Leaders With Sp

Lasty

I was wondering whether any of you guys use leaders with SP?

The reason I ask is that we have just returned from Sussex Inlet where I was using sp on 6lb mono. On Saturday morning the sp got smashed (the first go was a touch, the second go was a play and then he absolutely smashed it) and what I am assuming was a big flathead took the entire sp and bit through the line. I was wondering if I should use a 12lb leader like I do with my bait fishing?

I always use a leader for whatever i'm doing, its often important for SP's as flattie's very often cut throught the line with their head shakes and teeth so heavier trace line is required to try and prevent this. It can also save you getting busted up by bigger pelagics on structure + most trace lines are invisible to fish whereas some braids put straight onto the lure can be fairly obvious in the water for the fish to see.

Josh

Edited by Josh88

• 1 month later...

hi, i fish in lake macquarie with sp,s and we get sum big flatties, im useing 4 pound braid then about 5 foot of 8 pound flourocarbon (vanish) leader. and ive never had any problems (yet) .

talkin about big tailor down south at the moment.... A mate got one 91cms on saturday.

It weighed in at 7kgs. If there ar fish like that around doenst matter the lb leader. 10lb wll do most things in an estuary.

• 3 weeks later...