dave

post-4525-1208429114_thumb.jpg

post-4525-1208429127_thumb.jpg

Dave

Thanks for the great report and pictures of happy lads.I was up that way last week(Wed till Sunday) fishing at Cape Don(200 km NE of Darwin), doing a mixture of blue water and creek fishing.We didn't get as many fish in a day as you did(Wow 101) but the Territory is a fishing paradise.

Regards Kit

How good is it to catch a big barra - I got one last year 91cm at Bathurst Island but it was a horse across the shoulders. Got the catch on video to so i can relive the memory. My little brother Nick got a small jew nothing to complete.

Anyone who hasnt done a top end trip save your precious $$ and get up there!!

post-2600-1208513918_thumb.jpg

How good is it to catch a big barra - I got one last year 91cm at Bathurst Island but it was a horse across the shoulders. Got the catch on video to so i can relive the memory. My little brother Nick got a small jew nothing to complete.

Anyone who hasnt done a top end trip save your precious $$ and get up there!!

post-2600-1208513918_thumb.jpg

Now that is one beautiful salty!!!!! Aren't they just magic....

Dave

Hi.

Just a quicky.

Is that concrete ramp in on the fresh side now.

Forms and mesh were down last time we were there.

will make it easier to launch in the mud.

Macka17

Hi Macka,

The two days we fished Shady we didn't use the salt water ramp. We launched from the fresh side and headed around the back to a few runoffs and then into the Mary River proper. Came back the same way. sorry I can't help.

Dave