Handling Kingies For The Plate

adkel53

Thought I'd share my experienes with eating kingies.

1. Bleed immediately on capture (I take a tall bucket for this - cut through the throat and put head first in for 5 minutes or so).

2. Wash and place in cold salt water (2-3 frozen 2 litre containers work well in my esky).

3. Clean and scale (not really necessary as tou will see). Keep contact with fresh water minimal - none if possible.

4 Fillet as usual and remove the ribcage.

5. Cut each fillet down the centre through the line of red meat.

6. Using a sharp filleting knife and with the piece of red meat closest to you, skin each half fillet. You need to start at the head end on one piece. By angling the handle end of the knife upwards you can remove almost all of the red meat in one action while skinning the fish, leaving nice white peices to cut into siutable sized portions. Hence, no need to scale the fish in the first place.

7. Mix up some lemon/lime juice with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Could add chilli, garlic, ginger, 5 spice powder etc etc. Experiment.

8.Turn barbie on and open a beer. By time beer consumed barbie will me ready (not too hot). Dip pieces into the liquid and place on the plate. Don't overcook them. You will of course have another beer in hand by now! You can spoon/paint/splash on more liquid as they cook if you wish.

9. Serve with a nice green salad and some fresh crusy bread.

10 . A meal fit for a KING!! My family/friends drool over it.

Tight lines and dont keep more than you can eat fresh.

Kel

PS: The top part of the fillet from the shoulder end makes great sashimi too.

Anyone got any more favourite kingie recipes?

1. Bleed immediately on capture (I take a tall bucket for this - cut through the throat and put head first in for 5 minutes or so).

2. Wash and place in cold salt water (2-3 frozen 2 litre containers work well in my esky).

3. Clean and scale (not really necessary as tou will see). Keep contact with fresh water minimal - none if possible.

4 Fillet as usual and remove the ribcage.

Anyone got any more favourite kingie recipes?

With YFT I cover the eyes with a wet towell, then stick a sharp knife in behind the fin whilst fish is alive, and the blood will pump out by itself.

Put in the esky to chill

Once chilled then take a piece of single trace wire and push it between the eyes (of the fish, not yours) then push it all the way down the backbone of the fish. This relaxes the muscles and makes the flesh a lot tenderer. (Quite amazing to see the fish shake all about after it's dead). Then out the belly and gills - ready now for whatever desired method of eating is chosen

For me it's sashimi - at least 4 or 5 times a week - don't get too jealous

or

Prepare aluminium foil, spread with butter, lemon pepper seasoning, garlic and some addittional fresh lemon and cracked pepper. Put the same ingredients inside the belly also. Don't be lousy with the seasoning, can also add a littl olive oil. Wrap the foil around the whole fish (5 to 7 kg is a good size), making sure to completely seal the parcel (don't want the juices or steam getting out) put it on the BBQ and turn it occasionally with a shovel.

Can't get much better than that!

Don't forget the tequilla - no good to waste the left over lemon!

Out of interest, when you clean and gut your fish, do you clean the insides with salt water as well? I wouldnt think that the salt water is as clean as fresh water, especially after significant rain.

If the water looks nice and clean I do. If it looks dirty (like yesterday at Tunks Park) I use minimal fresh water. I also try to srub along the backbone with a brush (a kitchen brush or stiff toothbrush works well).

Kel

• 1 month later...

I don't clean the fish.. just fillet and skin it straight away.

I find that egg and Japanese bread crumbs is a great way to eat them. The fish steams inside the coating making the flesh very moist and succulent. I cut the fillets across the grain and into smallish (100mm) pieces. Fry them in oil and butter.

Serve with an ailoi. You can make a quick aioli using a ready made mayonnaise, teaspoon of Dijon mustard, olive oil, half a teaspoon of greated garlic, jiuce of half a lemon, some thyme, salt and pepper. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk the shit out of it.

Servce with a carton of extremely cold Beez Neez. :thumbup:

Edited by Cephalopod