Pt Stephens 2008

Ross Hunter

PT STEPHENS A GREAT MARLIN SEASON

Life has been very busy for the past few months and we have not had time to update the reports, we are back in the”big smoke” now.

Both Broadbill and Billfisher have fished the most spectacular marlin grounds of Pt Stephens (100 nautical miles north of Sydney) since mid January and whilst we are back in Sydney now, it is always a little nostalgic leaving our second home.

Summarizing the season, both boats worked 60 days each and we tagged and released 108 marlin that may sound pretty successful but in fact, going by previous seasons, was a little mediocre.

In early January the fish were every where, big mahis, striped marlin (Broady’s best day was eight stripes), blacks and even the odd blue marlin , however by late February the fish were thinning out with catches of one’s and two’s per day, being the average

Then came mid March and we were all wondering where to go to catch a fish it really got tough with one marlin a day being a great day.

The problem that we all have fishing these most productive marlin grounds is that we have come to expect multiple bites per day and when that drops to one or two it seems as though the fish have scattered, but if we were fishing any other waters getting two shots a day we would accept that as a good day, such is the reputation of the great fishery.

April did not improve that much, like it generally does at Pt Stephens, however it did improve marginally.

Glenn and myself fished the Kenworth Tournament which traditionally has been held in Bermagui. There were 11 charter boats fished it over 4 days with 14 marlin released and that blew previous records out the window from down south.

Once again still not brilliant for Pt Stephens but the organisers were thrilled so I guess we’ll see them back next year. Broady and Billfisher caught four marlin in the event.

All fish were switched off two teasers, it was a better deal to cover lots of ground because of the scarceness of marlin. There were a handful of jelly bean tuna caught as well.

It was disappointing that April did not fire up like previous seasons, but there’s nothing any of us mere mortals can do to change that.

I recall in ’97 catching 18 in a day in late April but then again that was the greatest of all marlin seasons, a season when we caught 248 on Broadbill. Catches of 10’s and 12 were common every day. Will the glory days return? Yes! I believe they will but when I would not predict.

post-2782-1209430255_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1209430282_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1209430311_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1209430233_thumb.jpg

Welcome back to the bigsmoke Ross & well done on getting over a 100 marlin for your charter's in a tough

season up there,im sure you still put plenty of happy smiles on the face's of those lucky fisho's getting

amongst the marlin.

Congratulations mate!

Cheers

Steve

Interesting report, Ross.

Sounds like you had a relatively successful season ... 108 marlin is a great effort. I guess everything in our sport is relative, particularly when you recall your dynamite session in '97. I would imagine there are other vessels on the water without the sort of numbers you managed this season, so congrats to you. :thumbup:

The photos are great. I can only wonder at what your photo album looks like! :1yikes:

Hodgey

• 2 weeks later...

PT STEPHENS A GREAT MARLIN SEASON

Life has been very busy for the past few months and we have not had time to update the reports, we are back in the”big smoke” now.

Both Broadbill and Billfisher have fished the most spectacular marlin grounds of Pt Stephens (100 nautical miles north of Sydney) since mid January and whilst we are back in Sydney now, it is always a little nostalgic leaving our second home.

Summarizing the season, both boats worked 60 days each and we tagged and released 108 marlin that may sound pretty successful but in fact, going by previous seasons, was a little mediocre.

In early January the fish were every where, big mahis, striped marlin (Broady’s best day was eight stripes), blacks and even the odd blue marlin , however by late February the fish were thinning out with catches of one’s and two’s per day, being the average

Then came mid March and we were all wondering where to go to catch a fish it really got tough with one marlin a day being a great day.

The problem that we all have fishing these most productive marlin grounds is that we have come to expect multiple bites per day and when that drops to one or two it seems as though the fish have scattered, but if we were fishing any other waters getting two shots a day we would accept that as a good day, such is the reputation of the great fishery.

April did not improve that much, like it generally does at Pt Stephens, however it did improve marginally.

Glenn and myself fished the Kenworth Tournament which traditionally has been held in Bermagui. There were 11 charter boats fished it over 4 days with 14 marlin released and that blew previous records out the window from down south.

Once again still not brilliant for Pt Stephens but the organisers were thrilled so I guess we’ll see them back next year. Broady and Billfisher caught four marlin in the event.

All fish were switched off two teasers, it was a better deal to cover lots of ground because of the scarceness of marlin. There were a handful of jelly bean tuna caught as well.

It was disappointing that April did not fire up like previous seasons, but there’s nothing any of us mere mortals can do to change that.

I recall in ’97 catching 18 in a day in late April but then again that was the greatest of all marlin seasons, a season when we caught 248 on Broadbill. Catches of 10’s and 12 were common every day. Will the glory days return? Yes! I believe they will but when I would not predict.

post-2782-1209430255_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1209430282_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1209430311_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1209430233_thumb.jpg

GREAT REPORT.... ME AND MY BROTHER RELIGIOUSLY ATTEND PORT STEPHENS AROUND MID MARCH... THIS YEAR WE HAD A GOOD TIME...HEAPS OF MAHI MAHI AROUND THE FADS ( BEFORE THEY DISAPPEARED) AND I GOT MY FIRST MARLIN HOOK UP... ON A 12' EVIL LURE... BUT BEING A NOVICE TO THIS KIND OF FISHING I DIDNT CHECK MY LINE AND THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A NICK IN THE MONO AND I LOST EVERYTHING.... PLAYED HIM FOR ABOUT 5 MINS THOUGH AND SAW HIM COME UP TO THE BACK OF THE BOAT TO GRAB THE LURE... IT BLEW MY MIND!!

Well done Ross - sounds pretty successful to me!! :) Love the pics too!

Read a great writeup on you & your boats in one of the BlueWater fishing mags recently! Terrific write up!!

Now you can settle down & start on those other stripies ...... the Blackies! :) :)

Cheerio

Roberta