Fishing Fiji

damobows

Just thought that I would update you on how I went in Fiji,

Went on one local charter catching a multitude of fish mainly Scaley Mackeral and I got a 6kg Skipjack Tuna which was good on light gear.

Other than that I just went for a couple of hours with the guys from the Island in the afternoons only about 100m off the Island in a 6m tinnie.

Most notable catches were this 25.5kg GT - caught on Shimano Starlo Stix Tourney Ed 7kg rod, Shimano Stradic 4000 spooled with 30lb Nitlon braid with a 30cm wire trace - it took a popper (Cultiva Tango dancer in Orange) what a fight that was took the best part of 40 minutes.

The strike was amazing the white water from it was like someone dropped a washing maching in the water!

Caught a few more GT's on the trip mainly this one's younger brothers along with some very tastey Red emperor and Tuna.

Most noteable miss was an approx 20kg Baracuda that took a live bait (2kg Mackeral!) approx 4 feet long after a 30 min fight on the above gear got it to the back of the boat and the hook pulled......................................................................................%$%^$%^ would have loved a photo with that bad boy! The first run I just pulled it up with 1 metre of mine on the spool (125m of braid) and I saw the bottom of the spool 3 more times! Ah well.

Hope you like the pics

Cheers

Damo

Trying to add the pics......

post-4498-1209368921_thumb.jpg

post-4498-1209368938_thumb.jpg

post-4498-1209368950_thumb.jpg

Edited by damobows

Most notable catches were this 25.5kg GT - what a fight that was took the best part of 40 minutes.

The strike was amazing the white water from it was like someone dropped a washing maching in the water!

Hope you like the pics

Cheers

Damo

Trying to add the pics......

Excellent GT and pics.

Caught one weighing 32kg whilst in PNG on a trolled dead bait. The bugger had barnacles growing on him!

Sounds like a great honeymoon - did the wife go with you? :074::074:

Edited by Mariner 31

Awesome GT Damo,

Which Island were you fishing at if you don't mind me asking? I'll be visiting Fiji for the 1st time in July (one of the Yasawa Islands) and am hoping to try the fishing there.

Btw, is that a Kingfisher yak in your pic? Nice yak either way.

Cheers

Marty

Hi Damo,

Good to hear that you got into them on the honeymoon. I am counting down the days to Vanuatu.

It is amazing the size of fish that you can catch just off the islands. The GT is a honker !!!!!!!, makes my 45cm model look like a baby.

Pity about the Baracuda, would have made for a great photo. Looks like you will have to go back on the 1st wedding anniversary.

cheers

mr mojo

Awesome GT Damo,

Which Island were you fishing at if you don't mind me asking? I'll be visiting Fiji for the 1st time in July (one of the Yasawa Islands) and am hoping to try the fishing there.

Btw, is that a Kingfisher yak in your pic? Nice yak either way.

Cheers

Marty

Hi Marty,

I got it off an Island called Matamanoa which is not actually in the Yasawa's (from memory its in the mamanuca Islands but could be wrong, its on the way to the Yasawa's) but not far from it - I think the Yasawa's have got as good if not better fishing though

If I could offer one piece of advice invest in some quality wire traces they are essential in that part of the world if you want to land big fish, it might cut down numbers caught but at least you stay connected to the ones that count!

Yeah its a Kingfisher, love it only its getting bloody cold in it at the moment and the kingies have all but gone from the bay I hate this time of year!!!

Cheers

Damo

Hi Damo

Nice catch.

I am going to fiji in two weeks for my honey moon , do you recomend any particular charters

Ritchie

Hi Ritchie,

I didn't really go on any charters as such, the Island I was on - Matamanoa, had fishing as an afternoon trip I did go with one local guy who was based out of Toko Riki Island but that was just organised through the locals.

Not much help sorry, if your going to the Islands there are people attached to each Island that will help, I guess it depends where your going though.

Cheers

Damien