Sea Sickness

mrj031

Hi guys and gals,

I am relatively new to this site so i offer my thanks in advance.

I went out over the weekend and had a bout of sea-sickness. Normally its a hit and miss affair with me I have been out in worse and felt fine, but sometimes its comes and others it doesnt.

I was wondering if anyone has tried anything that works. I will try Kwells next time but is there something better or can I try to train my body out of it?

Cheers

Joel

I went out over the weekend and had a bout of sea-sickness. Normally its a hit and miss affair with me I have been out in worse and felt fine, but sometimes its comes and others it doesnt.

Hi Joel

Generally speaking - there is no magic tablet for seasickness - you just have to find something that works for you. I find they fall into three catagories:

1) Natural Solutions: Things including ginger pills, straps for wrists etc. Some people find they work. If they do for you, keep them. Side effects are minimal. Eating Sao Biscuits are known to soak up spare liquid, and help keep sea sickness to a minimum.

2) More "Serious" solutions: Something like Kwells works to "dry" you out - making it harder to throw up. Often side effects include dehydration. Some people have told me they make you feel worse then sick sickness. But as with all stuff - give it a go, and see how it works. Travelcalm (Original) takes a different track, and uses anti-histimine, which is known to reduce seasickness. Side effects include sleepiness, or just feeling "crap" when you return.

3) Prescription. Pills like Stemital. More serious, drug designed to stop body throwing up. See your doctor.

Often, people will use a combination - perhaps ginger and saos, or saos and Travelcalm.

I started with Ginger tablets, that worked for a while, but ended up not. I tried a whole bunch of other stuff, including stemital, but in all these, they ended up either not working, or making me feel really bad. So now on a bad day, I use TravelCalm Original, Saos, and drink Caffeine to keep me awake. When I get home, I'm normally stuffed until it wears off.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I have not yet vomitted from being sick, just more like dizzy/lightheaded/hot and clamy and Nauseous...

It really annoyes me because it comes on just as the fish do and I wanna keep fishing out wide but this really hinders me.

Cheers

Joel

I use the travelcalm original everytime I go out otherwise I'm sick as a dog. The trick I found is to take one tablet when you go to sleep and one tablet an hour or two before you head out. Take lots of water and drink regularly. Doing this I find that you don't dry out too much and your not too drowsy at all. Can be rough as and have I no problems with seasickness.

My scurvy no good crew has a different cure altogether; cold ones on the way to the ramp. Three or four VB's before we launch and a few more while we are out keep him very chipper. Trouble is as soon as he runs out he wants to come back in!

Cheers

Jiggy

I had the same problem with sea sickness. I am normally great until I went to catch some yakkas at west head. There was a bit of a swell, and with the boat anchored, I felt awlful. I find in those situations, dramamine really helped me. The only problem is it can make you feel drowsy. I find that when you are concentrating on your fishing, you forget about been drowsy. I rather be a bit drowsy than feel the nausea of sea sickness. It is like a slow torture.

I had the same problem with sea sickness. I am normally great until I went to catch some yakkas at west head. There was a bit of a swell, and with the boat anchored, I felt awlful. I find in those situations, dramamine really helped me. The only problem is it can make you feel drowsy. I find that when you are concentrating on your fishing, you forget about been drowsy. I rather be a bit drowsy than feel the nausea of sea sickness. It is like a slow torture.

Chopper...

I take one dramamine religously at breakfast before every fishing trip now for as long

as i can ever remember and that adds up to a few dramamine let me tell you..

so you can imagine to my surprise when asking for them at the chemist during the week when they

told me they are no longer available on the market........so i guess it will be travelcalm for me in the future

so to any budding pharmicists out there could anyone tell me what would now be the closest alternative

sea sickness ingredient wise that is available....... im thinking travalcalm

would i be correct?????

Cheers Warnie...

Whhhhhaaaaattttt???

Dramamine is off the market.

Don't say that, they have saved me many times and I just ran out a few weeks ago.....

I wonder if any chemists have them sitting on the shelf still from old stock.

travelcalm for me (orig blue/white pack)

i take one or 1/2 a tablet the night before so it is in my system

and take another/or the other half

1/2 hour before launch.

if i have had a half i might have another one after 2hrs out

then just follow the the packet instructions

Don,t have more then 4 in 24hrs

I also take ginger beer with me to take swigs out of every so often

and some food to nibble on. (might not need the food might just be a habit :biggrin2: )

• Like 1

Hi all, i get crook at the thought of a sydney ferry driving past my boat.

blackmoores travelcalm, did not work at all for me . this actually made me vomit more in the boat and gave me a bad case or diarheia (not sure of spelling).

kwells helped but i still get crook in rough conditions.

i was watching myth busters last week and they tested a few remedies for sea sickness.

they said that it occurs due to the boat roll and a frequency of 0.2 Hz

They tested the following on two people:

1) ginger tablets : the test lasted for 30 min and both did not get sick - this worked the best.

2) wrist bands : sick within 1 mintue

3) placebo tablet (panadol) : got sick after about 3mins.

4) tablet for seas sickness: worked on 1 of the subject, didnt work on the other (sick after 9mins).

tests were done on the two blind folded on a machine that similated a boat.

they concluded, by saying that each individual is different and that you must experiment with different tablets to find one that suit the individual.

regards MR RB.

Kwells have always worked very well for me.

I know they don't agree with some people but whenever I go offshore I have one before I leave home, then another one about 4 hours later and I'm fine regardless of the conditions...

If I don't take the tablets I'm almost guaranteed to be sick.

Cheers

Tony

Chopper...

I take one dramamine religously at breakfast before every fishing trip now for as long

so you can imagine to my surprise when asking for them at the chemist during the week when they

told me they are no longer available on the market........so i guess it will be travelcalm for me in the future

so to any budding pharmicists out there could anyone tell me what would now be the closest alternative

would i be correct?????

Cheers Warnie...

I didn't even know that dramamine were no longer available. That is bad new. They worked great on me. Never got sick at all. I better ration the dramamine that I have left

Kwells do it for me !!

I chew down two with coffee for breakfast, and it does'nt matter how long i'm out there or how rough it gets , i could stand on my head and drink bilge water without a hint of feeling the dreaded mal- der-meer.

(got sick once, now Kwells are God ).

cheers,

Bruce :beersmile:

Chopper...

would i be correct?????

Cheers Warnie...

Hi Warnie - Travacalm and Dramamine both contain Dimenhydrinate 50mg.

The Travacalm has another ingredient called Hyoscine which helps to stop the vomiting.

Kwells only contains Hyoscine

So yes, Travacalm will work exactly the same as the Dramamine did for you :biggrin2:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

This is a somewhat different solution and probably wont be everybody's idea of a pleasant cure but my mum has suffered from sea sickness and in Qld a guy told her to go for a swim when she felt sick, she did and it helped a lot. Probably not ideal, especially with dropping temperatures in both air and water, as well as the small unpredictablity of what can be swimming around in the harbour but always there as an option.

Josh

travelcalm for me (orig blue/white pack)

i take one or 1/2 a tablet the night before so it is in my system

and take another/or the other half

1/2 hour before launch.

if i have had a half i might have another one after 2hrs out

then just follow the the packet instructions

Don,t have more then 4 in 24hrs

I also take ginger beer with me to take swigs out of every so often

and some food to nibble on. (might not need the food might just be a habit :biggrin2: )

I follow the same process as Johnno.

Find something that works for you and stcik with it. I have followed this for years with no problems.

Half before bed, the other half with a light breakfast. I sip water for the first few hours regardless of conditions and will not eat until mid morning - then things are good, the body and middle ear have become atuned to the motion and then out they come - Chicken in a biscuit or Chicken Crimpy's are a must have, lunch and few beers, NO RUM. Not sure about having 4 tablets in 24hrs???? 2 tablets of travacalm would have me passed out!! :wacko:

Cheers,

Rabs

I follow the same process as Johnno.

Find something that works for you and stcik with it. I have followed this for years with no problems.

Half before bed, the other half with a light breakfast. I sip water for the first few hours regardless of conditions and will not eat until mid morning - then things are good, the body and middle ear have become atuned to the motion and then out they come - Chicken in a biscuit or Chicken Crimpy's are a must have, lunch and few beers, NO RUM. Not sure about having 4 tablets in 24hrs???? 2 tablets of travacalm would have me passed out!! :wacko:

Cheers,

Rabs

As soon as I heard that they stopped making Dramamine I jumped on the phone to the chemist to see if they had any on the shelf (the shop shelf, not the continental shelf).

Anyway as luck would have it my first phone call hit the jackpot. I called

Bova Chemist

Cnr President Ave & Kingsway

Caringbah NSW 2229

ph: (02) 9525 3044

That is the 24 Hour Chemist opposite the station for anyone in the area.

Anyway the chemist in there told me that they are a compounding chemist which means they make their own drugs :thumbup: and that for a while now they have actually been custom making sea sick tablets for Andrew Ettinghausen (E.T.) who needs them allot for his fishing show.

He swears by them and has been giving them a bit of publicity lately and the chemist will soon be actually stocking them. For now though anyone who calls up can but some just by ordering over the phone. You have to order because they make them especially for you.

It is a bit like The Matrix. You have to swallow a blue pill then a red pill..... Then do it every four hours like the rest of the sea sick tablets.

Apparently they are not quite like Dramamine, Quells or Travelcalm, and they are made so you don't get gassy or sick.

I ordered mine yesterday and will be picking them up today.

I just thought I should let the raiders in on the hot tip !!

Dan

STUGERON

This is not available in Australia but is over-the-counter in Singapore and pretty easy to get in the UK, dont know about elsewhere. I get my parents to load up for me when they travel overseas and have about 5 years supply in the cupbord.

My dad who is a yachty got onto this and it works VERY well with minimal or no drowsiness at least compared to other medications for sea sickness. It works on the inner ear to prevent nausia and on the stomach to prevent vomiting.

Here is some further info: http://www.rx-market.net/med/stugeron.html

As soon as I heard that they stopped making Dramamine I jumped on the phone to the chemist to see if they had any on the shelf (the shop shelf, not the continental shelf).

Anyway as luck would have it my first phone call hit the jackpot. I called

Bova Chemist

Cnr President Ave & Kingsway

Caringbah NSW 2229

ph: (02) 9525 3044

That is the 24 Hour Chemist opposite the station for anyone in the area.

Anyway the chemist in there told me that they are a compounding chemist which means they make their own drugs :thumbup: and that for a while now they have actually been custom making sea sick tablets for Andrew Ettinghausen (E.T.) who needs them allot for his fishing show.

He swears by them and has been giving them a bit of publicity lately and the chemist will soon be actually stocking them. For now though anyone who calls up can but some just by ordering over the phone. You have to order because they make them especially for you.

It is a bit like The Matrix. You have to swallow a blue pill then a red pill..... Then do it every four hours like the rest of the sea sick tablets.

Apparently they are not quite like Dramamine, Quells or Travelcalm, and they are made so you don't get gassy or sick.

I ordered mine yesterday and will be picking them up today.

I just thought I should let the raiders in on the hot tip !!

Dan

Hi Dan...

they sound like worth a go...

only problem for me would be that i would be worried about confusing them with my M&M's.. :insane:

let me know how it works out for you...

Cheers Warnie...

Incidently....

very early on in years when first introduced to fishing from a boat i went through a period of been seasick

every time i went fishing regardless of the conditions after near on two years of putting up with this i decided that

i loved my fishing but had to come up with a better alternative.....so of to the doc i go..i told him

apart from the syptoms of being obviously crook this would also continue into monday were at work i was tired run down and felt like crap

explained i was taking kwell's and washing it down with coca-cola...copious amount's actually

so he ran some test's on me....... it turn's out what i thought was seasickness was actually a reaction to Hyscocine

(think its spelt like that) the main ingrediant in that tablet... and it would be best trying an alternative containing an antihistamine so i did the first one i picked up in my hands which was dramamine...

and have never been sick on a boat from that time on.......as for the crapiness i was feeling the day after it

it so happens i was just reacting from coming down from the huge high i was experiancing from all the sugar hit......the copious amounts of coca-cola that is....and changing to diet coke for me fixed that problem.....

along with what as all ready been said getting confidence in a remedy that works for one self is vitually important

hence my horror to when i heard that dramamine has been discontinued... the truth of the matter for me is

i would like to think that i now pocess sea leg's and it won't affect me....but for the mere fact of just taking one tablet before i go fishing i have never wanted to take the chance....

so as for the alternative options available as you have allready guessed i am all ears...

but for those of you that still suffer may i suggest that maybe a simple change of tablet may just make all the differance.....

Cheers Warnie...

thats very interesting warnie!

just goes to show that it can be something else that knocks you around...

It also can be from the boats themselves...

I dont get sea sick on trailer boats really anymore, its the different motion on big boats that affects me.

it could be that im used to trailerboats as i did my first 4 years gamefishing in them and have only done the odd trip out on the bigger boats (more so now but they have been spread out and mostly tournaments, where as my trailer boat fishing was every weekend..

Hi Dan...

they sound like worth a go...

only problem for me would be that i would be worried about confusing them with my M&M's.. :insane:

let me know how it works out for you...

Cheers Warnie...

Well I had to shoot off to Hong Kong this morning so will have to wait until I get back now to pick them up...

:(

Hi guys and gals,

I am relatively new to this site so i offer my thanks in advance.

I was wondering if anyone has tried anything that works. I will try Kwells next time but is there something better or can I try to train my body out of it?

Cheers

Joel

Hi Joel

Ive heard that eating ginger helpsand also the trick is to keep your stomach full, i know this sounds daft as you expect it to all go over the side but it works for me, also if possible try to lie down when you feel the sickest

hope this helps

bunney10

Hi Joel

also if possible try to lie down when you feel the sickest

hope this helps

bunney10

Hi joel...

Sorry tend to disagree with you on that one.........

.have yet to see someone who is feeling that sick

that they have to lie down........actually bounce back up if they do there back down pretty quickly...

on the other hand when that feeling of uneasyiness comes on a person..if you stand as best as you can upright and train your eyes on the horizon and breath in the fresh air...

that seems to work much better on those that are affected i feel....

Cheers Warnie....

Hi Joel

Ive heard that eating ginger helpsand also the trick is to keep your stomach full, i know this sounds daft as you expect it to all go over the side but it works for me, also if possible try to lie down when you feel the sickest

hope this helps

bunney10

Hi Bunney10

It may work for you - but full stomach and lieing down is generally a disaster for people who come out with me!

Empty (or close to empty) stomach....

And keep your eyes on a fixed point on the horizen, breath deeply, remove your coat (you respond better when your cold)

Looking down is the worst thing you can do.

Mike