Pb Bream

GK510

Went out for a solo mission on Sunday a couple of weeks ago. Dropped the boat in at Akuna and headed off to get a few livies. Once I had caught about 10 or 12 yakkas I decided it was time to go and hook into a few monsters. :1fishing1:

Wouldn't you know it, after trying spots X,Y and Z, nothing seemed to have the taste for my yakkas that day. How unusual. NOT!!! :1badmood:

As the hours passed by I only managed to pull in a few small snapper. I had decided to call it a day and head back in when I realised how many prawns I had left and thought to myself, I can't let these go to waste. It was time for a last ditch attempt for at least something to take home for dinner.

I anchored at spot W, burleyed up with my remaining pillies and threw a line in with fingers crossed. Almost straight away, I was on. It felt like it may be something quite reasonable. Had a couple of quick runs before surrendering. It ended up being another snapper, although this one was right on the 30cm mark. As it was borderline, I decided to put him back after telling him "I'll be back" in a really bad Schwarzennegger accent. :1prop:

All went quiet for a while so I slotted the rod into the rod holder and reached for a drink. No sooner had I taken my eyes of the rod when I heard that singing that we all love to hear .....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. :thumbup:

Finally, I was on to something. It was taking line at a rapid rate and I started to get concerned he was going to spool me. With great care, I tightened the drag a couple of clicks and started to reel him in. I was using 6lb line with an 8lb leader and was getting worried that I was going to have a bust off as this thing felt like it weighed a tonne.

After a couple more runs, I finally got a some colour. :1yikes: It was now that I decided it would be a good idea to reach for the net. Very cautiously, I scooped him up into the boat.

:yahoo: This was one serious bream. I had only ever seen bream this sort of size in photos and almost couldn't believe that I had this one sitting in the boat.

When I got home, it was time for the big stats check. He was 43 cm and just on 2kg. I think it may be a while before I catch another specimen this size.

Cheers,

Graham. :beersmile:

post-5378-1208478353_thumb.jpg

post-5378-1208478405_thumb.jpg

post-5378-1208478468_thumb.jpg

Nice one ! They must go hard at that size class .. was your 6lb line mono or braid ?

Tell me , are bream a heavier (more solid) fish than say salmon and jews because my 57cm jew and 58 cm salmon only came up at 1.6 and 1.9 kilos respectively ?!?! Perhaps my scales are wrong .. my biggest bream to date was 32 cm but I did not bother weighing it because it wasn't ahhem of worthy size !

Also how do you snap their necks so perfectly ? Do you use your hands to snap or filleting knife to slit ?

Thx champ.

Nice work - how did you cook it??

I cooked him whole in the oven. Personally, I think whole is the only way to cook bream. I stuffed it with some finely sliced orange, lemon and lime, some bazil and parsley, drizzled a bit of olive oil and white wine over the top and wrapped it in foil. Unfortunately, it didn't taste as good as some of the smaller ones I've cooked using the same method.

Nice one ! They must go hard at that size class .. was your 6lb line mono or braid ?

Tell me , are bream a heavier (more solid) fish than say salmon and jews because my 57cm jew and 58 cm salmon only came up at 1.6 and 1.9 kilos respectively ?!?! Perhaps my scales are wrong .. my biggest bream to date was 32 cm but I did not bother weighing it because it wasn't ahhem of worthy size !

Also how do you snap their necks so perfectly ? Do you use your hands to snap or filleting knife to slit ?

Thx champ.

I was using 6lb braid with an 8lb flouro leader. I'm not really sure whether bream are more solid than salmon or jews. I've never caught a salmon and my one and only jew was only 25cm. The bream was very fat. I have added another photo below which gives you a bit of an idea how fat it was. I weighed it on electronic kitchen scales nad it was 1.95 kg to be exact.

I used a filleting knife to snap its neck.

Cheers,

Graham.

post-5378-1208486444_thumb.jpg

Nice bream!

Stylo the Cowan bream are very fat and tall for their length for some reason.

I don't know what it is but they definately look different to the ones out of the harbour which look long and slim compared.

Greg